SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Facebook Flags Declaration of Indepence as Hate Speech
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facebook Flags Declaration of Indepence as Hate Speech Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I work with geeks. I've been a geek myself for the past 35 years. Still...

In the week of America’s Independence Day, the algorithms of Facebook decided that the Declaration of Independence was hate speech.

The Liberty County Vindicator, a community newspaper between Houston and Beaumont, had been posting the whole declaration in small daily chunks for nine days on its Facebook page in the run-up to July 4. But the 10th excerpt was not posted Monday as scheduled, and the paper said it received an automated notice saying the post “goes against our standards on hate speech.”

Part of the standard notice, Vindicator managing editor Casey Stinnett wrote, included a warning that the newspaper could lose its Facebook account, on which it depends for much of its reach, if there were more violations.

The offending passage?

It was part of the document’s “Bill of Particulars” against Britain’s King George III: “He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.”

Mr. Stinnett dryly replied in an article about the rejection, “Perhaps had Thomas Jefferson written it as ‘Native Americans at a challenging stage of cultural development’ that would have been better. Unfortunately, Jefferson, like most British colonists of his day, did not hold an entirely friendly view of Native Americans.”

Oops. Link

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Please site your source.

Thank you for siting source.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Leftists are a cancer.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Please site your source.

Corrected, thanks.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Well, there was some fairly hateful accusations in there, you know. I bet George III was hunting for a safe space.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did King George feel uncomfortable?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Jefferson was a protester of some kind, wasn’t he? Wink

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please site your source.

At this site, we cite within others' sight....Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Please site your source.

Or...Sharp Sig shooter spots small slight.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
So, real or fake news?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
… I bet George III was hunting for a safe space.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I feel comfortable with the sides as they are lining up. Even their software hates our Country.

I have never used Facebook, and I feel better about that decision every day.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Please site your source.

Thank you for the correction. It will prevent future error. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I bet George III was hunting for a safe space.

More likely someone to dip their finger in water and cool his tongue.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
I have never used Facebook, and I feel better about that decision every day.

I have never had any inclination to use Facebook, tweeter or any of the other BS sites of that kind, either.

Mark Dice's new book The True Story of Fake News discusses Facebook and the like with some detail. It's not good.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Poor software algorithm. Unfortunate, but not likely nefarious. Some of y'all are as easily-triggered as snowflakes <smh>

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Poor software algorithm. Unfortunate, but not likely nefarious. Some of y'all are as easily-triggered as snowflakes <smh>

You think if no one said anything or showed outrage that FB would correct the 'error' on its own?

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You think if no one said anything or showed outrage that FB would correct the 'error' on its own?

If it was automation, which a suspect it almost certainly was: If nobody said anything they probably wouldn't have noticed.

Some of y'all are amazing. You rant and rave and laugh about "leftist outrage" and "triggered snowflakes," then turn around and act the same damn way

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

If it was automation, which a suspect it almost certainly was: If nobody said anything they probably wouldn't have noticed.

Some of y'all are amazing. You rant and rave and laugh about "leftist outrage" and "triggered snowflakes," then turn around and act the same damn way

Are you saying that because some of us criticize melting snowflakes, that if we are outraged ever we are hypocrites? I think the difference is in why each party is outraged. Outrage over SJW causes is illegitimate. Outrage over incremental loss of the heritage of this nation and consequently the value of the founding principles and eventual loss of liberty is justified.

posted Hide Post
And yet, I have several friends that have posted quotes from, and pictures of the Declaration of Independence over the last few days (and that I've seen as recently as a few minutes ago) that have not been removed, nor have they received any notices of any sort regarding their postings.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3479 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post