SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is humanity inherently good or bad?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is humanity inherently good or bad? Login/Join 
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted
I've got a theory about something, please take this poll honestly...

Question:
On average is humanity inherently good or bad?

Choices:
Good, and sucessful at being good.
Good, but generally failing.
Nither
Bad, but generally failing.
Bad, and successful at being bad.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a tough one.

What is your definition of "good" or "bad", your definitions are probably similar to mine but other people may not share our definitions.

I don't have children so I don't have the experience of watching them make their first decisions.

I lean towards humans being taught to be good, which means they start out neutral or "bad".

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I voted "neither" because in this context it is impossible to define "good" and "bad". From an evolutionary context, those terms are meaningless as "good" means I survive and pass on my genes, where "bad" means I don't get to do that.

In a societal context, however, those terms mean different things. Merely surviving and screwing aren't always the measuring stick.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I will likely come across as a Bible thumper here, but according to it, all men are sinners in need of salvation.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I see humanity as incomplete, developing. Each individual is born to progress. The question is will he move toward evil or righteousness and how fast? As such, some of us are evil and some are righteous at varying degrees and in cycles. Sometimes we are better than other times and we can move from righteous to evil and vice versa.

I think the key to righteousness is selflessness. The more selfless an individual becomes, the more righteous he will develop. Children are born selfish and necessarily so for survival. But as the child matures, he should progress toward selflessness or he will become destructive in degrees relative to how selfish he is. We see this demonstrated in society.

So, is humanity good or bad inherently? It all boils down to potential.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
From my admittedly limited exposure, I believe it’s a wash between good and bad.

But the good are timid in keeping the bad in check.

Hell...just look at the criminal justice system for an example. People confessing to murdering others, sometimes not even serving active time, rarely facing death even in the most heinous circumstances.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
/sarc on
Let's just say, humanity is so inherently good that police and law enforcement are universally optional, and violent crime and aggressive warfare are legends from mythology.
/sarc off

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A mix, of course.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Humanity has an equal capacity for both good and bad which cannot be universally quantified because what is good or bad depends upon how you view it.

If a person is shot and killed by a bystander while robbing a dollor store the clerk may view the action as good while the sister of the dead robber may view the action as bad (true story bro). Who is right?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Even the youngest children don't need to be taught to do wrong. They do need to be taught to do right.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Being generally conservative, I see humanity as basically evil with the ability to change as long as it is an accepted state.

I believe that is why leftist cannot see their own folly, because they generally believe humans, including themselves, are good.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
There’s a Better way to phrase the question.

I hate lumping entire groups, let alone humanity as a whole into a catagory of good or bad. Life is not black or white.

Experiences and our environment shape us. Some people have screws loose that make them evil and can be considered “bad”... but it’s too nuanced of a thing to make a cavalier decision.

I think ignorance and lack of intellectual curiosity combined with a lack of morals and work ethic make for bad people.

I’ve met many, many more good people than bad in my life.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It’s “neither,” humanity largely acts in its own self-interest. God Bless those who are selfless.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I voted "neither" because in this context it is impossible to define "good" and "bad".

Bingo. "Good" and "Bad" aren't defined, plus they often aren't black/white and vary by situation.

But, as noted by a couple previous posters, I'll agree that humanity's default position is "selfish".

It's an ingrained drive that all animals have: increase our chances of survival and procreation, even at the expense of other animals.

It takes effort to act otherwise.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted neither. It seems that increasingly, ethics and morals are situational.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up...

Definition of nither. -ed/-ing/-s. chiefly Scottish. : to shiver or tremble especially with cold.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Good in that we are made in the image of our creator and he declared all of his creation "very good". But we fail because we have the self-induced critical flaw of sin, which invades every aspect of our behavior.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
my inept spelling aside, thanks RAMIUS Big Grin

I've specifically not defined good and bad, Leaving that to the opinion of the poll taker.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
"Nither" but really both.
Man achieved the propensity to sin when Eve ate the apple.
It from that point out has been a struggle to be "good" but not impossible.
So the inherent nature would be "bad" but the struggle is what life is all about.

Women have always been able to make men do the wrong thing. Frown

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
my inept spelling aside, thanks RAMIUS Big Grin

I've specifically not defined good and bad, Leaving that to the opinion of the poll taker.

Just figured I’d help brotha. Thank you for not taking offense. Smile