SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's getting worse for USA gymnastics, athletes paid hush money
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's getting worse for USA gymnastics, athletes paid hush money Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Totally disgusting. I'm not sue which I find more repulsive, the abuse by the coach or the coverup by USA Gymnastics.

https://www.newsandguts.com/go...n-stay-silent-abuse/

Gold Medalist McKayla Maroney Paid $1.25 Million To Stay Silent On Abuse
By News & Guts

It is one of the most popular and highly rated sports of the Olympic games. But now we have to ask the unthinkable. Will USA Gymnastics survive? Something has to change and fast after horrific new assertions were revealed about Olympic gold medalist McKayla Maroney. According to court records, Maroney, one of the most famous Olympians of modern times, was paid $1.25 million in a settlement with USA Gymnastics, the governing body of the sport, to stay silent after suffering years of sexual abuse by Dr. Larry Nassar. If you haven’t followed this sordid saga, Nassar was recently convicted of sexually abusing several athletes (not Maroney) while he was team physician for USA gymnastics and Michigan State University. But his recent conviction is only the beginning. He’s been accused of assaulting more than 140 additional girls, according to lawsuits.

But no one knew the extent of Maroney’s claims until court filings just obtained by The Wall Street Journal . Those records show USA Gymnastics paid Maroney to keep quiet about her abuse. The details of the agreement came to light because the retired gymnast is suing the organization claiming the confidentiality agreement she signed was illegal in California because it involved child sex abuse. And, she claims, she was forced to enter into the agreement to help pay for her own psychological treatment. Maroney says she endured repeated attacks from Nassar for five years while training for the Olympic games.

McKayla Maroney won the hearts of millions of admirers at the 2012 Olympic games in London where she led the women’s team to gold in gymnastics. But now the organization is in turmoil. Corporate sponsors have already begun dropping USA Gymnastics. Larry Nassar will spend at least the next 20 years in prison. His story didn’t come to light until an investigation by The Indianapolis Star in 2016 that found 368 gymnasts had alleged sexual abuse over the past 20 years. And no one knew? That’s just one of the questions for USA gymnastics. Others are, can it survive? Should it survive?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11764 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
My daughter is a former USGA gymnast and this sickens me.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Child molesters, and all their enablers, need to be executed by firing squad.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
When you have 2-3 athletes abused it's a serious issue

When you have 5-10 abused it is a major problem

When you have 368 abused over 20 years it is systemic and goes to the core of the program. That puts everyone in the leadership at that time squarely in the cross hairs. IMHO, if you knew and didn't bring this to light for criminal prosecution, you as guilty as Dr. Nassar.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
368 complaints from gymnasts over 20 years is horrifically absurd if true. One is bad, ten is a big deal, 100 would seem crazy, but 368, over 20 fucking years? Are you shitting me? Heads should roll over this, to include every human involved.

368?

WTF

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

How about Flame thrower. Takes care of disposal at the same time.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30403 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
USA Olympic Team - burn it all down.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
When you have 2-3 athletes abused it's a serious issue

When you have 5-10 abused it is a major problem

When you have 368 abused over 20 years it is systemic and goes to the core of the program. That puts everyone in the leadership at that time squarely in the cross hairs. IMHO, if you knew and didn't bring this to light for criminal prosecution, you as guilty as Dr. Nassar.
One. Just one is too many. If there are offenses that merit zero tolerance, this has to be at the head of the list.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
While nothing has been said and they have always had a great reputation, as close as the girls got to Béla and Márta Károlyi one wonders how much if any they knew about all this.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Could they have picked a creepier picture for the story? Looks like she has a black eye.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3447 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
My girl just had a USAG meet in Emerson Ga last weekend.
What a filthy, disgusting, cluster fuck for an organization
that serves so many young female athletes so well.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Larry Nassar will spend at least the next 20 years six months in prison before he is beaten to death with a mop handle

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

How about Flame thrower. Takes care of disposal at the same time.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
When an organization becomes so corrupt as this one, nothing can be done to "fix it".

Destroy the whole thing, and maybe start over with some oversight. One has to wonder if the sport can ever overcome this situation.

OTOH, one must be careful of over reacting and punishing innocents.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
With this many victims, where were their mothers?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

What in the world does that have to do with this? We aren't going to blame the parents for this are we?

While some/many of them may have noticed a difference in behavior, it's entirely possible the perps were good enough to use the incredible drive and desire to participate of their victims against them in creating fear of reprisal or being shunned from further competition if they told others.

Reference "Catholic Church sexual abuse."

Of course if the mom(s) went along with the keep quiet model in part for the money after being aware, that is pretty inexplicable. A tough spot to be in and they too might have been in fear of their daughters' futures both in and out of the sport.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is nothing inherently nefarious about a confidential settlement--it would have made perfect sense for Maroney to have wanted it that way. The real story is what USA Gymnastics did, or didn't do, with all of these reports.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I guess i’m not as callous as I think I am. My heart breaks remembering I enjoyed watching those girl gymnastics from time to time and now realizing there was rampant and systemic sexual abuse. For me, it’s the equivalent of organized child trafficking rings with child and parent victims.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Make them targets in the Winter Olympics Biathlon competition.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
When an organization becomes so corrupt as this one, nothing can be done to "fix it".

Destroy the whole thing, and maybe start over with some oversight. One has to wonder if the sport can ever overcome this situation.

OTOH, one must be careful of over reacting and punishing innocents.[/QUOTE

The sport of women's gymnastics is much bigger than this
scandal. It will survive and continue to thrive.
Will USAG survive?
We shall see.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

What in the world does that have to do with this? We aren't going to blame the parents for this are we?

I imagine that much of the “abuse” occurred in the course of medical treatments, exams, etc. My understanding is that when a male physician is treating a female patient, another female is always present. I imagine that in the case of young patients, that likely would include mothers of the patient, and female nurses in all occasions.

What exactly is the abuse? Touching? Penetration?

The women I have known who were mothers would have been fairly attentive, and if this abuse is of a character to merit $1 million of psychological treatment, they would have noticed and spoken up, regardless of the stakes. I also imagine that mothers and daughters talk.

It strikes me as odd that this went on over many, many years and hundreds of victims before discovery.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post