SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the lifespan of a lightly driven vehicle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the lifespan of a lightly driven vehicle? Login/Join 
posted
I've got a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD that gets used for occasional errands when I need large items and plowing my driveway in the winter. It is stored indoors and has had a relatively easy life.

I got it in late 2001, so it is going on 17 years old but only has 24,000 miles. No leaks, no problems whatsoever. I take it to the dealer for an annual oil change and have them look it over. So far, it hasn't suffered any failures of seals or hoses due to age.

What should I expect? Can I drive this thing for another 20, or will I come out to a pile of dust and puddle of fluids in the garage someday?

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I had a 1985 Ford F-150 that saw a similar life. It is still doing fine in my Cousins garage 15 years after I sold it to him. He REALLY uses it as it now has 40K miles on it.

I'd think at least a good warm up and some miles monthly is better than just sitting there for months on end. Keeps things lubed up.

No Salt exposure? THAT would be a big one IMHO.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Keep the fuel tank full to help prevent condensation from forming. StaBil added to the fuel as well.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For one reason or another, it gets a plowing session or a trip to town (40 miles round trip) at least once a month.

Very minimal salt exposure. It might pick up a bit when I am doing the part of the driveway out by the county road, but that is low speed, not being sprayed into every crevice by highway speeds. Once I mount the plow in November, it usually doesn't see the highway until Spring.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aside from having the odd rubber and plastic stuff dry rotting, you shouldn’t have anymore issues than a relatively newish truck for the next 20 years, driven the same way.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
There will come a day when parts will be of the salvage yard variety. You’re already there for some. Then it will be someone who understands the old technology. Good luck finding a guy to work on a carburetor and points these days (as an example I know you have neither ).I’m betting your golden for 10 more years.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If not on your list, I'd bleed the brake fluid completely every couple years, five at the most.

A lot of rubber will deteriorate from age and there's little you can do, but water in the hydroscopic brake fluid will destroy calipers, lines and master cylinders.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Mom had a 1963 Chevy fleetside 1/2 ton pickup on her ranch that saw very occassional use for very short usage here and there, not enough to warm up. Thirty years later with 26,000 miles on it the old six cylinder engine needed an overhaul and the block had to be replaced as the cylinders were oval. After putting a longblock in it, they ran it for another five years or so, then sold it to someone dying to restore it.

Our 2002 Sequoia is going strong with 107k miles on it, after having spent several years as an “airport car”, sitting in a hangar wit the battery disconnected for months at a time, then getting used for a few days when we flew there to visit. It is seeing heavier use now that our son turned 16 and got his driver’s license.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
With regular maintenance, and replacement of those parts that will dry rot or otherwise age out, effectively forever.

That said, the cost of those dry rotting and ageing parts will eventually get significant. For example, at some point, the suspension bushings will fail, and they will need to be replaced. Some permanently sealed bearings will give out as their lubrication degrades and can't be replaced. Insulation on wiring will crack and cause shorts or even, possibly electrical fires. Contacts, computer ignition systems, and such will get internal corrosion or grow copper "whiskers" which will cause them to fail. Interior upholstery, dash lights, etc. will begin to degrade.

The truck will be fine; individual components will eventually age out, and will become increasingly difficult to source for replacement.

As others have said, I imagine that you have at least another 10 good years in it. The biggest problem you will face is failure of the computerized or solid state electronics in it. Those are not a problem for the guys with cars and trucks from the '40s through the mid '70s, but they will eventually be a problem for you.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
every June the tiny town where I live has a car show with 100 -130 cars in it.

it has its share of ultra high priced hot rods and custom builds in it , and another 25-30 totally re-done to o.e.m. spec vehicles.

but there are always 14-20 people who walk out to their second garage and back out the "59"-"69" or "1975" cars
that have only been marginally maintained meticulously ,

they proceed to pull off the car cover and
drive it to the show for 5 hours and have an enjoyable day in the shade of a nearby tree.

some have 200 or three hundred miles per year on them

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I just started up my 67 GTO last week. Hasn't left my driveway since 2009. Last time I started it was about 4 years ago I think. Nothing wrong with it other than I just don't have the time to mess with it, but that is changing this year. My boys are 6 & 7, and they are really excited I finally decided to fire it up.

Still has the 8+ year old gas in. Had to crank it for 30 seconds or so until it started. Carb doesn't leak. Fires up after a few cranks now. I'm trying to burn up the gas in it so I can get some new fuel in it. I think the whole fuel stabilizer theory is way overblown.

I am sure your truck will be fine for many years to come.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have my Grandpa and Grandma’s 84 Oldsmobile out in the garage. It looks nice and runs great. So at least 34 years I guess, if it’s always gargaged and maintained. Driving them periodically helps a lot with preventing deterioration.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Still has the 8+ year old gas in. Had to crank it for 30 seconds or so until it started. Carb doesn't leak. Fires up after a few cranks now. I'm trying to burn up the gas in it so I can get some new fuel in it. I think the whole fuel stabilizer theory is way overblown.

I agree. The "gas goes bad in 60 days" theory has always struck me as odd. Sure, there may be some minor chemical changes that affect the burn rate, but so do air temperature, humidity, altitude, etc.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2000 Nissan Frontier that has a little over 120k miles, and it's still going strong. It was driven a lot the first 7 years, but very little after that. I used regular oil the first 75K miles, and switched to a "high mileage" blend (synthetic and reg blend), after that.

A friend has a 2004 Chevy pickup, with about 50k miles, and it too is still going strong.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It could, in theory, last until it is reclaimed by nature, i.e., rusted to the ground. Big Grin

Despite the relatively easy use you've given it, this generation of GM truck, I have found, has a real problem with steel brake lines between the cab and frame rusting out and leaking, as well as the one going to the rear between the frame and fuel tank. I'd check those.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
My wife has a 92 Mercury Sable in the garage that she drives less than 500 miles a year.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
My 02 2500HD has 78,000 miles on it. It’s a weekend truck and pulls our Fifth wheel once a month for 2 seasons. A couple years back I changed out all the fluids in the drivetrain to make sure they stayed fresh.

Other than that, not much had been done outside of changing out the shocks and tires. Tires should be changed out every 8 years regardless of wear.

It’s been about 10years on the plugs and wires so that may be a task for this summer,

What drivetrain does your truck have. Mine has the 8.1l/Allison and is a towing beast.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

I have the 5.3 gas engine

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
No long ownership cars here. I did keep my 83 jeep for 17 years. Too long. I did run synthetic oil and grease from the get go. It was used heavily until the last few years. My prior experience showed brake parts went with little warning. I attacked that problem early, too. I bought DOT5 synthetic fluid, the purple stuff.

The theory on brake damage is the cast iron parts, master cylinder, calipers and rear cylinders seem to suck moisture from the air. The cast iron isn't really waterproof. Every time you push the brake pedal, it forces the fluid into the iron. Water seems to migrate too until the two meet in the iron. Then the mix continues in the fluid. A slow process that eventually contaminates the fluid inside and you have a problem. You can solve it by using better brake fluid. The stuff Corvette owners also discovered a while back.

On the gasoline thing. Alcohol isn't your friend and its not overblown. Get the to a boat yard that sells gasoline without the alcohol. Take your car for a drive until you run out of gas, then refill the tank with the cans in the trunk. Only then is it smart to use stabilizer.
That method fills the fuel pump an all the lines with good fuel.

Oh, my gunshow partner has his grandfathers '48 chevy parked in his barn. No, it doesn't run. Seems to be aging real well under this usage.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Excellent points. I will add that I run DOT4 silicone brake fluid in my GTO, and I bleed the brake lines in all of our other vehicles every few years (DOT 3).

Been a busy few weekends. I did front & rear diff, transfer case, transmission and engine oil and antifreeze in our 2 4WD vehicles and oil/ATF/Antifreeze in our 93 Honda. Preventative maintenance and all that.

I need to flush the brake lines in all 3... Always seems to be something.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post