SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Russian jet carrying 233 people belly-lands in a cornfield
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russian jet carrying 233 people belly-lands in a cornfield Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

It was a forced landing, but not a crash landing, as the article suggests.
I'm not sure what a "crash landing" is. I always thought that it was either one or the other: either a crash, or a landing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I know they say it was a 'bird strike' but you have to wonder what the fuel gauges say...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I know they say it was a 'bird strike' but you have to wonder what the fuel gauges say...

There is cell phone video from one of the passengers that shows the birds as the plane is taking off.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

They don't say anything. You have to look at them.

I'll be here all week.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I'm not sure what a "crash landing" is. I always thought that it was either one or the other: either a crash, or a landing.

I've been on board for a few that could be best described as a "controlled crash," and a few that could be assessed as uncontrolled landings.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
quote:

There is cell phone video from one of the passengers that shows the birds as the plane is taking off.
Cool, just a question when a plane like that doesn't burn at all after landing.

It is RUSSIAN after all, like guppy said, they don't run the tightest / by-the-book outfits on the planet... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's the first thing one generally thinks about when there's a crash and something doesn't burn: what happened to all the fuel?

Big airplanes are still built out of expensive beer can material that rips and pulls apart during a foced landing in a large aircraft, in most cases resulting in ruptured fuel cells and a fire. Perhaps no fire occurred because the engines were already flamed out, or perhaps he touched it down with the gear out to mitigate impact, or perhaps the engines simply held in place; engines are held to the pylon by concentric bolts which typically shear and fail in such a case. From the pictures in the article, the airplane is remarkably intact and upright.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

perhaps he touched it down with the gear out to mitigate impact

quote:
From The Article Linked In The Original Post:

Russia's air transport agency said the plane came down with both engines out of action and the landing gear retracted

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“…
When one engine failed they thought they could still turn back to the airport, Capt Yusupov said.

"When we saw that the second was also losing power, despite all of our efforts, the plane began losing height," he said.

"I changed my mind several times, because I was planning to gain height," he said. But Flightradar data shows that the A321 had only reached 243m (797ft).

"I planned to reach a certain height, hold it there, figure out the engine failure, make the correct decision, work it all out. But then it turned out there was really hardly any time."

Capt Yusupov and his co-pilot, Georgi Murzin, managed to stop the fuel supply to the engines and kept the jet level, gliding it down into the corn field, without lowering the undercarriage. With the wheels down, there is a risk of flying debris rupturing the plane's fuel tanks…”

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49369172

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the gear not down, there's a considerably higher risk of rupturing the fuel tanks.

From less than 800', however, to transition to a descent and begin emergency procedures and set up for a forced landing, very little time exists to ensure control, let alone begin or complete a gear cycle.

Additionally, extending the landing gear increases drag not just because of the landing gear, but gear doors which open and then close in sequence, during gear extension. Already slow and with limited time and very little glide option, extending gear would increase sink, decrease speed, and rapidly reduce the available options the flight could reach prior to impact.

Most notably, a dual engine failure after takeoff in a twin engine transport category airplane isn't something trained for, nor is a forced landing in the same. Given that the crew's options all lay outside the scope of their training, they did well.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Good thing the adults were found quickly.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post