SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Facebook Flags Declaration of Indepence as Hate Speech
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facebook Flags Declaration of Indepence as Hate Speech Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redwood25:
And yet, I have several friends that have posted quotes from, and pictures of the Declaration of Independence over the last few days (and that I've seen as recently as a few minutes ago) that have not been removed, nor have they received any notices of any sort regarding their postings.

Different section. The Declaration is more than the opening paragraph.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
quote:
Poor software algorithm. Unfortunate, but not likely nefarious. Some of y'all are as easily-triggered as snowflakes <smh>

You think if no one said anything or showed outrage that FB would correct the 'error' on its own?

If it was automation, which a suspect it almost certainly was: If nobody said anything they probably wouldn't have noticed.

Some of y'all are amazing. You rant and rave and laugh about "leftist outrage" and "triggered snowflakes," then turn around and act the same damn way

Are you saying that because some of us criticize melting snowflakes, that if we are outraged ever we are hypocrites?

That's precisely what I'm suggesting.

quote:
I think the difference is in why each party is outraged. Outrage over SJW causes is illegitimate.

In your opinion.

quote:
Outrage over incremental loss of the heritage of this nation and consequently the value of the founding principles and eventual loss of liberty is justified.

Not when it's outrage over what was in all likelihood a bit of poorly-coded automation software that, when it was brought to their attention, was addressed.

In my opinion.

But by all means: Rant on if it makes you happy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I can forgive it being flagged and it would be a huge monetary drain to verify every flag prior to action.

So stuff happens. Dang, just read all the verses of the national anthem. Scott had an axe to grind.

Anyway, I was unable to find if Facebook fixed it once they were made aware of the problem. If they choose to continue to ban the DoI then yes, I will be enraged.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
Anyway, I was unable to find if Facebook fixed it once they were made aware of the problem.

I read somewhere they had.

I once belonged to a sailing forum that decided they needed to get a handle on some of the salty language. Sailing forum. Who'd have thought, eh? Anyway, they felt they needed to become more "family friendly." So they instituted a plug-in to their forum software.

It flagged things like "cockpit" and other common sailing/boat terms

(They did manage to make the forum "family-friendly." And many of the really knowledgeable sailors left the forum. At which point I did, too, as I was there to learn about sailing from people who knew more than me.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Poor software algorithm. Unfortunate, but not likely nefarious. Some of y'all are as easily-triggered as snowflakes <smh>

You think if no one said anything or showed outrage that FB would correct the 'error' on its own?

If it was automation, which a suspect it almost certainly was: If nobody said anything they probably wouldn't have noticed.

Some of y'all are amazing. You rant and rave and laugh about "leftist outrage" and "triggered snowflakes," then turn around and act the same damn way

Are you saying that because some of us criticize melting snowflakes, that if we are outraged ever we are hypocrites?

That's precisely what I'm suggesting.

quote:
I think the difference is in why each party is outraged. Outrage over SJW causes is illegitimate.

In your opinion.

quote:
Outrage over incremental loss of the heritage of this nation and consequently the value of the founding principles and eventual loss of liberty is justified.

Not when it's outrage over what was in all likelihood a bit of poorly-coded automation software that, when it was brought to their attention, was addressed.

In my opinion.

But by all means: Rant on if it makes you happy.

I didn't rant. I objected to your condescension.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
In my OP I wrote

quote:
I work with geeks. I've been a geek myself for the past 35 years

To me, this is less about Facebook's leanings (although they are undeniably Leftist) than it is about writing code.

It's extremely difficult to write computer code and make it about "context." It seems quite obvious to me that Facebook's algorithms are pretty much a "dictionary" of objectionable terms and phrases, and do not include contextual, or "fuzzy" logic. The capability exists today to do proximity searches, and basing a flag filter on contextual lookups (e.g., does the term 'Indian Savages' occur within two paragraphs of the words "Oppressions" and "Redress"), but it would appear Facebook's coders do not "go the extra mile" to add sophistication and context to their censorship policies.

Of late, Facebook has been slapped a number of times for this kind of shoddy coding.

It seems to me that if you wish to be a world-class leading technology, you should work on being so, rather than focus simply on the quest for dollars.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't rant. I objected to your condescension.

I did not mean to be condescending. I only meant to point out that some here are guilty of the very same behaviour for which they criticize leftist snowflakes.

quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
In my OP I wrote

quote:
I work with geeks. I've been a geek myself for the past 35 years

To me, this is less about Facebook's leanings (although they are undeniably Leftist) than it is about writing code.

Exactly. Never ascribe to malice what can reasonably be explained by incompetence, stupidity, ignorance, laziness or some combination thereof.

People seem to think writing code is easy. It never was and it's become increasingly difficult as the complexity of things software is tasked to handle has increased and the pool of truly capable software designers and engineers has shrunk, compared to demand.

quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Of late, Facebook has been slapped a number of times for this kind of shoddy coding.

It seems to me that if you wish to be a world-class leading technology, you should work on being so, rather than focus simply on the quest for dollars.

This is a problem with software development everywhere, IME. Software developers quote time-to-complete overly optimistically, end-up under the gun to meet projected schedules, and toss it over the wall as soon as it minimally meets the spec.

There are ways to address this age-old (in modern tech terms) problem (and has been for a good many years), but they require a fairly expensive infrastructure and a fairly stable workforce. That costs time and money. And "it's only software."

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I don't like Twitter, either. In my opinion, there are probably other "mistakes" in Facebook's algorithms yet undiscovered. They have no lack of programmers or money. Facebook apologists aside, they fixed things because they were embarrassed into doing the right thing.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
perhaps since they fail at writing these code chunks to squelch free speech, they should give up and just be content to run a social media site

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There should be complaints about this so FB can correct its code and not flag the Declaration as hate speech.

But it was almost certainly inadvertent, and the program caught words out of context.

Complaining is legitimate, but this bit of evidence doesn't mean Zuckerberg doesn't love America. Not catching Russian hackers is much better evidence of that. Wink

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Here's now ridiculous FB is. I was closing out an account for a friend and was amazed to see they require a reason to close an account. Really?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Here's now ridiculous FB is. I was closing out an account for a friend and was amazed to see they require a reason to close an account.

Yeah! How unreasonable is it for a corporation to want to know why you don't want to do business with them any more! They should be more like my old bank, who didn't care why I was leaving them. Or the cable company, when I left them.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
JHE is being clever and he's right. This one event isolated is benign. Anyone reacting emphatically could be described in terms that delegitimize his concern and credibility. But an examination of the totality of events, on FB and fellow traveler entitites, illustrates an undeniable trend. That trend is a threat so I can understand the emphatic reactions. The greater and more present a threat, the more generally human nature defines it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Here's now ridiculous FB is. I was closing out an account for a friend and was amazed to see they require a reason to close an account.

Yeah! How unreasonable is it for a corporation to want to know why you don't want to do business with them any more! They should be more like my old bank, who didn't care why I was leaving them. Or the cable company, when I left them.

Of course they should WANT to know. REQUIRING you to tell them is an entirely different matter.

Posts: 2480 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I posted the DOI on my FaceBook page on July 4th, and it's still there. However, I posted an image of the actual document not typed words.

It sounds like they posted a typed version and some phrases triggered an autofilter.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's now ridiculous FB is. I was closing out an account for a friend and was amazed to see they require a reason to close an account. Really?

Keep doing it. Everyone needs to turn it off, as well as Twatter and the rest of them. Turn the shit off and live your life for real.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Of course they should WANT to know. REQUIRING you to tell them is an entirely different matter.

"Other": "Just because," or "I’m disinclined to acquiesce to your request," or "Bugger off" or whatever you want.

"Problem" solved, no?

quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Everyone needs to turn it off, as well as Twatter and the rest of them. Turn the shit off and live your life for real.

Using social media and having a real life are not mutually exclusive.

(*psssst* Don't look now, but web forums are a form of social media.)