SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Data recovery from a damaged Android phone
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Data recovery from a damaged Android phone Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
S-I-L bent his Android phone damaging the case but not enough to crack the screen. This being said he is unable to get it to power up. He attempted to change a board to his phone from another working identical phone to no avail.

He replaced the phone but there are some photos in there that he wants to retrieve. Newborn son, etc. He and I stopped at Best Buy and was told that they would send it out to a data recovery facility and it would run in the area of $500.00

That seems a bit steep to me. Does anybody have any suggestions or have actually used one of these services? And as another question am I being unreasonable to believe this can be done more economically?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8096 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Have you tried connecting to a computer via a usb cable?

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I do not know, I'll have to ask him tomorrow. Hi did say that it would not power up or charge.

I'm pretty ignorant on these things.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8096 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Any chance this data is on a SIM card? If not perhaps the memory card can be removed and installed in another phone? I’m not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, by the way, I’m just throwing ideas out there.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
some save to a cloud account (on google usually). Some save to a memory card inserted in the phone - which may be ok and could be inserted into a new phone or computer.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
What type of Android phone? Some have removable memory, some have built in wireless charging, some have manufacturer serviced cloud backup...

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post