SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Derek Chauvin Trial
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Derek Chauvin Trial Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Chauvin Trial: Verdict Prediction (of Sorts), with Reasons

https://lawofselfdefense.com/c...-sorts-with-reasons/

Posts: 12581 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

Thank you excellent reasoning, and write up. Unfortunately, he is correct in how he suspects this will go vs. the establishment of reasonable doubt. I fear we are moving further into mob rule - that is the crude summary of what he outlines.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Severed PIG'S HEAD is left outside former home of Chauvin defense witness who said George Floyd's death was 'accidental'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...vered-PIGS-HEAD.html

Vandals have struck the former home of an expert witness who testified in Derek Chavin's defense, smearing it in blood and leaving a severed pig's head on the doorstep, days after he took the stand in the George Floyd trial.

The group of vandals struck at around 3am on Saturday, wiping animal blood on the front door and garage of the residence in Santa Rosa, California, where use-of-force expert Barry Brodd once lived.

Police said the hoodlums, dressed entirely in black, tossed the pig's head onto the front porch and fled on foot as the resident called 911.

Soon afterwards, a similar looking group splattered animal blood on a statue of a hand in a nearby shopping mall, leaving a sign with a picture of a pig and the words 'Oink Oink'.

'Mr. Brodd has not lived at the residence for a number of years and is no longer a resident of California. Because Mr. Brodd no longer lives in the city of Santa Rosa, it appears the victim was falsely targeted,' police said in a statement.

More at link.

Posts: 12581 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
From the Santa Rosa Press Democrat:

quote:
The statement released by police on Saturday included a statement that was issued by Police Chief Rainer Navarro on Tuesday, following Brodd’s testimony during the Derek Chauvin trial.

“Mr. Brodd’s comments do not reflect the values and beliefs of the Santa Rosa Police Department,” Navarro’s statement said.

I grew up in this part of California; the paper used to be conservative, and is now Leftist (I went to college with the guy who used to be the editor of the editorial page). It does not surprise me at all that the local police chief has thrown former SRPD officer Brodd under the proverbial bus.

This part of Northern California used to be the best place in the country to live. Now it's all Leftists and retired hippies.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Maxine Waters is batshit crazy. When does her impeachment trial start?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
A few lawyers who have been following the case have expressed disappointment that defense lawyer Nelson didn't put on a stronger case during the defense part of the trial.

A couple of them noted that as the trial wore on, it was obvious that Nelson was getting tired and worn down. The prosecutors stacked up 8 or 9 prosecutors, many working "free of charge", and kept hammering the same issues over and over.

Incredible example of an unfair prosecution.

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Severed PIG'S HEAD is left outside former home of Chauvin defense witness who said George Floyd's death was 'accidental'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...vered-PIGS-HEAD.html

Vandals have struck the former home of an expert witness who testified in Derek Chavin's defense, smearing it in blood and leaving a severed pig's head on the doorstep, days after he took the stand in the George Floyd trial.

The group of vandals struck at around 3am on Saturday, wiping animal blood on the front door and garage of the residence in Santa Rosa, California, where use-of-force expert Barry Brodd once lived.

Police said the hoodlums, dressed entirely in black, tossed the pig's head onto the front porch and fled on foot as the resident called 911.

Soon afterwards, a similar looking group splattered animal blood on a statue of a hand in a nearby shopping mall, leaving a sign with a picture of a pig and the words 'Oink Oink'.

'Mr. Brodd has not lived at the residence for a number of years and is no longer a resident of California. Because Mr. Brodd no longer lives in the city of Santa Rosa, it appears the victim was falsely targeted,' police said in a statement.

More at link.

And here we have the best example why mob justice is so dangerous. It is mindless, careless and consumes the innocent and guilty alike while seeking to escape justice for itself.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Closing arguments ongoing. I wonder how long the jury will be deliberating? As long possible I suspect.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
quote:

Thank you excellent reasoning, and write up. Unfortunately, he is correct in how he suspects this will go vs. the establishment of reasonable doubt. I fear we are moving further into mob rule - that is the crude summary of what he outlines.
Just remember, when mob rule finally takes over, chaos comes with it, followed shortly by vigilante justice. If the lowest IQ's among us think (relatively speaking) they want that environment, they might think again, because when the population opts to take manners into their own hands, a whole lotta walking, talking, knuckle draggers could end up very cold in rubber bags. The country needs to start to pump the brakes before we get too far down that road.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Maxine Waters is batshit crazy.
You appear late to the party on this one. Maxi-pad Watters has been bat shit crazy (and illiterate) forever. She needs to be jailed at Club Fed for a very long time.
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Closing arguments ongoing. I wonder how long the jury will be deliberating? As long possible I suspect.
Personally, I hope they come back in about an hour. That's more time than this issue deserves.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigdeal,

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Maxine Waters is batshit crazy. When does her impeachment trial start?

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that she sleeps hanging upside down in a cave somewhere.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aunt Esther will not be held accountable due to her being black. She’s the worst type of racist.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Enough on that imbecile. Let's move on.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Just remember, when mob rule finally takes over, chaos comes with it, followed shortly by vigilante justice. If the lowest IQ's among us think (relatively speaking) they want that environment, they might think again, because when the population opts to take manners into their own hands, a whole lotta walking, talking, knuckle draggers could end up very cold in rubber bags. The country needs to start to pump the brakes before we get too far down that road.

Everyone wants to be a gangster until it's time to do gangster shit.

Those idiots who are calling for violence don't want violence because they have never seen true violence against an opponent equally armed. They're accustomed to victims.

Posts: 13049 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nelson's closing is brilliant.

Close to the beginning he brought up the very point - if he had 98% blood oxygenation, how did he die of low oxygenation? He pointed out that it is illogical to use the 98% to rule out CO poisoning but then also claim death of asphyxia. It was the EMT's applications of forced respiration and pure oxygen that re-oxygenated his blood levels. IMO he showed the obvious bias of the pulmonologist picking and choosing facts to support his argument.

Now he's saying that the state has gone to great lengths with experts that did not examine the body to contradict the actual ME report that drugs were a factor and that there is no physical evidence of asphyxia.

No matter what anyone says, there is reasonable doubt.

And the CNN Prosecution Cheerleaders are all doing the usual....

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
As I have said from the start, this case has reasonable doubt all over it. We'll see if the jury is swayed by public opinion or does its duty. It ought to at least hang, if not acquit.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the smarmy attitude of the prosecutors will play a factor?

Blackwell was so badly belittling the defense at the end that Nelson used it as a reason for mistrial.

I think Nelson was superb.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

The trial should have been stopped and a change of venue ordered, in my opinion. The jury was not sequestered and had open access to all media information. Given that Waters is calling for more violence, and the jury knows their identities will be released one day is enough to make an impact on their decision.

It should never been allowed in Minnesota. It was so very obvious a fair trial couldn't be conducted with all of the media coverage. I figured if the verdict was guilty, the defense would be more than justified in seeking appeal. Better legal minds then mine feel free to correct my opinion.

Anyone know who's paying for the defense? Eric Nelson has a few annoying speech patterns like saying "right" after he makes a point but he is a pretty smart cookie.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is remotely possible that the judge is intentionally creating/allowing reversible error.

Why?

Because there is no way to get a fair trial in this political climate. So the best interest of justice is served by allowing an unfair trial to occur so that in the event of a conviction Derek Chauvin may appeal and get the verdict set aside. Then a new trial will occur a couple years down the line after the heat has blown over, possibly with a change of venue to a less biased jurisdiction. I'm not sure if he could avoid prison during the interim. Perhaps an agreement to let him stay out on bail or under house arrest could occur.

I do think that any prison sentence that exposes Mr. Chauvin to any general population will be a death sentence. He must remain isolated under protection at all times. I hope the jury thinks about that as much as they think about the riots that will occur if they do anything but convict for murder. Manslaughter won't be enough to avoid riots.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
The riots will happen regardless. At this point, they’re a tactic.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post