SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recipe ideas using home-grown hot peppers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recipe ideas using home-grown hot peppers? Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

My teenage son was all into hot peppers this spring so he planted quite a few plants in our garden. We've harvested a lot and now are looking for some recipe ideas. We've got Serranos, Jalapenos, Habaneros, and Gong Bao peppers. Any specific recipes you'd recommend to highlight the distinctiveness of each of these? Note that even though these are pretty hot, we're more about the flavor than a lot of heat. I'm thinking some sort of hearty chili (with beans of course), and a Thai dish for the gong bao's. What might you recommend? Thanks.

Chris

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
one dozen eggs
1/2 pound cheese
2 diced peppers
one pound sausage

cook sausage, add peppers, eggs, cheese, and scramble eggs.

Serve in flour tortilla.

Breakfast burrito served.

I would use the Jalapeno or habanero peppers for this.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
three pounds ground beef, one pound sausage, one package Bear Creek cheddar cheese and broccoli soup mix, mix in two Serrano peppers (diced), and four habaneros (diced).

Mix all together, bake at 350 for one hour 10 minutes.

habaneros for the sweetness and heat, serranos for the flavor.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boil up some white vinegar and pour it over any number and type of peppers you want. Makes great pepper sauce for use on damn near anything!

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have a lot of peppers to deal with. If you have or have access to a dehydrator just process them for long term usage. They will last for years that way and you can use them at your leisure as you acquire recipes.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
This a cold weather favorite, scale it up.

http://www.pepperfool.com/reci...s_paprika_chili.html

http://www.pepperfool.com/reci...can/albondigas2.html

http://www.pepperfool.com/recipe_home.html

And lots of other recipes at Pepperfool.

http://www.mybigfatcubanfamily...07/picadillo-recipe/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
It sounds like you have a lot of peppers to deal with. If you have or have access to a dehydrator just process them for long term usage. They will last for years that way and you can use them at your leisure as you acquire recipes.

Jim

I’m dehydrating my Habaneros and then grinding them to powder in a coffee grinder. A little added to a recipe provides both heat and flavor. Also, just found out that the plant will supposedly live thru the winter by potting it and keeping it inside until Spring. Going to give that a try and see if it works (and maybe harvest a few more peppers during the middle of winter).

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
Boil up some white vinegar and pour it over any number and type of peppers you want. Makes great pepper sauce for use on damn near anything!

Pepper vinegar is great and super easy. I have a lot of different hot sauces in my fridge, but I always keep some pepper vinegar for beans and greens and stuff like that.

An easy next step up in complexity is a simple pepper chow-chow. Basically just chop up equal amounts of onion and peppers really fine, stick it in a jar, and put in enough vinegar to cover it.

Beyond that there's a whole spectrum of ways to make your own hot sauce that range from peppers and vinegar in a blender to adding all kinds of different ingredients and/or cooking and/or fermenting and/or smoking the peppers first and so on and so on.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Pickle them peppers. They are better that way and stay preserved longer.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to work with a guy that grew them. He was an amateur chef and would bring in things he had cooked. He would take the peppers and hang them in bunches on a string and let them dry. Then he would grind them up to about the size of a grain of sugar or salt. He would put it in cheap salt shakers and give them out. I used to keep one in my lunch box and one at home. It added a lot of flavor.

Posts: 620 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It took 9 posts for someone to say "Chili"?
Tis' the season for a good Chili!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
Here's a super simple way to experience the flavor of the peppers while taming the heat.

Slice the peppers fairly thin. Remove the seeds and such. Smear cream cheese on a Triscuit. Lay on a pepper slice and enjoy.

Seriously.

You'll thank me.

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also grow hot peppers every year. I like to core them(remove seeds and veins) and stuff them with bacon(cooked ...bits) and Mexican 4 cheese. Then onto the grill for 10-15 min. and the cheese is melted. Yum!!

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Atomic. buffalo turds. Delicious jalepeno popper recipe.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Habenero Sauce

Three habaneros
Three Jalapenos
Three cloves garlic
Half a white onion sliced
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp Garlic salt

Add all to 2 1/2 cups water and boil then simmer
covered for about half an hour.
Add the whole shebang to your blender with a TBL
of vegetable oil to make it slippery.You may have to
chop the garlic so it doesn't bounce around in the blender.
It'll be hot and very distinctive.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lbsid,

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I don't have a recipe, but for years I had a Tabasco plant. They're my favorite, and cooking with fresh peppers can't be beat.

I should really cultivate another plant. I don't know about other peppers, but Tabasco plants don't carry on forever.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Can't help much with recipes, as all I grow are cayenne peppers. Here's most of my crop this year from just four plants, hanging up to dry and then I'll crush them up into powder and enjoy.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frog in boiling water
posted Hide Post
Dry them and add them to olive oil.
I do this and use the oil throughout the year.

Posts: 429 | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Finely ground Jalapeno and Habanero is fantastic.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I use three of those peppers in my homemade salsa:

My typical ingredient list is:

8 lbs of tomatoes
1 large yellow onion(1015) and 2 white onions
2 full cloves of garlic
12 jalapeno (seeds and membranes removed from 6)
6 Serrano (seeds and membranes removed from 3)
2 Habanero (seeds and membranes removed from 1.5)
1 head of cilantro
2 small cans of tomato paste
salt to taste
enough white wine vinegar to de-glaze as described below.

First press your tomatoes after rough chopping them to get as much water out of them as possible. This will keep your salsa from being watery. Chop onions and garlic. Blanch peppers and then dice them and mix together...I usually pull them off of the blanch, seed them as described above, and then throw them all together into the food processor for a rough chop. The heat of your salsa will be determined by how much of the seeds and membranes you leave in the peppers and I like a bit of kick so adjust the amount of seeds and membranes you leave in the peppers before chopping . If you set aside the extra seeds and membranes that you remove they can be added back later to increase the heat.

The secret is a good base:

Get a big pot and throw your chopped onions in with some olive oil and caramelize. When the onions get soft throw your chopped garlic in and stir. Then add your chopped peppers to this mix and stir for a minute or two. Now push all of that to the sides of the pot and put your tomato past in the middle. The heat will release the tomato flavor from the paste as you work it into the garlic/onion/pepper mix. Now use the white wine vinegar to de-glaze the bottom of the pot and then add your chopped tomatoes to the mix. Bring this mix to a simmer for 5 minutes and add a head of chopped cilantro. I usually hit it with an immersion blender to get the consistency I want then turn off the heat. Can the extra while it's hot if you want to safe it for the future or just put in jars and share with SigForum members via a Karma Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post