SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The "R" word?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "R" word? Login/Join 
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted
Really?

https://www.foxnews.com/entert...n-costume-the-r-word

I had to read through the entire article, and it wasn't until I got to the very end until I could figure out what this apparently hyper-triggering "R-word" was.

Short story: Retarded is now the new banned speech.

Welcome to 1984 gents.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4suc3j7jSkw

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not really anything new.

Folks have been getting offended over "retard"/"retarded" for several decades now.

Maybe even since 1984 itself.

(Come to think of it, that's the first non-curse word/non-racial slur that I can recall being told was a "bad word" back when I was a little kid. And that was well before the current wave of PC hysteria.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's been "banned" since last century. Nothing new. Have you noticed, they don't say mentally retarded anymore? Wink

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll just keep using the word.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 7 years back, my son was in the 7th grade.
The school wanted all the students to sign a "contract" stating that they would not use the "R" word ever.
When my son told me about it, I asked him what he did. He said he told his teacher that he wasn't old enough to sign a contract. (bless his heart)
By the way, my son had taken one of the special needs kids under his wing throughout middle school. He still sees him occasionally.

Posts: 212 | Location: Michigan | Registered: October 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
I guess I'll just keep using the word.

Agree. Banning the word is just, well, retarded.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
OK guys, yeah, I know people have been getting offended by "retarded" for a while now.

Even though the word is, well....correct.

I was just amazed that is has been elevated to a NEWSPEAK Prohibited Word.

Now you can not even repeat what someone said years ago, but have to use "The R Word?"

I mean, it's not like a retarded person could get offended by this post, right?

Sorry, but I am not cool with this slow, stealthy "banning" of words.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Anyone who uses the word "retarded" is committing a crime against the English language - by retarding our progress in coming up with new, and eventually just as insensitive, euphemisms for the word "retarded".

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4suc3j7jSkw

I was expecting:

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
What will we spray fires w/? Fire ________ant?

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PC is the only language that grows smaller over time.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Is fucktard still on the table? Because I know lots of them and several developmentally challenges folks and trust me I will take those folks 20:1 over the fucktards.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
The offended choose a new word because it doesn't have a negative connotation. Problem is, the new word will become tainted with time, so they'll have to keep coming up with new euphemisms.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Is fucktard still on the table? Because I know lots of them and several developmentally challenges folks and trust me I will take those folks 20:1 over the fucktards.

Fire Fucktardant! I like it.

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Due to low octane fuels everyone's, including the lefts, car engine management system retards the timing to control knock. All day long as they drive they retard and advance, retard and advance.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Libtard must be doubly offensive now.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
After the R word will be the Q word, B word, D word, ... you get the idea. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, retarded has been a no-no for some time. I still say it, but then, I'm about as non-PC as one can get. And, quite frankly, I don't really care.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I was watching uncut It's Always Sunny a few weeks ago, and they dropped two f-bombs in the episode, but when they had a flashback to the gang saying "retarded" they beeped it.

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post