SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The "R" word?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "R" word? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
I was watching uncut It's Always Sunny a few weeks ago, and they dropped two f-bombs in the episode, but when they had a flashback to the gang saying "retarded" they beeped it.

Speaking of "Bleeped" words....War movies on TV, the word "Jap" is bleeped, but not the word "Kraut" or "Heinie" or "Jerry".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Evidently Mongoloid is also a word that you cannot say. My wife is a recently retired teacher who went through 30+ years of PC training. She is constantly telling me all the things that I can’t say. I have to say that it makes me feel like I’ve turned into Archie Bunker.

There are a bunch of things that we used to say regularly in South Louisiana in the 60s and 70s that irritate people now.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Context matters, and it's only not cool to say it when referring to actual retarded people.

Retard, Fag, Nigger, whatever, they're all still enormously popular and normal to use in any damn way you please amongst friends as long as it's not actually hatefully aimed at those at those peoples from which the terms are sourced. PC wankers be damned, that ship has sailed, and we don't blame or ban words like we don't blame guns. Only fools do that.

And the whiners who say otherwise are just being retarded fags about it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
And the whiners who say otherwise are just being retarded fags about it.

Do you mean fagtards?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Retard or retarded are simply a couple of the 'unacceptable' words I use to offend and shock the morons around me. And when some millennial gets offended and tells me I can't use that word, my response is usually, "Don't be a retard". Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
"Retarded" became "mentally challenged", just as "handicapped" became "physically challenged". In any case, they all refer to people who don't have the normal functionality common to most people. The word "slow" has also been used to denote folks who are mentally challenged, and even "dumb" has been used that way (although technically it means one unable to speak).

All of this need for euphemisms has come about as the society gets more and more "pussified" with thinner skins. People get upset about names much more these days than they did when I was a kid, and it's not an improvement. Back then, an "attack" was an actual physical event--we had the "sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me" attitude (or, at least, our parents tried to instill that into their children). That has all gone the way of the Passenger Pigeon.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
I guess I'll just keep using the word.

Agree. Banning the word is just, well, retarded.

It's throwed off

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm finding it increasingly cumbersome to listen to or read a news article when littered with these "________ word" references. I guess I'm not "woke" enough to recognize and seamlessly insert the intended trigger word.

When I was a child, the only word that held such esteem was "the F word". I guess we can at least take comfort in knowing that the number of banned words must forever be limited to 26. Well, maybe not. They'll start the next series with "the R-E word".

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I use it frequently. It has nothing to do with someone with a mental disability. In fact, if you look it up in, it means nothing of the kind.

re·tard·ed
/rəˈtärdəd/Submit
adjective
DATED•OFFENSIVE
less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age.
INFORMAL•OFFENSIVE
very foolish or stupid.
"in retrospect, it was a totally retarded idea"

I will argue with anyone over usage, and if they strongly disagree based on emotions, guess what they get called?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Well I have been using the word for years when explaining pistol malfunctions caused by retarded slide velocity. Guess I will have to re-write my lesson plans now...

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
From time to time, I get complaints about posts in this forum that use the words retard or retarded. Do you know what I do about these posts? Not a Goddamned thing.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering what happens when there are more than one offensive words that begin with the same letter? Do we have to say "the original N word" or "the new and improved R word".

My son's teacher used to say "I have this one student that is MR" and MR would be whispered. It's ok to say "mentally retarded" when talking about a mentally retarded person. It's ok to call your friends retards. It's ok to insult someone when they make a stupid choice.

However, if you make fun of or abuse a retarded kid I'm going to put your face in the grass. Don't try me.

This 1984 word elimination garbage had got to stop. I'm not participating.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
What do they call the Mk 82 Snake Eye now? A mentally challenged bomb? Isn't that bad too? I mean how is it supposed to feel when loaded out next to a JDAM?? A JDAM is just a dumb bomb with white privilege when you think about it. If it wasn't for the stuff it's given, it'd be no better than the rest of the bombs.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
What do they call the Mk 82 Snake Eye now? A mentally challenged bomb? Isn't that bad too? I mean how is it supposed to feel when loaded out next to a JDAM?? A JDAM is just a dumb bomb with white privilege when you think about it. If it wasn't for the stuff it's given, it'd be no better than the rest of the bombs.

And think of the humiliation of them enemy that is killed by one...

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
So am I to either advance or un-advance my ignition timing?
Stupid people are the only ones that get upset about an adjective.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Are idjit and maroon still acceptable?

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ You can only say "idjit" if you're Irish, 'cause, y'know, then it's part of your culture. By the same token, you can only say "maroon" if you're a talking bunny rabbit from Brooklyn.

quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
PC is the only language that grows smaller over time.

Big Grin Ain't that the freakin' truth!! OTOH it seems to have made ethnolinguists of us all!!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

The Air Force Museum is in BIG trouble:

https://www.nationalmuseum.af....table-retarder-bomb/

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Eventually, our language will be reduced to eight words.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30547 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post