SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garbage Disposal Recall - Waste King and Others
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garbage Disposal Recall - Waste King and Others Login/Join 
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2...ll-Garbage-Disposals

Anaheim Manufacturing and Moen have announced a voluntary recall of several 3/4- and 1-horsepower garbage disposals from various brands due to an impact hazard. Although no injuries have known to occur, 22 cases have been reported of a defect in which a metal component inside the disposal breaks off and comes out of the disposal during use. (In three of the cases, a consumer was hit by the object.)

Affected units were sold nationwide and in Canada from December 2015 through March 2017 and include brands such as Waste King, Moen, Kenmore, Frigidaire, and Franke. Customers are advised to immediately stop using these disposals and contact Anaheim Manufacturing to arrange for a free replacement garbage disposal to be installed at no cost to the consumer.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I knew it would happen.

They made them TOO strong! It was likely brought to light after people started using them for construction waste. (waste KANG)

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. Mine was one of the affected units. Should be getting it replaced by this Friday.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
They failed to note that this was only during the disposal of non-yak bovines.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It appears that I may have one of the suspect units as well. My serial number is 1D6-xxxxx which has a "6" in the third position. I just installed this unit last December and I really don't want to through that again.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I knew it would happen.

They made them TOO strong! It was likely brought to light after people started using them for construction waste. (waste KANG)

You Win Sir

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. Mine was also one of the those being recalled.

I made it easy on them, as mine is still brand new in the box. I was waiting for the old one to give up the ghost before replacing it.

They will be sending out a new unit, and giving me a prepaid shipping label to send the old one in.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
^^ Good customer service.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I can't find the link on the manufacturing website to figure out whether I'm affected.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Call the number listed in the link the OP posted. Have your model# and SN# ready to give them.

Easy Peasey!

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lithog
posted Hide Post
My 3/4 hp Waste King was delivered by FedEx literally 15 minutes ago.. I just happened to log on here and this was the first thread I saw. I called the number with my serial number and mine is not affected by the recall. It would have been great timing if it was.

---------------------------
"Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger, THE SHOOTER

Posts: 1216 | Location: Memphis,Tenn.,USA | Registered: October 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My replacement Waste Kang shipped to me today.

Fantastic service!

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Baby Yak Fightin Back !

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
It appears that I may have one of the suspect units as well. My serial number is 1D6-xxxxx which has a "6" in the third position. I just installed this unit last December and I really don't want to through that again.

From their recall site:

Remedy:
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled garbage disposals and contact Anaheim Manufacturing to arrange for a free replacement disposal to be installed at no cost to the consumer.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is it just me, or is this link 404?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

Is it just me, or is this link 404?

The link works for me.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
They failed to note that this was only during the disposal of non-yak bovines.

I understand Waste Kangs can also handle medium sized musk ox.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
I have a 1hp Waste King unit that's part of the recall. I received an email notification from Amazon. I'm using this as an opportunity to install the new unit with the 3 bolt mounting collar instead of the EZ plastic mount. I've found the EZ mount to back off or loosen itself with very little use. I'm constantly under the sink re-tightening the collar.

I told the rep that I'd perform the new install myself and save them the associated cost if they included the 3 bolt collar and they agreed.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Mine is affected. Of course they don't have a fucking agreement with anyone in the area so I need to pay my plumber and get reimbursed. I'm sure that will be quick and easy.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I'm glad the Kang is taking care of the issue but in light of this I'm glad I bucked the trend and went with an InSinkErator Evolution Excel. It is a great unit.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post