SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    4.4 Earthquake
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4.4 Earthquake Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
We just had a 4.4 earthquake. That was exciting. We're not in whackyland, it's Oklahoma, but it was exciting.

Anybody else feel it?

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I didn't feel a thing. Of course, I'm in Colorado. Big Grin I would like to feel one sometime as long as it doesn't damage my house.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
I didn't feel a thing. Of course, I'm in Colorado. Big Grin I would like to feel one sometime as long as it doesn't damage my house.

I found there are four phases of earthquake realization. With the first few shakes you wonder if this an earthquake. A few more shakes you know it is an earthquake. When it keeps shaking you wonder "is this the BIG one". I have never been through the fourth phase where you no longer have to wonder if CA just fell into the Pacific as you reach for your snorkel gear. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
...I would like to feel one sometime as long as it doesn't damage my house.

Don't count on that...We had a 3.8 here some years back and strange cracks started appearing. We're on a slab (1st floor apartment), a crack started and now is like a low curb in the living room. Landlord doesn't care. The problem? I did a couple Radon tests, the second one showed a 4.0 which is the basic reading for which they recommend remediation, and he still doesn't care. I know the risks are still small and eventually we'll GTFO, but thank God we don't own the place!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
We had a 5.8 quake the 6th of July that shook us for about THIRTY seconds. Five minutes later a quick 4.4 shake, then a series of aftershocks in the 2.5-3.0 area off and on for several hours.

It IS a strange sensation isn't it?

I was surprised by the NOISE it made.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I didn't feel it here in ICT. But, take that with a grain of salt. Of all the ones we've had in the past few years, I've only felt 2 or 3 while others have felt more.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
when we had ours a few years ago, my first thought was, what the HELL did they just blow up at Quantico?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
That was a pretty stout one, Gene. I live in Edmond, which is 3.4 miles from the center. Pretty crazy.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
We had a pretty small one here in CT a couple years ago.
It was very weird to feel the building at work vibrating and swaying a bit.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Slept right thru it. Didn't know we had one until everyone at work was talking about it the next morning.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Had a 5.4 hit at 5:30am in Columbus IN, back in 2008... That may not be much for CA folks, but I can assure you, it gets your attention in the Midwest. Was selling a home at the time, and very glad no damage occurred.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
That one shook my house pretty good!

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post