SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    50 Meter Olympic Pistol Competition GONE
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 Meter Olympic Pistol Competition GONE Login/Join 
posted
I do not know if this has been posted.
JUN 26, 2017 — After the EGA in Munich - it seems 50M pistol is lost to the 2020 Olympics - it is indeed a sad day - I live in hope that the ISSF will reconsider - maybe one day when the President and secretary are replaced - new thoughts will prevail RIP Free Pistol - a true friend and great mentor of personal strength and individual growth.

I shot Free Pistol in the 60s and 70s... did not qualify ever, but gave it my best effort.

It is a fun, demanding and lonely sport.

As above, RIP Free Pistol - it will be missed!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is too bad. We will have skateboarding though.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Does anyone even take the olympics serious anymore?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Follow the money. There's only so many sports that the Olympics can host. They think they can bring in more money including things like skateboarding and BMX that are more popular than some of the traditional sports.

There's still rumors about compound archery being added to the Olympics. Unfortunately it's a logistics issue, for it to be added an existing sport needs to be dropped. My daughter keeps threatening to start a petition to have synchronized swimming dropped.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
50 Meter Olympic Pistol Competition GONE

..and my favorite event, the Modern Pentathlon, uses laser beam pistols instead of real firearms now.

quote:
My daughter keeps threatening to start a petition to have synchronized swimming dropped.

That and Rhythmic Gymnastics. I'll sign both.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
So would I!!!

Also don't forget "Synchronized Swimming"... I'd sign that one too.

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

Nope. It already jumped the shark with Curling.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

Hey, hey, hey...lets take it easy on Curling, please. Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Call me an old fart, but I want to see the traditional games in the Olympics. Sports like shooting, archery, wrestling, etc. The Olympics is their Super Bowl and they don't have much of a following. Stuff like BMX and skateboarding have outlets like the X Games. Wrestling almost got themselves eliminated from the Olympics because of their disorganization.

Also my rules for what qualifies as a sport, there needs to be a objective score, time or coming across a finish line. Anything decided by judges and style points is not a sport.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
quote:
quote:

I'll watch the Danish women's curling team all day long...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
quote:
quote:

I agree, I find the tactical thinking required for Curling to be fascinating. It's a sport that requires Brain Power more than Muscle Power and those teams to can't learn to think 5 moves ahead are destined to fail.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Call me an old fart, but I want to see the traditional games in the Olympics. Sports like shooting, archery, wrestling, etc. The Olympics is their Super Bowl and they don't have much of a following. Stuff like BMX and skateboarding have outlets like the X Games. Wrestling almost got themselves eliminated from the Olympics because of their disorganization.

Also my rules for what qualifies as a sport, there needs to be a objective score, time or coming across a finish line. Anything decided by judges and style points is not a sport.
This sums up my opinion on the matter as well. It's why I don't take any interest in the Olympics now. Even for the few events that are left that I have an interest in...they are not broadcast or covered by whatever network won the bid to broadcast the events. What gets attention? Women in tight and little clothing doing sylistic events which show off their "abilities". I'm not calling for uniforms or and end to women's beach volleyball....

I like danish curling also...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Sweeping-Ice-Shuffleboard belongs on Alaskan cruises and afternoons in fjords.

There's lame. And there's a thing that's 10,000x more lame, and that's Curling.

Do it on vacation or in your spare time all you like, but get it out of the Olympics please.

Ugh.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I am Pro Curling. One of the few olympic games that you can compete with a beer in your hand...

and win!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
Curling is fascinating

quote:

So poker is a sport and gymnastics is not. Got it.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Television coverage and corruption of the IOC ruined the Olympics for me decades ago.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They don't even broadcast the shooting events here usually. We were lucky to catch some archery last time around and it was a good watch.

I had to watch skeet on the internet.

Shooting is just not TV friendly. They are the greatest in the world and almost never miss. There's very little visual movement on the screen.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Well, it is sorta boring as hell to watch.

All ya see is a dude standing there, and holes in the paper

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

That's a tall order considering artistic gymnastics and figure skating are two Olympic sports that draw some of the highest viewership, especially among females.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hey now.....what other olympic sport is meant to be played drunk

10s of Canadians would have to get real jobs!

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post