SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about Central-ish Michigan
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Central-ish Michigan Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I do not know much about central MI.

Lived ten miles north of Petoskey just outside of a little burg called Alanson for almost 25 years.

Great area for hunting/fishing, Golf, skiing, and snowmobiling.

Winters were quite harsh, very cold with LOTS of snow. Republicans ran unopposed in most local elections.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
Ohio and Michigan had a war once. (really) They lost and had to keep Detroit.

Good stuff! (Ohio native, here)

Wife is from Cadillac, she even got a chuckle out of that. Smile

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consolation prize for Michigan in the border "war" with Ohio was the Upper Peninsula. A win as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Known as the Toledo war it was a series of bloodless skirmishes between the territory of Michigan and the state of Ohio.

This should clear up the details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War

The following resulted from the war
Ohio claimed Toledo
Michigan was granted the Upper Peninsula
-- I've been to both trust me, Michigan won

Michiganders were nicknamed Wolverines, thinking it was an insult it was actually a compliment as the animal is so vicious it will pick up a pissed off honey badger and beat you with it, simply because it can.

Ohioans are known as buckeyes, a hairless poisonous nut

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

Michiganders were nicknamed Wolverines, thinking it was an insult it was actually a compliment as the animal is so vicious it will pick up a pissed off honey badger and beat you with it, simply because it can.

Ohioans are known as buckeyes, a hairless poisonous nut

Big Grin Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm from the Midland area. This state has four well defined and differentiated seasons, and plenty of outdoor recreation from hunting to fishing to hiking and dirt bike or atv trails along with just about anything in between.

Property taxes vary widely depending on location. If you're in a city or highly desirable location, expect to pay quite a lot. As you may expect, smaller towns and rural areas tend to be more reasonable regarding taxes. Make sure to do your research though.

Cadillac is a decent bit farther north than what I'd consider the central Michigan area (Midland, Mount Pleasant, Alma, etc). The terrain is mostly rolling to outright hilly up there.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
I was looking around some more, and found White Cloud. Seems a nice area that meets what I want, and is relatively close to Grand Rapids. Anyone know this area, and can comment. I wonder, what airport do you folks in the middle use, to catch major carrier domestic, and international flights? Thanks.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2tonic,

Wife said they fly out of Traverse City domestic most times or Detroit.

She doesn't know much about White Cloud though.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:
Thanks a lot everybody. How does handgun registration work - Do you do it with self completed forms, or is a dealer/local Gov involved ($$$). Is an 03/C&R FFL license fully valid? I had looked at the Cadillac area before posting, and found some really nice homes for reasonable cost - Much nicer condition for $$$ spent, then around my area.

I know it is hard to answer, but how is the vibe of the area? Does it feel insular, friendly but reserved, hostile to outsiders? I have never had a problem anywhere, as I respect local customs, and don't try to make my new home, like the last. Seems the drug problem (Meth/opiates) is rampant everywhere anymore, and I wonder about home break-ins, in the more rural areas?

Thanks.

I live in Kent County near Grand Rapids and love the area. You'll have no problem getting along with people. Most are very friendly in that classic Midwest sense. Crime is a lot lower than on the east side of the state; even Grand Rapids is considered low crime for its size. You do get a lot of home for your buck here.

I am not a Class III, but I am sure those federal licenses are fully valid here.

To purchase a pistol, if you have a CPL you can buy and take home same day. There is registration paperwork that is filled out in triplicate at the time of purchase, and one copy goes to your local PD within 10 days of purchase. You keep a copy and the seller keeps a copy. If no CPL, you have to get a permit to purchase from your local PD before buying the gun, and then the procedure is the same.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be happy to help.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Grand Rapids is a really nice area, includig GR itself. Went there for a show a while back, kicked around downtown for a few hours before the show and felt very safe. Clean with lots of interesting things to see & do. Multiple entertainment venues. I don't like cities/crowds but I liked GR.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much Fellas. I saw where Grand Rapids was in the top five places in the US, for speed of homes going under contract... Must be doing something right.

Glad to hear this part of MI has traditional Midwest values. I went to university in Indiana, lived there in small towns for 15 years, and know well of what you speak. I now understand the procedure for buying handguns, but how about the procedure for the 15 or so, I would be bringing with me if I should move to MI?

One last question. Do any of you in the area do Airbnb, or have a guest house I could rent, if I come up to the area for a look around? I'm liking what I am hearing, and have seen some really nice homes, that speak to me. Can anyone recommend a good buyers agent I might call? Thanks again everyone.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Just checked an auto insurance quote from USAA, for a similar MI area - It doubles in MI! Dang, 36 years on the road, no accidents, and no tickets. Seems kinda crazy.

posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/result...ichigan+snow+blowing

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
... but how about the procedure for the 15 or so, I would be bringing with me if I should move to MI?

I would contact the local police department where you are moving and ask them the procedure they want you to follow. When I moved here I had a few handguns already and I ended up having to bring each one to the police department where they did a "safety inspection" which simply means they registered each one.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was looking around some more, and found White Cloud. Seems a nice area that meets what I want, and is relatively close to Grand Rapids. Anyone know this area, and can comment. I wonder, what airport do you folks in the middle use, to catch major carrier domestic, and international flights? Thanks.

White Cloud is a rather impoverished area. Some recent troubles with Meth and Heroin

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To P220,

Your one comment says it all about living in Northern Michigan. We do not like people who come here from out of state or downstate and try to change our area into what they just left. I would think you would fit right in.

Getting your CPL is easy. Open carry requires nothing and is becoming more common, at least in more rural areas. Probably not yet accepted very well in Marquette,ask Yooper Sig Big Grin

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
I live on the Ohio side of the line. We have a big sign that says Welcome to Ohio. Please Wipe Your Feet. Ohio and Michigan had a war once. (really) They lost and had to keep Detroit.

More than a little revisionist.

Congress stepped in and brokered a settlement. Michigan gave up Toledo in return for what became Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

We definitely got the better deal, in every respect Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

"Michigander" is also an insult, which is why I refuse to use the word.

Other Michigan residents may regard themselves as "silly geese," but, I'm a Michiganian.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Politically, it's a blue state these days.

Only in national elections, and, even then: Not entirely.

Legislature is overwhelmingly Republican, as is the State Supreme Court and as have been the last two of three Governors. Most of the leftism nutjobbery is limited to Detroit, the Tri-cities area, Lansing, Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids.

quote:
Infrastructure is falling apart.

Not so much, any more.

quote:
Summers are hot and humid, winters can be a bitch with lake effect snow.

(Looks outside...)

Sunny, dry and a high of 70°F predicted today, with a 30% chance of scatter showers.

Yes: Summers can be hot and humid. Yes: Winters can get bitterly cold and quite snowy. But, compared to elsewhere in the country: We actually have mostly pretty moderate weather. No hurricanes or typhoons. Few tornadoes, and most of those usually F2 or F1. Most of the really deep snow is on the west side of the state (that's where all the lake effect snow occurs) and north of the middle of the LP. No earthquakes of consequence. Few significant forest fires.

quote:
I have exactly zero interest in going back.

That works out well, then, as we have exactly zero interest in having you back Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Todays weather in the Yoop:
55. Showers. Very wet June, possibly record breaking by the end of the month.
Oh... we have very long days north of the 45Th in summer. Doesn't get dark until 10.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

quote:
I have exactly zero interest in going back.

That works out well, then, as we have exactly zero interest in having you back Wink

Big Grin

Glad to hear the infrastructure is getting some attention.

If we don't sell the house this summer (and it's not looking good, not even a nibble since listed) we'll be taking our biennial trip to Mount Pleasant to visit family. Oldest brother lives there, we usually have a jackleg family reunion whenever I can manage to make it back.

I promise I won't stay tho... Razz

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post