SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about Central-ish Michigan
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Central-ish Michigan Login/Join 
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted
I have a friend from S. MI who suggested this area of the state to consider as a new home. I looked around mostly the Central/W. Central area, and it looks pretty nice for what I want:

- Reasonable housing costs for modest homes on some acreage. Think modest ranch/cottage/cabin for no more than $150k

- Tons of water around to go fishing/boating

- Looks like good hunting

- Not too far from Lake Michigan

- Lots of forest and trees, but flat (which I like)

I'm retired, so no need to work, no wife anymore, kid is on her own, but I would like to continue my volunteer efforts. I do wonder about RE taxes (I know it can vary a lot), auto insurance, and obviously gun laws and politics.

I have always been around serious snow and cold all of my life, so that is not an issue. I also wonder about the general vibe of the area as well. Appreciate your thoughts, and even some places/areas I might research, that fit what I am looking for. Thank you.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Auto insurance is stupid high. Mine doubled when I moved here from TN.
Property taxes are high compared to TN but I have no idea how they compare to PA.
Tags/registration fees are ridiculous, based on original msrp of the vehicle.
Roads are complete shit.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the geographical center of the Lower Peninsula. St. Johns/Fowler area to be precise.

I left in 1969 when I joined the Navy and other than brief visits, haven't been back since. I do have 3 brothers still living there.

Politically, it's a blue state these days. Infrastructure is falling apart. Detroit/Flint/Saginaw were once bustling cities living on the back of the automobile industry. Now they are falling apart. Lansing (Michigan's capitol) has or shortly will declare itself a "sanctuary city" which tells you pretty much everything you need to know about Michigan politics.

Summers are hot and humid, winters can be a bitch with lake effect snow.

I have exactly zero interest in going back.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
It's a beautiful state with plenty of outdoor activities. Our winters are mild compared to ND and some east coast cities. Fall is the best time of year. Plenty of places to hike and fish. Skiing in the winter.

Grand Rapids is central west. A nice city that has really grown. Gaylord is another great city in the northern central. I like northwest myself. The Petoskey area is awesome.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
No chit, auto insurance is insanely high.

I grew up in MI, lots of cool stuff in the Northern Lower. The other side of the Lake is worth consideration too.

Of those nearby I think IN has a lower cost of living.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
A few more positive thoughts:
Once you get away from the big population centers (Detroit area, Flint, ... ) people are a lot more conservative, or as I would say, more realistic and responsible. Out in the boonies, you can run into anything from real rednecks (think Deliverance) to hippies from the '60s (think Cheech and Chong) and anything in between. Whether that is a plus or minus depends on your preferences. Cost of living is surprisingly reasonable outside the resort areas / lakeshore.

The whole state is comprised of two peninsulas, so you are never far from a huge body of fresh water. Lakeshore property is ridiculously expensive, but go inland a few miles and you find acreage is much more reasonable. There are countless inland lakes as well, so it's a fisherman's paradise. Good hunting too. For deer season, the lower half of the Lower Peninsula is shotgun only, but the rest of the state is rifle country. A diligent hunter can usually fill his deer tag every year. Having your own land to hunt on is a big plus.

Yes it's a blue state, but we have a Republican Governor and majority in the state legislature. Also don't forget MI went for Trump in 2016.

We get some real blizzards, but if you watch the forecasts and can pick and choose the days you run into town for supplies, it's not all that bad. Just have enough supplies on hand to hunker down for a couple of days if need be. The further north you go the more pleasant the summers are, but I find them just fine in the Lower-Lower. A couple of weeks every summer are sweltering, the rest is usually not bad and often fantastic.

A lot of problems with alcohol and drugs, particularly out in the boonies during the long winter months. Some areas have huge problems with meth.

I like it fine and want to retire here but not in Kalamazoo (a little too liberal hippy dippy).

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2084 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikedare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
Auto insurance is stupid high. Mine doubled when I moved here from TN.
Property taxes are high compared to TN but I have no idea how they compare to PA.
Tags/registration fees are ridiculous, based on original msrp of the vehicle.
Roads are complete shit.

Bwahahaha! "Roads are complete shit" That's putting it nicely.

Posts: 171 | Location: Ludington MI | Registered: May 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Gun laws are mediocre. Shall issue. Handguns have to be registered.

The "republican" governor never met a tax increase he didn't like and most of them in the legislature aren't any better.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one state I lived in that I didn't like at all. Could have been the area, outside of Detroit, or that I'm originally from Ohio and wore Buckeye gear around.
Roads are horrible, car insurance is ridiculous and weed is legal. Medicinally but that doesn't stop the greed.
Went up to the Glen Arbor area and loved it. Don't tell my Buckeye friends but it's a beautiful state in parts. Shhhh

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:

The "republican" governor never met a tax increase he didn't like and most of them in the legislature aren't any better.

Open carry for anyone legal and easy to obtain CPL. I don't call that mediocre. People complain about shitty roads and they complain about paying taxes to fix the roads.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything north of Bay City is good!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son lives in the Midland area. It's great.

Hunting, fishing, boating and snowmobiling are all first rate. I own 60 round mags for my AR and put hollow points in my carry gun without running the risk of a felony charge. Property taxes aren't the cheapest around but probably 1/2 or 1/3 of some of the eastern states. Costs me about $500/year to plate three vehicles. Oldest is 2003 and newest is 2017. Sales tax is 6% but there is no sales tax on groceries. Income tax is 4.25%. Credits can be pretty generous depending on your situation. Lansing area and Ann Arbor are home to two major universities and are very liberal as are other pockets around Detroit, Flint and Saginaw. The rest of the state runs pretty red.

All in all, it isn't the greatest place on earth but the cost of living isn't crazy and the amenities can be pretty attractive if you're in the right area.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you that Michigan is a beautiful state and there is a lot to do here. If you like outdoor sport, there is plenty. If you're into fishing, you're probably less than 1/4 mile from some form of water (lake, pond, river, creek, etc) in any direction.

Central Michigan is mostly rolling hills and farmland. Northern Michigan is a lot of forest, as is the west coast. Most believe the west coast is some of the most beautiful shoreline you'll see in North America.

The state often gets colored blue, but in reality it is the Detroit & Grand Rapids cities that do that, county by county most of the state is red.

Michigan has a varied population. I wouldn't say I've ever seen a red neck that comes close to 'deliverance' or any areas like that. However there are areas in Northern Michigan where the locals believe what's theirs is theirs and most of what the seasonable people have is theirs if they want it.

Handguns have to be registered, not long guns. CPL requires a class and background check and state approval for the license. Other than hunting restrictions and having to keep firearms separate from ammo in a vehicle most gun laws are fairly normal.

Roads can suck. Worse on the east side than the west side. Be ready for snow, lots of it the further west you go, but usually not as cold.

You might look around Clare or Cadillac.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I live on the Ohio side of the line. We have a big sign that says Welcome to Ohio. Please Wipe Your Feet. Ohio and Michigan had a war once. (really) They lost and had to keep Detroit. The farther north you get, and all of the UP is pretty nice. Wayne County and south to the Ohio line, with the exception of both lakeshores, Michigan and Erie, is farmers or section 8.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdmb03:
quote:

Open carry for anyone legal and easy to obtain CPL. I don't call that mediocre. People complain about shitty roads and they complain about paying taxes to fix the roads.

Compared to where? Compared to TN they're a PITA.

And people complain about the taxes because shit STILL DOESN'T GET FIXED.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
I live on the Ohio side of the line. We have a big sign that says Welcome to Ohio. Please Wipe Your Feet. Ohio and Michigan had a war once. (really) They lost and had to keep Detroit. The farther north you get, and all of the UP is pretty nice. Wayne County and south to the Ohio line, with the exception of both lakeshores, Michigan and Erie, is farmers or section 8.

Ohio got Toledo in that war,I call that a draw but at least we got the U.P...........

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Anything north of Bay City is good!

Yeah I heard Saginaw has become Flint North. Lake Huron side of things means easier access to I-75 and less snow than the Lake Michigan half. I do not know if I could ever go back to living in Michigan...

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I live in very southern central MI. Land is cheap, houses out here very reasonable. Lots of lakes and hunting opportunities. Great Lakes are 1.5-2 hours away. Sales tax is 6%. No local sales tax allowed.
Gun laws are decent, Shall Issue with the most widely recognized permit in the nation, SBR's, suppressors and full auto are ok. Handgun registration is stupid, but not a huge hassle.
Yes, auto insurance costs more but it's No Fault with unlimited lifetime medical.

True midstate (Alma/St Johns/Ithaca is flat as can be. Grand Rapids area has lots to offer but housing and land costs go up a bunch. There is lots of cheap land north of U.S. 10. The trade off is it's a drive to major health care centers and shopping.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot everybody. How does handgun registration work - Do you do it with self completed forms, or is a dealer/local Gov involved ($$$). Is an 03/C&R FFL license fully valid? I had looked at the Cadillac area before posting, and found some really nice homes for reasonable cost - Much nicer condition for $$$ spent, then around my area.

I know it is hard to answer, but how is the vibe of the area? Does it feel insular, friendly but reserved, hostile to outsiders? I have never had a problem anywhere, as I respect local customs, and don't try to make my new home, like the last. Seems the drug problem (Meth/opiates) is rampant everywhere anymore, and I wonder about home break-ins, in the more rural areas?

Thanks.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
For info on gun laws you can go here:
http://www.migunowners.org

Lots of good folks but there are a few jerks.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post