SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a title for the guy whose daughter married my son?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a title for the guy whose daughter married my son? Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
I can’t find one with the search terms I can think of.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
They are just the "In-laws" now yeah?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6251 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I use the word "in-laws" myself although technically it is incorrect. I'm from Missouri, so there are many words like warsh rag that we use incorrectly.

They are not your in-laws by true definition, they are your son's in-laws. Your son's wife's father would be your daughter in-law's father. I don't believe there are any words beyond that in our language for that relationship.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Co-dad? (Unless you're in San fransissysco)

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
My daughter recently got married. I hit it off pretty well with the groom's father. we just call each other by our first names.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Son's Father-in-Law
or
Daughter-in-Law's Father

Can't think of a specific word other then that.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Son's Father-in-Law
or
Daughter-in-Law's Father

Can't think of a specific word other then that.
I suspect the Scandinavians have a word for it--their languages have a lot of very specific relationships.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I call the father of the woman that my brother married “Gordy”

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Once our daughter had a baby I referred to Leroy as my “co-Grandpa” since now we’re joined by DNA.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Cousin-in-law.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parent

Or is it...
My sibling's married partner's Parent?

Someone had to say it... Big Grin

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If you're Spanish it's Consuergo. But if you're not, then it's your daughter in law's father.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Whistle Britch's

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
my mom's accurate-enough listing of such clan members both present & previous:

in-laws
out-laws
un-laws

depending how how big any brewing feud was at the time

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
If you're Spanish it's Consuergo. But if you're not, then it's your daughter in law's father.

This one seems the most descriptive. I refer to them as the inlaws in the plural. But I've been building an AR for my DIL's father and needed to reference him by a term other than his name to those who don't know him but need to know who he is. lol You'd think the English language would have developed a single word for that by now...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Drinking buddies.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, don't refer to him as DILF. Eek

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I call mine Ron.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Once our son and his wife had their first child we all discussed what we wanted to be referred to as.. mine wan Nono, Italian for grandfather. His is......Ace.

Go figure.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I saw Sig Monkey post I thought it would be this.

There is a specific term in Yiddish for the relationship between the parents of a husband and wife: machatunim.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post