SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Retired state official charged with embezzling funds for Cesar Chavez statue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retired state official charged with embezzling funds for Cesar Chavez statue Login/Join 
posted
Wow, the stupid is strong in this story.

Retired state official charged with embezzling funds for Cesar Chavez statue

LANSING, MI -- An 80-year-old former state official has been charged with embezzling more than $73,500 in state funds earmarked to build a Cesar Chavez memorial statue in Lansing, according to the Michigan attorney general's office.

Maria Louisa Mason was executive director of the state's Hispanic/Latino Commission with the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. She retired in December 2015.

She was arraigned Tuesday, April 18, in Ingham County District Court on felony embezzlement charges, said a press release from the attorney general's office

An investigation by the Michigan State Police found that Mason allegedly embezzled the funds between February 2013 until June 2015, the press release said.

"She arranged to have the funds transferred to a nonprofit and a local community center. Mason allegedly had control of the bank accounts for both organizations," the press release said.

"Neither used the money for the Chavez statute," the release said. "Instead, Mason transferred the funds to her personal accounts and personally took numerous cash withdrawals. The monument has not been built.

"Ms. Mason allegedly used her ill-gotten gains, to pay her numerous credit cards, including AMEX, Capital One, Chase, Discover, Macy's, and Bloomingdales. She also paid her University Club Fees, her State of Michigan and City of Lansing taxes, her auto insurance, DTE and cell phone bills, and for shoes, among other items," the release said.

The executive director is selected by the commissioners, who are appointed by the Governor with advice and consent from the Senate.

"I have said it before and will continue to, public officials are held to a higher standard," Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette said in the press release. "Ms. Mason was allegedly using funds dedicated to a memorial statue to instead fund her personal expenses and now she is faceing the consequences."

Mason's bond was set at $10,000 personal recognizance bond. Mason's next court appearance is a pre-exam conference scheduled for April 27.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a win-win. A corrupt gov't official being prosecuted and no Cesar Chavez statue.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
^^^^agreed^^^

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
My first thought was no cesar statue Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Sounds like a win-win. A corrupt gov't official being prosecuted and no Cesar Chavez statue.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Big Grin

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
An 80-year-old former state official has been charged with embezzling more than $73,500 in state funds earmarked to build a Cesar Chavez memorial statue.

That's a lot of lettuce.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"Ms. Mason allegedly used her ill-gotten gains, to pay her numerous credit cards, including AMEX, Capital One, Chase, Discover, Macy's, and Bloomingdales. She also paid her University Club Fees, her State of Michigan and City of Lansing taxes, her auto insurance, DTE and cell phone bills, and for shoes, among other items," the release said."

At least she didn't waste it, like would have happened if it had been spent on a statue of Cesar Chavez.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
She must have thought she was under Chicago rules.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
She must have thought she was under Chicago rules.

Michigan, CA, and NY aren't that much different from Chicago when it comes to gov't corruption. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It's OK, just as long as I can still get a Caesar salad every now and then.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
pizzapizza

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
$73,500 to NOT have a Chavez statute seems like a bargain.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just love having high taxes so that our elected and also unelected officials can take good care of us. I trust them so much.
I vote every election cycle to add to my taxes, whether it be additional school taxes or more taxes for senior citizens funding or whatever it may be. Heck, what else would I do with all the money I have?
Makes me sick!

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I kinda agree...you know that it would have ended up costing more than $73k when it was done...so in a way this corruptocrat was trying to save taxpayers, money Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
$73,500 to NOT have a Chavez statute seems like a bargain.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Diverting funds from intended purposes to where a government representative deems more necessary?

Seems more like an homage than embezzlement. Old Chavez would be proud.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:

" ... public officials are held to a higher standard," Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette said ...

Mason's bond was set at $10,000 personal recognizance bond ...

I get it, she's 80 years old, and retired about a year and a half ago.

But higher standard? How about setting bail at $73,500?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post