SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The "R" word?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "R" word? Login/Join 
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
So are there any banned words on SF?
Yes

I think I just hit one in another thread.

Cantaloupe?
Eggplant

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
Short story: Retarded is now the new banned speech.

How about "got off the short bus".

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about "got off the short bus".

Or "window lickers".

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is still used as in Retarded Ejaculation and in defining levels of Intelligence according to the standard IQ tests.

The terms Imbecile and Morons were the previous terms of intellectual classification, but are not in common use at present.

The context in which a word is used is what is important.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
It is still used as in Retarded Ejaculation and in defining levels of Intelligence according to the standard IQ tests.

The terms Imbecile and Morons were the previous terms of intellectual classification, but are not in common use at present.

The context in which a word is used is what is important.

In my HS sociology class, we were taught the 3 lowest levels of intelligence were idiots, imbeciles, and morons.
I have not thought about that in over 40 years.

Came across a document that describes the history of these terms. Some may find it interesting.
http://www.campbellmgold.com/a...imbeciles_idiots.pdf

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:
But I will say the use of the word "retard" as a derogatory comment about someone bothers me because I have a relative who is mentally retarded.
Yeah, that's the usual argument used by members who report the use of these words in a post.

Forgive me, but so what?

Now, if you take the next step and conclude that I'm callous and unfeeling because I don't correct or admonish members who use the word 'retard', simply because there are mentally disabled people in the world and you happen to know someone like this, congratulations, because you are on your way to being a Social Justice Warrior. They, too, want to suppress the speech of others, simply because they are offended.

Not good enough, Not even in the same zip code as good enough. If everyone in the world has to refrain from using any words that offend someone else, then we'll all have to become mute and eliminate written language as well.

I agree. No, I think people get offended far too easily. I personally choose to not get offended. Just because I don't like a particular word and choose to personally not use the word, that doesn't mean I'm for banning everyone else from using it.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Most of these are medical Imbecile, moron, and idiot are progressively worsening levels of intelligence as measured on the IQ scales. They were replaced by retarded (mild, moderate, and severely). Cretin (one who is afflicted by cretinism - caused by congenital severe hypothyroidism) - is another medical term that has been co-opted to mean a stupid, vulgar, or insensitive person - though those afflicted with cretinism display significant physical stunting and mental retardation. There are several other words with legitimate medical meanings that have been co-opted and deemed offensive through the years, however, were originally used simply to describe the condition of patients, not to demean them.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
It is a small step from telling what they can say to telling them what they can think.

Both are exercises in power and condition the victim to accept that control, and in fact internalize it.

There are words that while 20-30 years ago many of us would have found offensive, today we fear speaking it in a whisper in a back corner of the basement.

The left has not only done this too us repeatedly, but as they always do are escalating it. The latest? "Mob" and "Fake News" are now supposedly banned words at least when spoken by Republicans. Which also has precedent since there are words that can be spoken by one group but not another.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post