SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The "R" word?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "R" word? Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
From time to time, I get complaints about posts in this forum that use the words retard or retarded.

Now that's just retarded.

It is a term I tend to use time to time, color me traditional; it's has been an accepted term when I was younger, why not now. A few of my friends groan when I use it, but I always point out "who says I can't use the word. Who says that it is unacceptable? Who is the authority? And they usually have no answer for it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I think it's retarded how offended people get by words.

Actually, I think it's retarded that people even get offended? What does that mean? My t-shirt ruined your day? My word upset you and ruined your day? You're weak AF if others can affect you so easily.

That's ridiculous. I'm glad to know I have so much power over so many simpletons.

Retarded!!!!! If I ruined your day, good. You're an idiot and you can't ruin mine.

Now what?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Metard, Youtard, Retardnation!!!!

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
From time to time, I get complaints about posts in this forum that use the words retard or retarded. Do you know what I do about these posts? Not a Goddamned thing.

you should write a book,,

titled,

the most retarded stuff I deal with on a forum

serious about the book, or at least a thread here,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
I'm not for banning words--free speech and all that. But I will say the use of the word "retard" as a derogatory comment about someone bothers me because I have a relative who is mentally retarded. I know the struggles she deals with and she can't help it. She was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck which cut off oxygen to her brain. And so I never use the word myself out of respect for her and everyone else who is mentally retarded but who have equal dignity as those who are mentally sound. But again, free speech and America. . .do what you want.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:
But I will say the use of the word "retard" as a derogatory comment about someone bothers me because I have a relative who is mentally retarded.
Yeah, that's the usual argument used by members who report the use of these words in a post.

Forgive me, but so what?

Now, if you take the next step and conclude that I'm callous and unfeeling because I don't correct or admonish members who use the word 'retard', simply because there are mentally disabled people in the world and you happen to know someone like this, congratulations, because you are on your way to being a Social Justice Warrior. They, too, want to suppress the speech of others, simply because they are offended.

Not good enough, Not even in the same zip code as good enough. If everyone in the world has to refrain from using any words that offend someone else, then we'll all have to become mute and eliminate written language as well.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
From time to time, I get complaints about posts in this forum that use the words retard or retarded. Do you know what I do about these posts? Not a Goddamned thing.

So are there any banned words on SF?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Yes

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
And so I never use the word myself out of respect for her and everyone else who is mentally retarded but who have equal dignity as those who are mentally sound. But again, free speech and America. . .do what you want.

But you just did, three times in your post Razz

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gues I'll have to continue/increase my use of the term Window Licker so as not to cause any offense.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Yes

I think I just hit one in another thread.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yes

Cantaloupe?

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I shit you not...

When retired from Norfolk Southern railway in 2011 there was an ongoing movement from upper management to change the term for the "retarder" (which controls the speed of rail cars rolling down the hump into the class yard) to something like "railcar speed manager" or "railcar speed reducer" or some such...because the word retard/retarded was, even back then, being termed offensive...it never caught on...it's still called the retarder...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retarder_(railroad)

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yes
The word 'cunt' is not prohibited in this forum. It's currently in the filter because I am trying to discourage its use to a degree. We were being just a bit too free with it. When you use the word 'cunt' in this forum, you'd better be sure that the person in question is deserving of it.

You'll notice that your post has been approved and now shows on the board, as was the post that you quoted.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yes
The word 'cunt' is not prohibited in this forum. It's currently in the filter because I am trying to discourage its use to a degree. We were being just a bit too free with it. When you use the word 'cunt' in this forum, you'd better be sure that the person in question is deserving of it.

I recall using it in a post about HRC; it stood for I assume this very reason. It is not a word I bandy about often either.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Retarded" became "mentally challenged", just as "handicapped" became "physically challenged". In any case, they all refer to people who don't have the normal functionality common to most people.

You can change the words, but you can't change the condition. The condition is what the problem really is, and as such, the words used to describe it will always be attacked.

It won't be long before "challenged" can't be used because it too is deemed offensive.

Look at words used to describe various races. The exact same thing. A word is commonly used to describe an ethnicity, is deemed offensive, is replaced with another commonly used word, which is found offensive, only to be replaced with yet another word.

The ethnicity never changes, the words always do, and will always be deemed offensive as time goes on.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
Evidently Mongoloid is also a word that you cannot say. My wife is a recently retired teacher who went through 30+ years of PC training. She is constantly telling me all the things that I can’t say. I have to say that it makes me feel like I’ve turned into Archie Bunker.

There are a bunch of things that we used to say regularly in South Louisiana in the 60s and 70s that irritate people now.

+

I played the DEVO album for wife. The album with the He's a Mongoloid." She made me turn turn down the stereo. (She works as an interruptor, lady across the street is a teacher, and the one three doors up is an elementary school principle - the school around the corner. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
This discussion reminds me of this bit from George Carlin.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Is fucktard still on the table?

Only if twatwaffle and shit-for-brains are acceptable.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31428 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not for banning words--free speech and all that. But I will say the use of the word "retard" as a derogatory comment about someone bothers me because I have a relative who is mentally retarded. I know the struggles she deals with and she can't help it. She was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck which cut off oxygen to her brain. And so I never use the word myself out of respect for her and everyone else who is mentally retarded but who have equal dignity as those who are mentally sound. But again, free speech and America. . .do what you want.
I think you fail, like many, to recognize the context when you allow feelings to drive your perspective. I've used the terms retard or retarded frequently to refer to people who are disingenuous, dishonest, and/or willfully ignorant. I have never, nor do I believe any of the membership here would ever, use either of those terms in any way to disparage those who are indeed mentally challenged.

We as a culture have become incredibly retarded when it comes to the use of words in general. Everyone is offended by everything any more. Everyone just needs to buck up and stop being such pussies. Hey there's another word that usually offends the perpetually offended. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post