SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ex-Minneapolis F.B.I. Agent Is Sentenced to 4 Years in Leak Case
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ex-Minneapolis F.B.I. Agent Is Sentenced to 4 Years in Leak Case Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/1...-fbi-sentencing.html

By the time Terry J. Albury arrived in Minneapolis in 2012, about 11 years after he went to work for the F.B.I., he had grown increasingly convinced that agents were abusing their powers and discriminating against racial and religious minorities as they hunted for potential terrorists.

The son of an Ethiopian political refugee, Mr. Albury was the only African-American field agent assigned to a counterterrorism squad that scrutinized Minnesota’s Somali-American community. There, according to his lawyer, he became disillusioned about “widespread racist and xenophobic sentiments” in the bureau and “discriminatory practices and policies he observed and implemented.”

In 2016, Mr. Albury began photographing secret documents that described F.B.I. powers to recruit potential informants and identify potential extremists. On Thursday, he was sentenced to four years in prison after pleading guilty last year to unauthorized disclosures of national security secrets for sending several of the documents to The Intercept, which published the files with a series titled “The F.B.I.’s Secret Rules.”

Before Judge Wilhelmina M. Wright announced the sentence, Mr. Albury spoke haltingly in her courtroom in downtown St. Paul, pausing to wipe his face and breathe deeply. He apologized to his former F.B.I. colleagues and said he had been motivated to act by perceived injustices. In hindsight, he said, he wished he had voiced his concerns through official channels and not the news media.

the Justice Department rejected the portrayal of Mr. Albury as a whistle-blower, saying he had done nothing internally to raise any concerns about or try to change F.B.I. policies.

Hunting down the leaker, F.B.I. agents raided Mr. Albury’s house last year and found digital copies of several dozen additional classified files. He was fired after a career of about 16 years.

Posts: 19561 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This is what you get when diversity outweighs any other qualification for a job. This individual was clearly unqualified for this job given his behavior and mental state, but was likely hired to meet the FBI's diversity quota. Wonder how many more Albury's there are working at the FBI, CIA, and DOJ, let alone all the other alphabet agencies in Washington.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
This is what you get when diversity outweighs any other qualification for a job. This individual was clearly unqualified for this job given his behavior and mental state, but was likely hired to meet the FBI's diversity quota. Wonder how many more Albury's there are working at the FBI, CIA, and DOJ, let alone all the other alphabet agencies in Washington.

What are you going to do when you are casing all these different racial/ethnic/religious groups?

It’s hard to get Mick O’Shaunessey in as undercover in the Bonanno family.

When the FBI fanned out to gather up the info after 9/11, we had a couple of “white boys” come out to interview a couple of my Arab clients. They did their best but struggled with the cultural and language limitations, the social structure and customs at the mosques and so forth. The clients may have been truthful but it was likely incomplete, confusing and missing perhaps important details and nuances that a “native” might have captured.

Communists were easy in the old days.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
During the most righteous administration of Braack the Beneficient? Say it ain't so!

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

What are you going to do when you are casing all these different racial/ethnic/religious groups?

When the FBI fanned out to gather up the info after 9/11, we had a couple of “white boys” come out to interview a couple of my Arab clients. They did their best but struggled with the cultural and language limitations, the social structure and customs at the mosques and so forth. The clients may have been truthful but it was likely incomplete, confusing and missing perhaps important details and nuances that a “native” might have captured.

Guess I'm thinking backwards on the issue. The group(s) this guy was likely recruited to investigate need to be systematically identified and exported to another country, one they might actually have some respect or love for. Then Mick O'Shaunessey and his crew should be able to handle whatever comes across their desks. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Guess I'm thinking backwards on the issue. The group(s) this guy was likely recruited to investigate need to be systematically identified and exported to another country, one they might actually have some respect or love for. Then Mick O'Shaunessey and his crew should be able to handle whatever comes across their desks. Wink

Maybe somebody should have thought about that approach with the 5 Families. When in Rome, do as the Romans and all that.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post