SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wifi range extender vs AP, explain it to me
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wifi range extender vs AP, explain it to me Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Need to access two rooms-chambers. W
Have an AP nearby but no signal and wonder if one of those thingies that plug into a power socket will do the trick or I ned a better solution

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I have the power line system in my house.

Router is upstairs in my office and the secondary AP is downstairs in the living area on the far side of the house.

I was initially worried about linking across power breakers, but so far no, problem. Linksys I believe. Not blazing fast down there, but I didn't expect it to be.

Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
An AP (Access Point) is essentially just an Ethernet (wired) <-> radio... "protocol converter." It does no routing. Think Ethernet switch kind of a deal, except one side is WiFi. Or Ethernet bridge. It may have a DHCP server.

A WiFi router is an AP with a router. A cable (or DSL, or U-verse, or...) modem with WiFi is a cable (etc.) modem + router + AP.

A WiFi range extender is just an AP that uses another WiFi network for its network connection, rather than a wired Ethernet connection.

The powerline networking stuff I can't help you with. I've no experience with them.

I'll ask this, though: When you say you have an AP "nearby": What do you mean by "nearby?"

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
The area is an open loading dock with room for two trucks and there s a SOHO AP to one side of it. It hasn t been used tested to this day. To one side there s an entrance to two cool stocking chambers and the plan is to start using wireless data collectors to check the pallets and stuff stored in those chambers.

We are baby stepping with the wifi data collector devices, borrowed one while one is being imported for purchase.

I need to be able to provide wifi signal in those two cool chambers. Walls are thick as a medieval castle it s a cold strage factory dated from a. Entury ago.All solid brick, mortar, concrete, pipes, tubes, u name it.

0-0

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sounds like you would need hard wire into that area for reliable network access.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that WiFi range extenders suffer a severe decrease in throughput speed as opposed to an AP, hence the reason I stayed away from them. I installed two wired AP's in my home, connected through a Netgear switch to a Netgear router, and I have strong/fast WiFi throughout the home as well as my pool deck and most of the yard. I would not opt to use extenders.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Extenders communicate simplex (one way) over wifi with another device.

Lower throughput.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
The area is an open loading dock with room for two trucks and there s a SOHO AP to one side of it. It hasn t been used tested to this day. To one side there s an entrance to two cool stocking chambers and the plan is to start using wireless data collectors to check the pallets and stuff stored in those chambers.

We are baby stepping with the wifi data collector devices, borrowed one while one is being imported for purchase.

I need to be able to provide wifi signal in those two cool chambers. Walls are thick as a medieval castle it s a cold storage factory dated from a century ago. All solid brick, mortar, concrete, pipes, tubes, u name it.

0-0

If you can run cable to the spot of your AP then this is the best solution.
If not there are some "new" devices on the market that are akin to extenders but much better > MESH.
You have one hard wired AP and additional devices and not connected by cable.
These devices "intelligently" Eek communicate with the other "pods" / devices.
EnGenius EnMesh are an example of such devices.
These installations are not as good as a properly designed and installed multi-AP environment but are significantly easier to install and generally aimed at a large home environment.
YMMV

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
If you're using an Android device, there's a handy free app called WiFi Analyzer that will let you check what signal strength you're getting in those areas, if any.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
No Android.

Been strugling for the past two years to have the whole factory rewired professionally. The current wiring was laid down on the fly and it now a rotten mess. You couldn t have two feet certifiesd at 10Mbs speed even with death threats.

Am trying to run a chsap test with stuff localy available. But here stuff is twice as expensive with a courth of the income

If and when the wiring is done by pros the wofi will use ubiquity gear 0-0

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:

I need to be able to provide wifi signal in those two cool chambers. Walls are thick as a medieval castle it s a cold storage factory dated from a century ago. All solid brick, mortar, concrete, pipes, tubes, u name it.

0-0

If you can run cable to the spot of your AP then this is the best solution.
If not there are some "new" devices on the market that are akin to extenders but much better > MESH.
You have one hard wired AP and additional devices and not connected by cable.
These devices "intelligently" Eek communicate with the other "pods" / devices.
EnGenius EnMesh are an example of such devices.
These installations are not as good as a properly designed and installed multi-AP environment but are significantly easier to install and generally aimed at a large home environment.
YMMV
Aren't the 'MESH' setups primarily designed for home use? Also, with the MESH devices, do you have the ability to allocate bandwidth to specific devices while throttling others? That's one feature I love in my setup to guaranteed my streaming on my family room TV is unencumbered by my son and his friends gaming, streaming, and other internet travels.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post