SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trip insurance info needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trip insurance info needed Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted
Greetings all. My daughter is traveling Europe, mainly Italy, this spring, and I'm contemplating getting a "catastrophic" insurance plan for her - immediate flight back home in case of appendage breakage, hospitalization, etc. What says the forum? Links please.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I think it's a good idea, but just know that most insurances reimburse out of pocket costs that are covered with the policy. It's not like she's going to get into a situation where she waves her insurance card around and everything's paid for. She would still need access to some form of payment to cover the costs.

I buy my insurance through Travel Guard.

Luckily I've never had to use them.

ETA: She probably doesn't need the coverage you're talking about. The coverage I would be looking into is emergency evacuation or trip interruption due to a terrorist attack or some other natural disaster. It's not like Europe is a third world country or something. They have good medical care. More than likely if you got the coverage I spoke of above it would include basic hospital costs, but you'd have to read the policy to be sure.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have only ever had dive insurance when I travel. That does cover emergency evac for dive injuries and medical treatment.

Not sure I would buy something for a Europe trip if I was just going to be in the cities and stuff. Doing more adventurous stuff in more remote places maybe. Guess it depends on the cost.

I will say read the fine print. I know a few people that have used DAN for dive injuries and it worked out very well but I have also heard other stories. Just make sure you know what is covered and how it is covered. I know my dive insurance is secondary insurance, which isn't bad but just understand what is and isn't covered and how it is covered.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
When we lived in Russia, our family had evacuation insurance. We didn't need it, but one of our group had to be flown to Finland.
In western Europe, medical care is excellent, and likely the doctors (at least some of them) speak English.
As a physician, I wouldn't recommend it, as evacuation in a critical care situation might well delay needed emergency care.
Now when I went to Africa last summer...I got it again.

Check with her medical coverage to see what kind of out-of-area coverage she has for international travel.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I buy my insurance through Travel Guard

This is what I've always purchased. Medjet is the other company that I will consider. Travel insurance is pretty cheap and it's inexpensive peace of mind. Simple but irksome issues like flight delay, lost passport, flight cancellation or, baggage delay, weather interruption or, airline goes bankrupt are the more common uses of such insurance.

Big thing is to make sure the plan has medical evacuation and repatriation coverage. It's one thing to seek some medical care for a bad cold/flu, maybe a twisted ankle, its something else should a more serious injury happen. All it takes it some freak accident like a brick falling or, a block coming loose at some old building, a slip on some wet stairs or, a fire in the building that results in health complications. Should you need to be returned back to the states with medical assistance, you're gonna end up buying medical care in-country, at least four airplane tickets if you're immobilized, the ticket for the nurse to accompany you and their time on salary, along with whomever their companion is. Remember, it's inexpensive peace of mind.

Just remind her, to save all receipts, and gets names (nurses, customer service, managers, etc) of whomever she comes in contact with should something occur. The insurance company will want as much documentation as possible, the more effort you make, the more they'll be sympathetic to your claim...usually.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
My Chase Sapphire Reserve card includes 100k in medical evacuation for myself, my spouse, and children. Simply pay for a portion of the trip using the credit card.

While in Africa, I made sure to get additional insurance that included non medical evacuation due to civil unrest, political instability, etc. I read through dozens of policies--most non medical evacuation only covers natural catastrophe.

For Western Europe, I'd rely on the included card benefit. I've seen included travel benefits on my American Express and Citi Professional card, and almost all of my Chase cards.

If she doesn't already have a card with good travel benefits, she should consider getting one. While in Europe, she should be using a credit card with zero international transaction fees for all her purchases, and an ATM card to get local currency to get the best exchange rate.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Trip insurance is cheap and I never leave the country without it. My favorite online broker is squaremouth.com. Not sure who owns them, but they sell products from most of the big names and their filters and side-by-side comparisons make it extremely easy to drill down to the coverage you want. Pricing is listed right up front. No human contact required. No sales calls or e-mails, either.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
+1 for SquareMouth

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
This is one I've worked with several times. They offer:

• Travel Medical Insurance
o Single Trip
o Multi Trip
• Trip Protection
• Expatriate Health Insurance
• International Student Health

Link to their self service website:

http://www.hthtravelinsurance....sonalized=y&header=y

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
+1 for SquareMouth

+2!!!!

I chose CSA from their site and it paid off as stated for my delay claim. Couldn't have been happier with them.

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I do not have any information regarding different options.

However, having a Daughter who became ill, while on a month long travel abroad program in India, I recommend getting good insurance.

Our Daughter spent a week in one of the Apollo Hospitals. she fully recovered, but it was a Loooooong week.

I hope your Daughter enjoys her trip.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have always bought the Travelguard type on our trips.
Ironically a friend of the family (70 or so at the time) was visiting his son in Scotland about 10 years ago. Had a heart attack requiring surgery with a stint. Was in the hospital several days. They ended up charging him NOTHING. This ironically is a guy who doesn’t need charity. He inquired and was told no charges you were a guest of the country.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read through dozens of policies...

I bet that was exciting.

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all, for the input. After reading the above posts I think I need to re-think: what I'd probably like is an evacuation / after immediate hospitalization insurance. If something should happen I don't want her "cattle car'ed" in an airplane whilst bed ridden, etc. After stabilizing I want her home asap.

Also, this is a school trip so payment was cash and a basic insurance was included. Also, she's not 18 so I'm having to search for a bank to issue her a credit card.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Chase Sapphire Reserve card includes 100k in medical evacuation for myself, my spouse, and children. Simply pay for a portion of the trip using the credit card.

I'm gonna have to go back and look at the fine print on that. One of the issues for such coverage is a)who's choice to medically evacuate and b)evacuate where, first stop in your home country or, back to where your personal doctor is, which is the key in repatriation coverage. Besides that CSR is a fantastic travel card.

criagcpa- take a look at a few of these postings
https://community.ricksteves.c...0c-810d-e7ff1ad978bd
https://community.ricksteves.c...1d-b3fe-e319555e46fc
Use the search feature and poke around the different forum pages also, lots of good feedback.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post