SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Share some of your local culinary favorites
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Share some of your local culinary favorites Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
It could be regional, state, something within your family, etc. Even a favorite local establishment may offer something that sticks out to you.

Here is some freshly roasted New Mexican green chile (photos taken during peeling in the Fall chile season). Specifically, these are the Big Jim variety. They are famous for being HUGE, with lots of meat, and medium heat level with a bit of sweetness (like me). Good on/in everything, but especially pizza, cheeseburgers, meatloaf, pasta, stews, etc. Those pictured below were subdivided into smaller portions, vacuum sealed, and frozen for use the rest of the year. I had about 8 trays like this one.
I also sent some back east for the family.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cold water walleye out of Chautauqua Lake. My BIL is a ice fisherman and catches the most delicious fish I have ever had. Invites use up for to die for fish dinners a couple times over the winter.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Same as the OP, but Pueblo chilis. No doubt the specialty of the area.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pasties. And Cudighi.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Sorry i dont have pics of the Dogs the yserve but here is a link to my Favorite hot dog joint

https://www.fortwaynesfamousconeyisland.com/

Posts: 1601 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We roasted, peeled, vacuum sealed and froze several packages of green Chili’s from the garden over the summer and fall.

We cook with them often.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Oklahoma Onion Burger.

Best burger ever.

It's been around since the Great Depression.

It was invented as a way to stretch the meat, save cost, and add a bit more volume to the size of the patty.

The critical thing is that the onion must be sliced very thin, and I mean thin. Not quite paper thin.

The onions are put down first and the cooking process started, the the burger meat is smashed down onto the grill to cover the onions.

Many people and places claim to cook an Oklahoma Onion Burger but they don't do it well, again the key is to have the onions sliced super thin.

If you're ever going through Oklahoma on I-40, stop in El Reno (25 miles west of OKC). There are several places open that have been in business and serving OOB's for many many decades and they do them right. Sid's Onion Burgers, established in the 1930's, is arguably the best.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Place up in Springs called Crave used to serve an onion burger. Served it with this super rich French onion soup as a dip. Holy cow that was the best burger I ever had. Of course it was discontinued.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
And Cudighi.

A whoduhwhati?

quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Oklahoma Onion Burger.

Best burger ever.

It's been around since the Great Depression.

It was invented as a way to stretch the meat, save cost, and add a bit more volume to the size of the patty.

The critical thing is that the onion must be sliced very thin, and I mean thin. Not quite paper thin.

The onions are put down first and the cooking process started, the the burger meat is smashed down onto the grill to cover the onions.

Many people and places claim to cook an Oklahoma Onion Burger but they don't do it well, again the key is to have the onions sliced super thin.

If you're ever going through Oklahoma on I-40, stop in El Reno (25 miles west of OKC). There are several places open that have been in business and serving OOB's for many many decades and they do them right. Sid's Onion Burgers, established in the 1930's, is arguably the best.

I make smashburgers on my griddle often, so I'll have to try this. It sounds amazing. I can get the onions super thin with a mandolin slicer.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Fried Mullet. Mullet netted in the Pensacola area have white meat; not the gray, greasy shit. They say this is because of the sandy bay bottoms. Had some for lunch at the Coffee Cup Friday. Yum.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Primantis Bros sandwiches. Born in the depression to serve truck drivers.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pizza, specifically New Haven style pizza. It is widely considered the best pizza in the country. I have the 3 top pizzarias in the country within a 15 minute drive.
If you’re ever in the area try either sally’s, modern, or Pepe’s you won’t be disappointed

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Softshell Crab Poboy from Atlanta Highway Seafood Market

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34114 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Meatloaf (beef, pork and veal), mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, apple pie with slice of sharp cheddar cheese.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Fried Mullet. Mullet netted in the Pensacola area have white meat; not the gray, greasy shit. They say this is because of the sandy bay bottoms. Had some for lunch at the Coffee Cup Friday. Yum.

Try getting into Chet's around lunchtime! Lines out to the road every day.

Used to be anyway when I last was living and working on Navy Blvd. That was 10 years ago though.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Grew up in SoFla and only the poor folks ate mullet there. Never would have thought it was a delicacy somewhere. Very cool.

Local delicacy in (Eastern) NC is of course pork BBQ with spicy vinegar-based "sauce".

My parents are from Detroit (I was born there but moved to FL when I was 3) used to talk about driving to (Hamtramck) for paczki ("push-key" or "poonch-key" which is plural) - jelly-filled pastries Fat Tuesday aka Mardi Gras is called Paczki Day in Detroit. Ive never had one but they are supposed to be amazing.

quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

NOBODY makes brisket better than Texas.... just a fact! Cool

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
In Wisconsin it all about the speciality cheese makers. Here are 2 of my favorite. My grandfather was a cheese maker many decades ago.

Saxon Creamery.

Widmer’s Cheese

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
California burrito. Originated in San Diego and still pretty exclusive to the area.

Oh and the curds n gravy when I was in Madison Wisconsin - da bomb!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post