SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Golden State Killer...caught by DNA from genealogy site
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Golden State Killer...caught by DNA from genealogy site Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Let's be honest, we know how this will play out. It'll take a few years to get to trial in such a complicated case (many victims, many, many counts), he'll get convicted and likely sentenced to "death". Death bring in quotes, because it really means he'll die of old age in San Quentin. California is never going to actually execute someone.

Given his age, they might work out a plea deal, since really anything he would get would work out to life without.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
72 years old. I hope he is healthy and lives quite well and lucid while in prison until the end, whatever that may be.

Truth.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Everyone should be concerned about this. I was considering having DNA testing done, but after seeing this, it's out of the question, now and forever.

I have nothing to hide and I'm not covering for any relative, but DNA testing is no longer even a consideration for me. I am alarmed at how this played out.
Don't misunderstand me- in the case of this serial killer, I think he should be beaten to within an inch of his life and then publicly lynched, but everyone should be concerned about how this guy was found. Very disturbing.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a kid in Sacramento when this was going down. We lived in that part of Sacramento too, so it was real for our family. I just talked to my mom this morning (she's now 81) and she remembers the panic. I was going through some of the Sacramento Bee's news clippings and it shows a town hall event put on by the lead Sac Co investigator - the town hall was hosted by my freaking high school!

Anyway, who's a meme makers here? We need an Ancestory.com logo showing half siblings reconnected and a mug shot of suspected rapists and murders.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
So, does the DA get a warrant to search the DNA services' database? Is it something like "Hey, we think you may have evidence to help us crack a case....let me in."?

From what I'm hearing, the sites use to get the test done were not involved in the case. It appears that the person got the results, then uploaded information onto a public site to search and compare. As it was public, probably no warrant needed.

Had to drive by the area again last night to drop something off down the street. There were no fewer than 4 news media trucks out there (and this was 36 hours AFTER the arrest announcement). Probably back for the late news "live shot - see we're here" item. Two of the trucks were local, one wasn't marked, and the last one was from a Bay Area station.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
If the genealogy company agrees to provide the information to the police,as a third party, no warrant is required.

Probably not what happened, but true nonetheless.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I have seen how this plays out. amazing how more and more this movie seems to be less entertainment and more prophecy.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Everyone should be concerned about this. I was considering having DNA testing done, but after seeing this, it's out of the question, now and forever.

I have nothing to hide and I'm not covering for any relative, but DNA testing is no longer even a consideration for me. I am alarmed at how this played out.

And, in this case, it was even just a relative of his. From an old article I read, they are able to span many generations to make a connection between someone living now and a couple of thousands of years ago. The memory of the article made me google it and here is the link to the 1999 article. DNA Backs a Tribe's Tradition of Early Descent from the Jews

"The Lemba, a Bantu-speaking people of southern Africa, have a tradition that they were led out of Jedea by a man named Buba. They practice circumcision, keep one day a week holy and avoid eating pork or piglike animals, such as the hippopotamus.

But the remarkable thing about the Lemba tradition is that it may be exactly right. A team of geneticists has found that many Lemba men carry in their male chromosome a set of DNA sequences that is distinctive of the cohanim, the Jewish priests believed to be the descendants of Aaron. The genetic signature of priests -- a hereditary caste, different from rabbis but with certain ritual roles -- is particularly common among Lemba men who belong to the senior of their 12 groups, known as the Buba clan."

Besides the bubba reference, I find the whole thing interesting.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on this, but here's the kicker. If a close relative of your has it done, or has their DNA collected for criminal or other reasons, you're basically in the system (whatever system, CODIS or otherwise, it may be), whether you like it or not.

quote:

Don't misunderstand me- in the case of this serial killer, I think he should be beaten to within an inch of his life and then publicly lynched, but everyone should be concerned about how this guy was found. Very disturbing.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So what? I told you that I have nothing to hide. I can't control what other people do, but I can control what I do, and this is something I wish to have nothing to do with. It's a matter of principle, and it's also a matter of certain particulars in this musty old document:

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Precisely.

And this is just one example. What happens when the insurance companies, or government, decides to use this data in other ways?

Even if YOU AND I haven't submitted our information, if our parents have, or our siblings, we might be just as damned as they.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The latest story I read is that the DNA results were taken from one of the pay companies by a user(s) and uploaded to another website that is kind of a free and open internet version of the pay sites. I guess DNA results can be reduced to something like a computer program and moved from computer to computer.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Everyone should be concerned about this.
You are right on!

Glad they caught the guy, but I find the search warrant issuing troubling for the wrong guy over one marker?

Oregon man misidentified as suspect in CA killings

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Investigators trying to hunt down the so-called Golden State Killer used information from genetic websites a year ago and misidentified an elderly Oregon man as a possible suspect.
Court records obtained by The Associated Press show that in March 2017 investigators in Clackamas County, Oregon, convinced a judge to order the 73-year-old man to provide a DNA sample.

The documents said they used a genetic profile based off DNA from crime scenes linked to the serial killer and compared it to information from genealogical websites. They created a family tree and used public records to identify the Oregon man.

Investigators also cited a rare genetic marker, which the Oregon man shared with the killer, to get the judge to issue the order.

Earlier this week, police say they arrested the right man for a dozen killings and 50 rapes from 1976 to 1986. He is Joseph DeAngelo, a 72-year-old former police officer who lived in the Sacramento area

http://www.koin.com/news/local...-killings/1147368349

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2 types of people..Those with Guns and those who dig!
Picture of USMC-PRIDE
posted Hide Post
Agree with this and your previous posts as well.

quote:
So what? I told you that I have nothing to hide. I can't control what other people do, but I can control what I do, and this is something I wish to have nothing to do with. It's a matter of principle, and it's also a matter of certain particulars in this musty old document:

---------------------------------------
"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence."-----Charles Beard

Posts: 1104 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: July 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm not DNA testing anything. Your DNA is someone's hands, what could possibly go wrong? Call me tinfoil whatever, I don't give a damn.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
quote:
Everyone should be concerned about this.
You are right on!

Glad they caught the guy, but I find the search warrant issuing troubling for the wrong guy over one marker?

Oregon man misidentified as suspect in CA killings

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Investigators trying to hunt down the so-called Golden State Killer used information from genetic websites a year ago and misidentified an elderly Oregon man as a possible suspect.
Court records obtained by The Associated Press show that in March 2017 investigators in Clackamas County, Oregon, convinced a judge to order the 73-year-old man to provide a DNA sample.

The documents said they used a genetic profile based off DNA from crime scenes linked to the serial killer and compared it to information from genealogical websites. They created a family tree and used public records to identify the Oregon man.

Investigators also cited a rare genetic marker, which the Oregon man shared with the killer, to get the judge to issue the order.

Earlier this week, police say they arrested the right man for a dozen killings and 50 rapes from 1976 to 1986. He is Joseph DeAngelo, a 72-year-old former police officer who lived in the Sacramento area

http://www.koin.com/news/local...-killings/1147368349

I loathe the idea of the government having access to anything resembling my DNA, however I do agree that if they have probable cause to obtain a potential suspect's DNA to compare to that of a serial killer, the warrant or court order should be issued.

-JALLEN

King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Let's be honest, we know how this will play out. It'll take a few years to get to trial in such a complicated case (many victims, many, many counts), he'll get convicted and likely sentenced to "death". Death bring in quotes, because it really means he'll die of old age in San Quentin. California is never going to actually execute someone.

Given his age, they might work out a plea deal, since really anything he would get would work out to life without.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
72 years old. I hope he is healthy and lives quite well and lucid while in prison until the end, whatever that may be.

Truth.

Yup and it is ridiculous. In 2016 we had 2 death penalty measures. Prop 62 to repeal the DP, which was defeated. Prop 66 to speed up the DP process and maximize all appeals and what-not to 5 years passed. It would seem the majority of those willing to vote want the DP and want it to actually happen, instead of being dragged on in Appelate Court for 30 years. CA Supreme Court upheld Prop 66, as well. Still doubt anyone will be executed anytime soon. Start killing some of these shit bags.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Here is an article with slightly more clarification:

https://www.policeone.com/inve...tate-Killer-suspect/

-JALLEN

posted Hide Post
These DNA collection websites/services will prove to be a useful government tool.... Eek

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Too bad. I just saw him being pushed into court on a wheelchair. So it looks like he'll just move into a government old people's home.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I can see the day that when a baby is born his/her DNA sample will be taken and put in a data base for future reference...

Not sure how I feel about it. There are pros and cons...

Bad idea. Plain and simple. Should we all be fingerprinted at the DMV now?

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post