SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the lifespan of a lightly driven vehicle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the lifespan of a lightly driven vehicle? Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
From what you have described I would say that the salt is your biggest enemy. It gets slung into places that is tough to rinse off. And eventually it will rust. And that won't keep it from driving, just make it a tad ugly.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
...how long?.....

....I recently 're-inherited' my dad's 73 Camper special, Chev 3/4ton 454. Just under 91000 original miles.

Been in the family since new. Got a few rust blossoms under the box bed paint in a few places but otherwise solid.

Very pleasant to drive.....well, except for that old-school 10mpg business....

still, when the payment book was burned decades ago, what's a little gasoline cost? Yes, I use the real stuff @ $4/gal. The roll-up windows are a blast from the past but the power steering/hydromatic 4 speed/air conditioning are all as good as ever.

I expect my grandson might be interested......

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got a 2002 Chevy Silverado

Mine has 272,000 miles on the original engine and trans, no rebuilds.

I'd say you're good for a bit. Wink

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have a 2002 Chevy 1500 Z-71 with ~125K miles on it and it still runs great. I have only ever had to replace the water pump and now I think I have to replace the AC compressor. I also need to replace the pitman arm and idler arm, but these things happen with time. I plan to keep this truck another 5 years until I save enough to put a good down payment on the next truck I want.

I have always made sure to change every fluid and any other maintenance when scheduled. At 100,000 miles I changed every fluid the vehicle had whether the manual said to or not. You should be able to enjoy your truck for a good while with that low of mileage as long as it is taken care of.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
dad put 500K miles on a mid 90's Silverado. Original engine was replaced at 65K due to oil leaking out after a dealer oil change, but the truck was still running strong when someone finally convinced him to get a new one just 2 or 3 years ago. Keep care of it and drive it a few times a year and it will last as long as you do.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Still has the 8+ year old gas in. Had to crank it for 30 seconds or so until it started. Carb doesn't leak. Fires up after a few cranks now. I'm trying to burn up the gas in it so I can get some new fuel in it. I think the whole fuel stabilizer theory is way overblown.

Depends a lot on how critical the system is burning the gas. Good luck running old gas in a chainsaw. When I was a kid we used to run "white gas" in the chainsaws (back when most gas was leaded). It didn't have all the aromatics and other garbage that turns to jelly in the floatbowl.
I agree. The "gas goes bad in 60 days" theory has always struck me as odd. Sure, there may be some minor chemical changes that affect the burn rate, but so do air temperature, humidity, altitude, etc.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
How well would 8+ year old gas run in a modern vehicle with all the fancy computers and electronics?

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I just started up my 67 GTO last week. Hasn't left my driveway since 2009. Last time I started it was about 4 years ago I think. Nothing wrong with it other than I just don't have the time to mess with it, but that is changing this year. My boys are 6 & 7, and they are really excited I finally decided to fire it up.

Still has the 8+ year old gas in. Had to crank it for 30 seconds or so until it started. Carb doesn't leak. Fires up after a few cranks now. I'm trying to burn up the gas in it so I can get some new fuel in it. I think the whole fuel stabilizer theory is way overblown.

I am sure your truck will be fine for many years to come.

Try driving it and putting a load on the engine with that gas in it.

It is true gas starts to degrade in octane at about 3 months. I deal with a lot of small ribs (tenders/boats) that sit mostly. If the gas is in them even with stabilizer for a year. The 25-50 hp 4 stroke outboards need everything in the fuel system replaced. Carbs or injectors, high pressure fuel pumps, low pressure fuel pumps, fuel lines etc etc. even with rec 90.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
How well would 8+ year old gas run in a modern vehicle with all the fancy computers and electronics?

Probably better than the old one. The computers can adjust for E85, so they can probably handle “bad” gas better too.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I drove nothing but 80's cars for my whole life until I purchased my first new car (current one) . These were (4) first generation CRX and one third generation civic. All were driven~ 4,000 miles per year. Civic and one of the CRXs were driven slightly more.

All were sold running with no repairs needed at time of sale. Not a single one of them had anything dry rot. Only tiny bits of rust in rear wheel wells, which was very common for them. The last of them was sold in 2012, a 1986 CRX Si with 79,000 miles on the odometer. I wish I had it back. That 26 year old car got better gas mileage and was way better off the line than its replacement.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The newer fuels have a lot of additives, and they have Ethanol, that older Goat won't like 8 year old Ethanol, it will destroy all the rubber parts in the fuel line system, so be sure to not put it in your classic GTO as the rubber bits are not made for Ethanol fuels.

I drained my Generator and let it sit for two or three years before needing to start it, apparently there was some fuel left in the carb, it had turned to varnish, smell, look clearly not burnable. Had to pull and clean the carb out in order for it to run.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Try driving it and putting a load on the engine with that gas in it.

That car gets put "under load" every time it's driven. I don't know any other way to drive it! The 2.5" Dynomax Ultraflows don't start to really rumble until 2500 RPMs!

You shoulda heard my boys when it got up to about 4000 RPMs. Big Grin

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 1959 Impala is about to hit 50,000 miles. When I rebuilt the motor back in 2000 it was clear that there was very little use on the block (original to the car) and that was indeed a low mileage car. I've put about 8000 miles on it in the past 18 years.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have a 2002 Ford F150 XL SWB with 24,500 miles on it. Bought it new. It has had the fuel pump and coil replaced. It is driven weekly.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post