SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Derek Chauvin Trial
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Derek Chauvin Trial Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Thought having a dedicated thread just for the trial material and discussion might be a good idea. Seven jurors have now been chosen and opening statements scheduled for March 29th. Hopefully we can keep this from getting too far afield and keep it to just evidence presented in court, witness statements and trial related discussion. Be interesting to hear from some of our own trial attorneys as things progress.

So here is a breakdown of the jurors chosen so far. Ages, race,occupation as well as some quotes from them during questioning.

Meet the jurors

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
We the public have seen nothing unbiased. So far its been the media and a public lynching. One would hope the Judge manages to keep a handle on the thing and isn't a part of the lynching. The media and the rioters will do their best to do otherwise.

We have nothing but what the biased media has been presenting. I have no confidence any of it is fair or factual. The media feels it's their job to incite the already incited mobs. It might be more fun to lynch the reporters... Frown

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
As long as the jurors remain truly impartial and make decisions based on facts, not hype, all death related charges will be tossed. Since it is a criminal trial, all we need is one honest, rational person in the mix but I'm hoping for more.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've been watching the Law of Self Defense commentary during jury selection.
So far it sounds like the judge is favoring the Prosecution, making the Defense burn their cards to strike juror candidates that should have been bounced by the judge for cause.
Letting the third degree murder charge back in was another potential setback too.
This is likely to be as much a public perception problem as a legal one.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The short synopsis of each juror so far seated sounds like Chauvin should have a good chance of at least one if not several jurors willing to listen to the evidence and make a honest informed opinion on the evidence. The toxicology report is pretty irrefutable. Not sure how the prosecution plans to deal with that. If I'm on the jury it would be hard if not impossible for me to ignore the toxicology report and place full blame on any of the officers.

On the other hand a couple of the jurors sound like they smell some celebrity status may be attached to this and 15 minutes of fame afterward to cash in on.

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How many threads on this do we need?

Just give me a number, guys. How many separate threads shall we have on this shit that just won't fucking go away? How many? Once I have a solid number, then I'll know whether or not we need any more threads on this subject. You say "seven" and we get eight, oh, boy I'm jumping ino action.

So, how many? We can have threads on the trial, the jury, the judge, the prosecution, the defense, the rioters err peaceful protesters, the "news media". I'm figurin' at least a dozen threads. Whadda ya think? You guys want to examine and analyze this shit which apparently is NEVER going away? Well, then let's not half-ass it.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Para -

Thanks for not locking this so far. The outcome of this “trial” is going to have repercussions for years to come.

I genuinely hope you will allow this discussion to carry forward in a dedicated thread.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I say to you in all sincerity that I do not give a SHIT what happens in that trial, nor to the city in which it takes place, nor to anyone involved in any way with it. I'm sick of hearing about this idiotic, drug-addicted thug's death suicide. You think you can make people understand the truth of what really happened that day? Forget it. They're going to railroad this cop and there's nothing you can do about it, and yet, here we are, creating new threads on this OLD shit.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
You think you can make people understand the truth of what really happened that day? Forget it. They're going to railroad this cop and there's nothing you can do about it, and yet, here we are, creating new threads on this OLD shit.

100% agree. That said, there are many on the forum who will still follow this story in great detail; or like myself, live right “here”.

We need a place to meet, vent, or just express an outrage or frustration that we don’t dare post on other social media platforms. I recognize that you are not obligated to provide that platform, but I/we genuinely appreciate that you have so far.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well my intention was to have one dedicated thread to the trial rather than numerous related threads. Was not my intention to cross any lines. Lock and or delete as required.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This thread can remain open. I've made it clear that there should be no more new threads on this or related subjects.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Para.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
And here we go.

[URL=$27M settlement in midst of Derek Chauvin trial jury selection deemed 'unfortunate' by court. http://strib.mn/2PX9dNa]$27M settlement in midst of Derek Chauvin trial jury selection deemed 'unfortunate' by court[/URL]

I suppose the judge has to say what he said, but no one, no one can convince me that the city Council did not release this information in the middle of jury selection by design. The worst thing that could happen to Minneapolis is that this police officer is found not guilty, doing this only helps to taint the jury pool.

The judge continued: "I wish city officials would stop talking about this case so much. At the same time, I don't find any evil intent that they were trying to tamper with this case. ... The timing is not related to this case."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.powerlineblog.com/...uvin-trial-day-7.php

short snip from the article:

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison was, as usual, in the courtroom yesterday. His office is handling the prosecution of Chauvin with the assistance of an all-star team of outside attorneys who are contributing their services

The Star Tribune reports that Ellison was guarded on the settlement

He “declined to comment when asked by a reporter whether he or the court knew that a settlement had been reached before it was announced Friday. His son Jeremiah Ellison is a Minneapolis City Council member and voted for the settlement .”

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

and

https://hotair.com/archives/ed...lement-announcement/

The jury changes today in the trial of Derek Chauvin do not bode well for the city of Minneapolis, or the state of Minnesota. Two previously seated jurors have told Judge Peter Cahill that the city council’s announcement of a $27 million settlement with the family of George Floyd predisposes them to think Chauvin is guilty.

The influence of extensive publicity again took center stage at the murder trial of fired Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin on Wednesday, with two seated jurors dismissed amid an announcement that the city has agreed to pay George Floyd’s survivors $27 million.

The total number of jurors is down to seven after Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill removed two after they said they had heard about a federal lawsuit settlement reached last week. They admitted it would impact their ability to assure Chauvin of his constitutional right to be presumed innocent during the course of the trial. …

One of the dismissed jurors was a Hispanic man in his 20s who said news of the settlement “kind of confirms opinions that I already have.” The second dismissed juror, a white man in his 30s, said he was shocked by the size of the settlement.

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Chauvin should file suit alleging his civil rights (the right to a fair trial by a jury of his peers) have been infringed by this fucking travesty of a show trial.

Oh, and Ellison (both of them) should eat a big bag of moldy dicks

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A case like this is really a poster child for reasonable doubt.

If the jury isn't unduly influenced by public opinion and their own preconceptions, I would expect acquittal.

Those are big "ifs", though. I am not sure Chauvin can get a fair trial in Minneapolis (and maybe not in many places) because potential jurors are too tainted by what they think they already know, or their own politics. I am usually bullish on juries, but there are a lot of reasons to be fearful in this case.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This poor soul is going to be fed to the crowd. They want blood and will not settle for anything less. Damn the facts, no justice, no peace.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm with para on this issue. I have no dog in the fight and can have no impact on the outcome. I will not watch the trial or any news about it. My personal feeling is that the cop should walk, but that is of no consdquence.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
FINALLY - this part of the story is getting some National attention....

Minneapolis 'autonomous zone' jeopardizes residents amid Derek Chauvin trial, police association says

EXCLUSIVE: The National Police Association (NPA) is putting pressure on the Minneapolis City Council, arguing residents living near George Floyd Square have suffered alone for months under an "autonomous zone," as already depleted police resources are pulled away from the neighborhood to prepare for "inevitable rioting" to come in the trial of ex-cop Derek Chauvin.

Retired Sgt. Betsy Brantner Smith, spokeswoman for the National Police Association (NPA), said in an exclusive interview with Fox News this week that demonstrators have been camping out for months in a small "autonomous zone" set up by George Floyd Square, at the intersection of E. 38th Street and Chicago Avenue, renamed in his honor. That is where a bystander recorded the viral video that showed the several minutes Chauvin had his knee on Floyd’s neck on May 25, 2020.

"George Floyd Square is now an autonomous zone. They just had a homicide there," Smith told Fox News, explaining that violence in the area has been an ongoing problem since last summer's riots. "There are businesses especially near the Third Precinct -- that was allowed to burn down -- that get robbed by the same people two to three times a week. There are citizens who just can’t get police services."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This case is a testament to everything that is wrong with the judicial/legal system today. Floyd poisoned himself and died in police custody. End of story. Yet a man who's personal value on his best day on the planet never approached a crisp $5 bill is somehow worth $27m and several police officers careers? And the charge is being led by one of the biggest POS to ever hold political office. The flashpoint on all of this will come when a significant portion of the US population realizes the law no longer means anything, and as such, stops adhering to it. At that point, all hell breaks loose.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post