SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US is woefully ill-prepared for future battles...in EW
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US is woefully ill-prepared for future battles...in EW Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The sky is falling................AGAIN!

Where did you get that perception from? People are saying we don’t hold the upper hand in certain capabilities on the battlefield. That’s just a fact. Are we working on the problem. You bet. That fact doesn’t mean anything more than that.

Extrapolating on other possibilities on what could happen under certain circumstances is nothing more than considering possibilities. I doubt anyone here is losing sleep over any of this. Hopefully someone in some 3 letter agency thinks outside the box thinking about it.

Do you think Putin considers the US a necessary evil?

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah, I'm sure we have nobody working on that, and if we did it would be front page news, telling everyone exactly what we have.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Rhino you're right again. We don't have anybody close to smart enough to figure this whole computer thingy out. THE.SKY.IS.FALLING!

While I am certainly no chicken little and have no doubt we have TOP people working on this my point is once again we are behind the 8 ball.

We always work our way out.....sometimes it is rather painful

What makes you think we're behind the 8 ball? No news articles saying how good we are? We're doing pretty well. I know we'll be fine.

Well, we’re already working on it.
http://www.navair.navy.mil/ind...47-B84B-33A830FE41BA

We don’t have all the smart people in the world either. Other countries do too. For every advance we make they will make another. And the cycle will continue. EW probably isn’t the only area of concern either. The strain for resources is immense from what I can tell. Not just money either.
Retirements in the defense industry has had an impact on people resources.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

All the experts on US EW capability cringe when the latest toy is unveiled to the public.

Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
The place I retired from wasn't called SPAWARS for nothing.
People just don't have the need to know.
Just sayin'.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Sky is falling? No.

Do we (we being the entirety of NATO, including the US), need to get our heads out of our asses? Yes.

There's nothing he's talking about that we don't have the technology to deal with. But are we willing to spend the money, do the work, an then maintain what we build for the long run, not knowing when, or even if, the systems will ever be used. Of course their very existence acts as a deterrent.

And a lot of this goes back to how much the Europeans are willing to spend. They should really be building an integrated mobile air defense system throughout Germany and the Eastern European NATO member countries. They should build prepositioned bases ready to accept aircraft from Western Europe and the US. And in general, just realize that Russia could get in their face again at any moment.

BTW, based on what this guy's saying, you know who has this all figured out? Has the equipment, tactics, training all set up, and that we could adopt at will (because we essentially paid for it)? The Israelis.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The sky is falling................AGAIN!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
^
So do nothing, especially when we know we have a problem? Roll Eyes

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
^
You can prepare without panicking or declaring that the sky falling, and just because my post was after yours doesn't mean it was directed at you.

Besides, it's no longer amateur hour in the White House so no running to the press to give away our preparation.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Who said anything about panicking? It's more about not sticking our head in the sand. For a long time the US military had been more in a mode of dealing with third world insurgencies, and not being prepared to fight major powers. Now we have at least two major powers that are looking to challenge us.

One of those has given us a complete demonstration of their strategies, capabilities, strengths and weaknesses. Should we NOT make use of this, and develop our own capabilities to counter them. And, BTW, whatever Russia is doing, China is also likely to do also, plus some tricks of their own.

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
^
You can prepare without panicking or declaring that the sky falling, and just because my post was after yours doesn't mean it was directed at you.

Besides, it's no longer amateur hour in the White House so no running to the press to give away our preparation.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who said anything about panicking? It's more about not sticking our head in the sand.
Frankly, you did by commenting back on my “everybody panic” animated gif. Further, you must’ve cranked up your inner IndyFFL to 11 to read between the lines and come up the ludicrous assertion that I meant stick your head in the sand.

Like I said before your 2nd reply to me “it's no longer amateur hour in the White House so no running to the press to give away our preparation.” My opinion isn’t swayed by a YouTube video and remain confident Mad Dog is preparing our forces to fight to win on all fronts.

posted Hide Post
I think we're more ill prepared for a long war, with 1/2 of our strategic industrial base off shore. But China has it's problems too, such as desperately acquiring advanced digital processing capabilities (as per the ZTE debacle - embargo).

The next major war will start with modern crap, but will degenerate in to late WW2 type technology - although I do not even think we make vacuum tubes in this country any more either.

EW is crucial, but if your industrial base is significantly off-shored, EW is the last of you worries.

Getting in to a fight with a tier 1 adversary is a lot different from the tier 3 and below advisory we've been patting our backs on beating up.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post