SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Derek Chauvin Trial
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Derek Chauvin Trial Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Expert testimony from a security guard who was a wrestler in high school and does MMA on neck holds.

Can't make that up.

He was a material witness. I bet an expert witness would advise not putting your knee on a mans neck for 9 min. though.

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheni:
quote:
Expert testimony from a security guard who was a wrestler in high school and does MMA on neck holds.

Can't make that up.

He was a material witness. I bet an expert witness would advise not putting your knee on a mans neck for 9 min. though.
I'll bet my next paycheck that I could put my knee on your neck for an hour and you'd walk away just fine...provided you didn't commit suicide with a fentanyl overdose.

Look at an anatomy book. There are no vital structures on the side of the neck.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Chauvin didn't kill Floyd. Floyd killed Floyd.

Posts: 20064 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya what ever. Bet your next paycheck me and two other guys put our knees on you for 9 min.

Blood choke
Blood chokes (or carotid restraints / sleeper holds) are a form of strangulation that compress one or both carotid arteries and/or the jugular veins without compressing the airway, hence causing cerebral ischemia and a temporary hypoxic condition in the brain.[5] A well applied blood choke may lead to unconsciousness in 10–20 seconds. Injury or death is plausible if the arteries remain constricted for more than 20 seconds. Compared to strangulation with the hands, properly applied blood chokes require little physical strength.[6]

-----------------

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
"Blood ckoke?" You don't seem to have any idea what you're talking about. No one was put in any kind of choke hold.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing I noticed back when the media was showing the video 24/7 was that there appeared to be something missing. The first part of the video, showed him on the sidewalk interacting calmly with the police. The next part shows him on the ground, in the street with the officer's knee on his neck. Where is the video footage of him resisting arrest, which led to him being on the ground?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
One thing I noticed back when the media was showing the video 24/7 was that there appeared to be something missing. The first part of the video, showed him on the sidewalk interacting calmly with the police. The next part shows him on the ground, in the street with the officer's knee on his neck. Where is the video footage of him resisting arrest, which led to him being on the ground?

That's on the bodycam footage. I think bodycams need a watermark time stamp ghosted over the full frame so all edits and time skips are obvious. But you know, media can't show anything that conflicts with their narrative, regardless of facts.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ya what ever. Bet your next paycheck me and two other guys put our knees on you for 9 min.
You realize that the guy you're betting against is an MD? Anesthesiologist if I'm not mistaken. He probably knows what he's talking about.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

You realize that the guy you're betting against is an MD? Anesthesiologist if I'm not mistaken. He probably knows what he's talking about.

Is there any evidence from the M.E.'s or Toxicology that he died of lack of blood flow to the brain resulting from compression of the carotid arteries?

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I'll bet my next paycheck that I could put my knee on your neck for an hour and you'd walk away just fine...provided you didn't commit suicide with a fentanyl overdose.

Look at an anatomy book. There are no vital structures on the side of the neck.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Chauvin didn't kill Floyd. Floyd killed Floyd.

You're forgetting the enough pressure on the carotid arteries can kill someone.

http://www.forensicmed.co.uk/p...so%20been%20reported.

Petechiae are also seen in cases of arm chokeholds i.e. Shime-waza (a judo hold designed to bring about loss of consciousness in ten seconds). In the carotid sleeper and bar-arm control used in law enforcement has been linked to some deaths, and in these cases petechiae, soft tissue haemorrhage, and laryngeal fractures have also been reported.

In assaults etc., raised venous pressure in the neck veins may also be related to struggling/screaming against obstructed airways, raising cardiac output and blood pressure, and possibly also linked with fragile vasculature, especially in the elderly, giving rise to more petechiae (

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No there isn’t. The medical examiner added the LE constraint comments AFTER political pressure. He also quite clearly stated in that suppressed memo with the AG that if Floyd had been found and autopsied without any other “evidence”, that he would rule it a drug overdose.

The guy above is an idiot. A neck restraints isn’t the same as making a guy do the chicken for fucks sake.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
FWIW: I'm not an MD, but was a police officer for more than 30 years and involved in thee justice system for over 40. Until the Chauvin trial, I'd never heard the term "Blood Choke." In the 1970's and onward, I'd been trained to use a carotid restraint as an approved use of force in situations justifying it and had done so once in my career outside of the training environment. In all my experience, I was NEVER trained and always admonished not to apply any kind of hold that restricted breathing and placed the arm across the subject's throat in a manner that could cause damage to the trachea. This was referred to as a "bar arm" restraint. I never used the "bar arm" restraint or saw it used and it would be a violation of my agency's policy to apply one unless an officer was in a situation allowing the use of deadly force, in which case almost "anything" (even tools and tactics we weren't formally trained in the use of) were options.

Restraining arrestees by placing them face down on the ground and maintaining their position there by using your weight/knees over their upper chest and neck was part of our training, although we were warned that those with pre-existing health issues were susceptible to "positional asphyxia." One of the supervisors on my department had occasion to deal with a subject that was physically attacking cars in a busy intersection. The subject had pre-existing physical conditions and was under the influence of a CNS stimulant, but had enough sense to see the sergeant pointing a gun at him and complied with his order to lay down on the ground. Without ANY use of physical force beyond handcuffing, the subject went into cardiac arrest prior to the arrival of other officers (within five minutes) and died at the hospital.

I don't recall the exact coroner's findings other than the death was classified as "Accidental" due to the combination of drug overdose, pre-existing medical conditions, and "possible positional asphyxia." I was told this part of the equation is extremely difficult to verify as there's usually no observable physical evidence on the body that can document such a condition. If an officer(s) has a non-compliant arrestee that can't/won't be placed in an upright position for transport to a custody facility or to a hospital, his or her choices are limited. This sergeant's actions were deemed reasonable and necessary.

As a trained homicide investigator (certified by my state), I was taught that petechiae can be present in cases of (natural causes) cardiac arrest unrelated to the use of force, as well as manual strangulation (homicides) and suicides involving ligature.

If the toxicology report in this case indicates (as I've been told) that Floyd had more than a lethal amount of narcotics in his system and he had serious pre-existing medical conditions, I just can't see the prosecution meeting it's constitutionally required burden of proof ("beyond reasonable doubt").

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10193 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw the Cup foods store manager open carrying.

-----------------

posted Hide Post
Pulicords is right. I too received arm bar restraint training and I used it several times. Once to remove a dude who had a Cop down on his back and was sitting on him. Arm bar was later prohibited due to it being applied too long and injuries to the spine that could occur during its use. I also received Positional Asphyxia training.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

That's on the bodycam footage. I think bodycams need a watermark time stamp ghosted over the full frame so all edits and time skips are obvious. But you know, media can't show anything that conflicts with their narrative, regardless of facts.
The complete Floyd arrest video paints a picture the prosecution just can't allow, that Floyd was clearly jacked up on Fentanyl and Methamphetamine and was suffering symptoms associated with that drug overdose long before 'he' asked to be placed on the ground. The coroner's report clearly indicated Floyd had 3 times the lethal dose of Fentanyl in his system when the autopsy was done. Couple that with the cop using a procedure taught and approved for use by his agency, and any reasonably intelligent person will come to the conclusion that Floyd essentially killed himself via his behavior just before and during his arrest. But in the moronic world we live in today, facts don't seem to matter much anymore, so this cop may indeed get railroaded to appease the mob, which will likely riot and burn stuff anyway.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
FWIW: I'm not an MD, but was a police officer for more than 30 years and involved in thee justice system for over 40. Until the Chauvin trial, I'd never heard the term "Blood Choke." In the 1970's and onward, I'd been trained to use a carotid restraint as an approved use of force in situations justifying it and had done so once in my career outside of the training environment. In all my experience, I was NEVER trained and always admonished not to apply any kind of hold that restricted breathing and placed the arm across the subject's throat in a manner that could cause damage to the trachea. This was referred to as a "bar arm" restraint. I never used the "bar arm" restraint or saw it used and it would be a violation of my agency's policy to apply one unless an officer was in a situation allowing the use of deadly force, in which case almost "anything" (even tools and tactics we weren't formally trained in the use of) were options.

Restraining arrestees by placing them face down on the ground and maintaining their position there by using your weight/knees over their upper chest and neck was part of our training, although we were warned that those with pre-existing health issues were susceptible to "positional asphyxia." One of the supervisors on my department had occasion to deal with a subject that was physically attacking cars in a busy intersection. The subject had pre-existing physical conditions and was under the influence of a CNS stimulant, but had enough sense to see the sergeant pointing a gun at him and complied with his order to lay down on the ground. Without ANY use of physical force beyond handcuffing, the subject went into cardiac arrest prior to the arrival of other officers (within five minutes) and died at the hospital.

I don't recall the exact coroner's findings other than the death was classified as "Accidental" due to the combination of drug overdose, pre-existing medical conditions, and "possible positional asphyxia." I was told this part of the equation is extremely difficult to verify as there's usually no observable physical evidence on the body that can document such a condition. If an officer(s) has a non-compliant arrestee that can't/won't be placed in an upright position for transport to a custody facility or to a hospital, his or her choices are limited. This sergeant's actions were deemed reasonable and necessary.

As a trained homicide investigator (certified by my state), I was taught that petechiae can be present in cases of (natural causes) cardiac arrest unrelated to the use of force, as well as manual strangulation (homicides) and suicides involving ligature.

If the toxicology report in this case indicates (as I've been told) that Floyd had more than a lethal amount of narcotics in his system and he had serious pre-existing medical conditions, I just can't see the prosecution meeting it's constitutionally required burden of proof ("beyond reasonable doubt").

thanks for sharing that -- great perspective

I think there is a decent probability that Chauvin is found Not Guilty. Especially if he: 1. followed Dept. protocol and 2. the drug toxicity levels are deemed high enough.

His defense attorney seems to be doing a solid job.

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Everyone is forgetting that Floyd was asked if he was on anything. If he had said yes, he could have gotten narcan treatment and been out of jail before he started itching for the next hit.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Once again, remember this is a criminal trial; all it takes is one juror to simply and without bias look at the facts and say “not guilty”. Surely at least one juror has the integrity to follow the truth (as well as the clear empirical evidence).

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15546 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The MPD IT guy is showing the entire bodycam video. Seems to be repeating it for each officer's cam. Didn't expect the prosecution to show all of it unedited. At least the jury will be able to make their own conclusions about it.

Maybe they thing the repetition will create sympathy for all of Mr. Floyds "can't breath" cries. But all I see is a hysterical intoxicated person freaking out and resisting arrest after not being able to follow simple commands. Clearly something is seriously wrong with him. The defense said he swallowed pills (hiding evidence) when the police confronted him. Would the Fentanyl/Meth speedball get into his blood that fast? The "I can't breathes" start while standing outside the Police SUV, then while inside, then as he comes out the other side and gets on the ground.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Once again, remember this is a criminal trial; all it takes is one juror to simply and without bias look at the facts and say “not guilty”. Surely at least one juror has the integrity to follow the truth (as well as the clear empirical evidence).
Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. How many people in that rat hole city want to be "the guy/woman" who prevented conviction, and then have to walk out of the courthouse into the teeth of the mob. My bet, not one. If the jury actually rendered a decision based solely on the facts, they'd come back with a unanimous 'not guilty' verdict and the savages could get onto burning down everything.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the truth will win out.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post