SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying Silver (or other precious metal)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying Silver (or other precious metal) Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Wondering when you buy silver and take in the premium/ over spot price, what form is it in?

Question:
When you buy silver, how do you buy it (what form)?

Choices:
Silver Eagles
Another countrys' coin(s)
Other country's coin with lowest premium
Rounds
Bars
Whatever has the lowest premium
Paper (someone else is holding it)
The poop will never hit the fan and it does, precious metals won't buy squat.
I actually buy it?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Bullion from tge mint im buying.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Bullion from tge mint im buying.

That's either rounds or bars. How do/ did you decide?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... rounds or bars are generally the cheapest way to invest in silver bullion. Round/bars are made by private mints, carrying a smaller premium.

Some nice designs by these private mints as well.

Example from my bullion dealer:
Eagles (99.9% pure silver) - $3.50 premium
Aussie Kookaburras (.999 fine) - $6.00
Maple Leafs (99.99% pure) - $3.00
Silver round 1 oz (.999 fine) - $1.50
1/5/10 oz silver bars (.999 fine) - $1.50

... discounts for quantity ...

I generally buy the Maple Leafs or the Kookas; and grab a few rounds if I like the design.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Both rounds and junk.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Where I go the silver front Oz and Land of Canucks is just over $2/ounce.

Eagles are $3 and bars/rounds $1.35.

Banned
posted Hide Post
Just buy 10% of our portfolio in Silver and Gold Eagles. Just in cast of a financial blowup.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

That's good for the Kookas and Maples!

Nice - I knew my zip code came with a premium on the premium.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I have always bought from private sellers, and avoid premiums all together.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy Eagles because I also have collected coins for years.
Plus, I feel that Eagle prices do not go down in price as much as Bullion does when the price of Silver falls.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I either buy Silver Eagles or Canadian Maple Leaf. Less chance of counterfeit coins that are silver plated, when buying,and the same assurance to those you are selling to.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
quote:

That's good for the Kookas and Maples!

Nice - I knew my zip code came with a premium on the premium.

Look up Bluevault.com. it's FTF only

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
You better have a LOT of silver if you are trying to buy ammo or food from me when the shit hits the fan. It won't be measured in coins or ounces, but in multiple pounds.

If someone ever cleans the shit off the fan, it will be a long while before normal trade and valuation kicks back in.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20813 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I buy Canadian Maple 99.99% pure.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look up Bluevault.com. it's FTF only

Correction:
http://www.bluevaultsecure.com...r-bars-and-coins.php

... good to know; there's nothing like this in Seattle ... not that I know of.

Kerry Packer

Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
American Silver (Gold) Eagles, Canadian Silver (Gold) Maple Leafs, Austrian Silver (Gold) Philharmonics, Australian Kookaburras; in that order.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get some first ever silver Krugerrands now. Probably 3 to 4x more than spot but might have some greater collector value in years to come. I ordered one just because I like gold Krugerrands.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Mine is all in Sigforum coins.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Mine is all in Sigforum coins.

Dang it, forgot that option.

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I buy coins. I have some rounds as well but mostly just well worn/junk U.S. coins

Zero gold.

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
You better have a LOT of silver if you are trying to buy ammo or food from me when the shit hits the fan. It won't be measured in coins or ounces, but in multiple pounds.

We know a Gold Bug. My wife ribs him all the time he better not show up wanting to trade for food when things go to Hell. He seems to think he's going to be well off. That gold stuff is pretty hard to chew.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post