SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PSA: Windows 7 "End of Life" phase coming next year
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA: Windows 7 "End of Life" phase coming next year Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
Hey folks...just wanted to post a PSA if you're still on Windows 7. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium and a box popped up the other day after I rebooted and logged into Windows. It essentially stated something like Windows 7 support and updates would end on 14-JAN 2020. Apparently Windows 7 is getting to its "End of Life" phase...

When Windows 7 reaches its End of Life phase on January 14, 2020, Microsoft will stop releasing updates and patches for the operating system. ... However, that doesn't mean Windows 7 will stop working on January 14 2020 – you'll still be able to use Windows 7 for as long as you want.

Conducting a search just now, here is some expanded guidance and link...

All good things must come to an end, even Windows 7. After January 14, 2020, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or support for PCs running Windows 7. But you can keep the good times rolling by moving to Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-c...of-windows-7-support

By that time, the system I use in my office will probably get a pretty hefty upgrade that will include Windows 10. But I thought I would just throw this out there for the Windows 7 crowd...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. I am still using Windows 7 but I have a new 2 TB SSD drive loaded with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro.

Going to spend the rest of the year probably with W7 and slowly load up the W10 install with all the programs and stuff I typically use as time allows.

Should be ready to roll when support ends.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We have two MS-Win7 boxen in the ensigmatic household. Both dual-boot with Linux, as well. Neither is run under MS-Windows very often. I'll just leave MS-Win7 on them for as long as it remains useful, then recover the space for other uses after it is no longer.

I won't go near MS-Win10.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Yeah, we know. Eek

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We’re still using Win7 at work. Heck, we’re still using FoxPro and when did support end for that? 2007??

We won’t upgrade to Win10 until the state makes us. Our computers can barely handle Win7 (old Vista machines).

I still have an old Win8 desktop but everything else is Win10 now when it was free to upgrade.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I have Windows 7 on this laptop.....and thoroughly enjoy it.

My wife has Windows 10 on hers and it's a piece of garbage!!!!

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
W7 works perfect for what I want to do. I see no need to downgrade to W10 and absorb all the spyware and tracking programs

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have stuff that won't run on W10, and there is no good replacement for it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I'm rocking Win 7 on this laptop that I keep in the crashpad and also on my desktop at home. Win 10 always seemed like more of a hassle than it was worth.

Thinking of building a new desktop in May - it may be time to bite the bullet and have a Win 10 machine.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Just to stir things a bit, let me add that things haven't changed drastically over the past 25 years or more.

Spreadsheets, document files and even the latest main player, email, have remained basically the same since their appereance.

Of course there are hardware and drivers constraints, to some degree, less forgiving than your main programs.

If you run a circa 2002 XP system you are still pretty much covered for the main programs, browsers will bitch a little but antivirus and antispyware and other utilities have your back covered.

Wonder if the same can be said for a W95 box...

Just sayin' Big Grin

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I work for one of the largest healthcare orgs in the World and we are in the middle of migrating more than 250k PC’s to W10. Lots of fun and games trying to schedule that across the world.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1837 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ok, I'll bite. What's wrong with Windows 10?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10892 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
O&O Shutup10?

Opinions? Looks neat but I dunnoo...

Don't mean to hijack but if you are stuck with windows it might be a great way to turn shit off you don't like...

Posts: 5127 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've got a few Windows 7 machines scattered around that I never used the Win 10 upgrade as I'm happy with 7.

A couple months ago Acer recertified sent an email blast with a deal I couldn't pass up on a Win 10 desktop. I'm not tech trained but have been playing with pcs for 20 years. It took me some trial and error to get used to 10 but now I like it better and seldom use my win 7 machines.

Posts: 4689 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I'm still running 7 on three machines and getting everything I need to do done.

I also have XP on an old laptop which I use as an email device since it still runs Outlook Express with its easy interface for maintaining multiple email addresses/identities.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3444 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I have updated numerous 7 and 8 OS's to 10 for free still with the Microsoft media creation tool. Just did one a week ago. YMMV but I have yet to find one that I couldn't get activated. Some activate seamlessly others require activation by phone. It's automated and pretty simple. You don't have to talk to someone if you have a smart phone.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1730 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I can't get industry standard professional equipment to work with 10.

It works perfect on 7 and the Macs.

I am being sent to Las Vegas to meet with SAi and X-Rite tomorrow to see what can be done.

10 will load the spectrophotometer robotic table driver, but fail to see it on any port in the software.

I can get some functionality if I do everything manually, but when you have thousands of color patches to scan, it's tedious and inefficient.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Guess I should do something about that WinXP box I have laying around....

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

Ok, I'll bite. What's wrong with Windows 10?

MS-Win10, specifically? TBH I no longer recall the list of things I disliked about it, but it was fairly extensive. I know the "phone home" stuff was a big one. Bottom line is I do not like MS-Windows. Never have. (Save a brief infatuation with NT4, which lasted about as long as it took to actually try to use it in practice.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been on 10 since it was released. It is running on a Surface Pro (which means it will run with Apple reliability since MS owns the hardware). I am also running it on an older Samsung notebook and it has continually improved. I've never been screwed by an update. I guess I am lucky.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post