SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the best Firearm advise you’ve been given?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best Firearm advise you’ve been given? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"Guns will never be cheaper than they are right now."

(man that advice put me in some debt.) Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Keep it loaded, safe from others meddling fingers, and learn that trigger. Someone earlier mentioned “prep the trigger”. That’s right. If you know your trigger, you’ll learn to prep it. I learned the trigger tips many times but it sunk home on double action revolver qualification when I had to qualify on one every year for years.

The other was to think of gun safety as a laser always coming out of the barrel. If it crosses someone, it kills them. Helped me teach the wife and kids awareness.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
“Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You already own the best holster in the world.
Its your right hand. Draw to meet a threat.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Always keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction in case of accidental discharge, like a hippie or a communist.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Buy guns every chance you get

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can never have too much ammo. It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Aim small, shoot small.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An old cop told a bunch of us young cops during a training session:
"Always carry a back up, and if you don't have a rifle; go out and buy one"

Posts: 265 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I guess mine was all the regular firearm safety advice and also not to sell them until I either was close to death or I left them for someone. I have received a few of my dad’s guns since he passed and those would be the absolute last guns I ever let go of. My dad gave me my first revolver I ever used as a duty weapon and still have it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cndrdk:
An old cop told a bunch of us young cops during a training session:
"Always carry a back up, and if you don't have a rifle; go out and buy one"

A backup gun was always drilled into me as well. I always have at least two firearms either on me or in reach at all times.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two is one, one is none.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3534 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Two is one, one is none.

Words I have always lived by for anything at all regardless if firearm related. Sometimes I expand it to three or four.

Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Don't get complacent.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
This is a true story that happened at my 30 year high school reunion. My Dad was a middle school math teacher. 7th hour the teachers taught a quarter mini course that was their hobbies or whatever they wanted to teach. My Dad was a certified Hunter Safety Instructor so that was what he taught. In my class were twin brothers named Keith and Kyle. Kyle was a bit off, but if you made fun of him you would have Keith to answer to so no one gave Kyle a hard time. 15 years ago on Thanksgiving Keith and his Dad got into a shouting match which was par for the course. The Dad produced a handgun and shot Keith to death. Fast forward to my reunion years later I'm having a good time and Kyle comes up to me and tells me the story of what happened that day. He said he remembered my Dad's course and the main message was treat every gun as if it were loaded. He saw his Dad produce that gun and remembered what my Dad taught him and he got the hell out of the house. He credited my Dad and his Hunter Safety Course for saving his life. He just felt the need to tell me that. At the time I was speechless, and still to this day I am in awe of what one simple message can ultimately mean.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
“ Don't point a gun at something unless you are planning on killing it “

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5297 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You always have more than you need and less than you want.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Prep the trigger

This after taking both your Practical and Applied classes. Game changer for me !

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This was a SigForum member's signature back when I joined; it was memorable then and is still memorable, true, and relevant to many areas of life:

"You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training."

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Software is more important then hardware, get educated before you go shopping.

Watch what you put in your brain, the firearms industry, like many others, is rife with snake oil salesman, self promoters and folks that think they know more then they actually do.

Mission drives the gear. Meaning, you need to understand what actually need your equipment to do, and then get what you actually need.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CD228,

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post