SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cosequin?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cosequin? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
My little 12 year old Shih-Tzu started having difficulty walking up stairs about 3 months ago, and last week she stopped going down stairs. We bought some Cosequin today and are hoping for the best. Has anyone had good luck with this on their dogs?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Yes! I have been using it on my Golden Retriever for several years. Honestly think that keeping her at a healthy weight and using the Cosequin saved her from needing hip surgery.

You can also ask your vet for some Rimadyl it's a NSAID for pets and works wonders!
https://www.rimadyl.com

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P226RN:
Yes! I have been using it on my Golden Retriever for several years. Honestly think that keeping her at a healthy weight and using the Cosequin saved her from needing hip surgery.

You can also ask your vet for some Rimadyl it's a NSAID for pets and works wonders!

That's good to hear! I hope this gives her back some mobility. We'll ask our vet about Rimadyl on Monday.

A quick side note, P226RN, you probably don't remember, but several years ago I won a karma of yours for a Chronicles of Narnia DVD. Well, my kids about burned a hole in it in the DVD player from watching it so much. Thanks again!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Awwww that's great! Most welcome! Good luck with your pup!

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cosequin DS is what I give my JRT's. They eat it like a treat, kid you not. After about a month my 7 year old was noticeably more "nimble" around stairs, it has definitely made a difference for her. For the price you pay I think its a great supplement. If you have a Costco near you it's on sale right now for cheap compared to regular price, picked up a 180 tablet bottle for $20.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
My mother worked for a vet who used to regularly recommend that for older dogs. It is basically the K9 version of Glucosamine.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
We gave it to our 10 year old arthritic Golden, without success. We then gave our dog fish oil supplements, but she had an adverse reaction of throwing up and diarrhea .

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P226RN:

My old dear departed Golden had more fun years added to his life with Rimadyl (and later Rimadyl+Tramadol).

The cosequin didn't really seem to help at all in his case but I'm tempted to get some from Costco if it's on sale for the 2 Goldens I have now.
My other dog's hips may have just been to far gone at by then or with his body chemistry it just didn't work out.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Good stuff. Sometimes it takes more than one supplement to do the job. We have older dogs and use it.

We also add Trixyn, which lubricated the joints. It's an excellent supplement.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last dog lived to be 16 & she was a bigger dog ( about 80 pounds. ) I used it on her for maybe the last 6 yrs. I would wonder if it was doing any good for her so I decided to stop giving it to her once I ran out. Sure enough, after about 3-5 days, I would notice that she'd be a lot stiffer after her naps. Figured it was because I took her off. Started her up again & she seemed better. Worked for her. It is suppose to be ok to give even at younger ages so my male Husky has been on it since he was about 3, but he gets a ton of exercise so it's mainly for preventative measures.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post