SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RF7, piston rings and car life expectancy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RF7, piston rings and car life expectancy Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I changed the oil in my car. About 6k miles since the last oil change. Basically, very low on oil (so burning about 6 qts over 6K miles or 1 qt per 1000 miles). No signs of leaks so the suspicion is just burning oil that slips past the rings.

Shop recommended and put in RF7. Not sure if it'll help - we'll see at the next oil change (I'll dip stick after about 3k miles).

Question: let's say the oil is being burned and the rings are getting dirty / bad. Is this going to progressively and quickly get worse? Am I facing acute engine failure?

Or if the RF7 works, will the engine still run for another 25k-50k miles (I have 160K on the car now).

I've been planning / hoping for another 25k miles or more. I'm wondering if I need to be saving more aggressively in anticipation of buying a car w/in the next 10-15k miles (2-3 years vs the 5+ years I've been planning). That means no vacations, etc.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Hard to say how long it will last at this point but running a engine low on oil is never a good idea. If it is burning a qt in a 1K miles why would you wait till it is 3qt low at 3k miles to check it? 3qt low is a bunch. I would check it every 1K and add if needed to keep the oil level topped off. This will give you the best chance to have the engine last a little longer. The less oil there is in the oil slump (pan) from full the shorter the life of the engine oil.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Hard to say how long it will last at this point but running a engine low on oil is never a good idea. If it is burning a qt in a 1K miles why would you wait till it is 3qt low at 3k miles to check it? 3qt low is a bunch. I would check it every 1K and add if needed to keep the oil level topped off. This will give you the best chance to have the engine last a little longer. The less oil there is in the oil slump (pan) from full the shorter the life of the engine oil.

THIS, check and add oil once a month.

Usually an engine burning that much oil will consistently stay that way for many miles (unless something is coming apart). Up until early 2000's or newer, on most cars, I would say that amount of consumption is pretty normal.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not worry too much about another 25,000 miles.
The reason I say that is I bought a new Dodge Challenger RT back in 1970. It came with a "FREE" cracked oil pump from factory. I also had several other issues when I picked up the car.

I drove it 20 miles with zero oil pressure after calling dealer and informing him about said oil pressure. He said 5 yr/50K mile warranty.
After they changed the oil pump, I got 300miles per Qt. of oil. That was A Okay with Dodge and they would not do anything with engine with 2,000 miles on car.

The car ran for 50,000 miles before major problems.
So, in your case it may last as long and maybe not, but that is what happened to my first and last new Dodge/Chrysler product.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check that oil every 1000 miles ! Doesn't cost you anything.....add oil as needed.

I don't know anything about RF7 but I'm skeptical about any kind of "snake oil"..

If you really want to squeeze as many miles as possible out of that engine....don't let it run low. Oil is used not only for lubrication but it also helps dissipate heat. Friction and heat are your enemies !

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
RF7

?

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
RF7

?

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog...-rf-7-oil-treatment/

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Yea - I'll check the oil more often.

Hoping that the RF7 helps and that the engine will hold for another 5 years / 25k miles. That will give me time to save for another car.

posted Hide Post
Maybe this can help. God Bless !!!

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW 1qt/1K is considered completely normal by just about every manufacturer. Most (Subaru and BMW for example from personal experience) will not consider 1qt/750 miles a warranty issue.
You need to check your oil and learn what your car uses. Then plan accordingly to not end up low. 1qt/1k is not a durability issue. 3qts low on most modern small engines is bordering on a serious issue.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks - I'll monitor the oil level more carefully now. I need this car to last a little longer.

posted Hide Post
how much smoke are you seeing at startup and/or driving? if not noticeable, you likely don't have ring or valve problems.

You didn't mention model, mileage, etc so its really hard to give a suggestion.
1qt/1k mi is a lot of blow-by for rings or valves. You should be seeing other issues. I would bet it's more likely that the oil is going into the combustion chamber because of something else (sludge, breather, etc).

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Does your car emit smoke when the engine is running? At startup? While driving/accelerating?
The reason I ask is...our '12 Maxima began burning oil at startup (primarily) and any time we went on the interstate for any distance.
After much chasing/diagnosing/trying of things...turns out one valve cover gasket had a leak in it. It was bringing in air from the outside and forcing the oil/air mix through the PCV valve, into the engine.
A change of valve cover gaskets did the trick, sealed it right back up.
Good luck with your car, regardless.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Sometimes a heavier weight of oil helps.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
konata,
What kind of vehicle is this?
Didn't you buy a Lexus GX470 SUV, like the 4Runner, last year?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you keep letting your oil drop that low you’re going to spin a rod bearing and ruin your engine.

Does your engine have cylinder deactivation. Several manufacturers have a system that works but it eats oil instead of gas. They can be shut off with a tuner.

Your amount of oil loss is excessive though

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Develop the habit of checking the oil every time you put gas in it. I drove a 59 Chevrolet pickup for 20+ years using that program.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
This is a 2000 GS300. Still otherwise running well.

Seemed a little more peppy today.... Smile