SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Intestinal Surgery on 5/23 - update pg 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intestinal Surgery on 5/23 - update pg 2 Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
I've had Crohn's disease for my whole life, and had to have an emergency bowel resection just before 7th grade due to a scarred region in my intestines causing a blockage. The doctor and surgeon said it was the worst case of pediatric Crohn's scarring they'd ever seen. But after that surgery's success and my only affected area gone, the doctor predicted at least 10 years of health, flare-free. I made it nearly 18 years without sign or symptom! but the flares were there, and scarring my gut back up while I was on drugs that never worked for Crohn's or off them completely.

I'm on Remicade infusions now, and everything points to the drugs working now and a long-term prognosis is great, if it weren't for the scar tissue I have already; so I'm back to needing another resection - this time a much smaller section of the same type of scarring from Crohn's flares.

The surgery is on Thursday, but I'm starting the prep work today. WooHoo!! Roll Eyes

To me, the prep for most of my tests and stuff is worse than the actual procedure. Of course recovery from this will suck, too, but at least I won't have to drink this gunk after the surgery!!! Big Grin

Prayers and well-wishes would be much appreciated. I'm sure I'll do fine - my wife is very worried, though, and I don't know that my kids know what to think. Thank you all, though. I love this community and appreciate and enjoy my time on the forum - of which, I'll have quite a bit more during the 6-8 weeks of recovery!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PorterN,

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Sending prayers your way as I write this reply..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good thoughts and well wishes coming your way Mr PorterN. I'm about 30 minutes north of you. Don't hesitate to ask for any help.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Will do.

Hope you get a new CUT after the last cut on yer old gut.

(been down this road with my little brother who endured 8 surgeries from days after he was born and before he was as many years old.)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Luck
Hopefully this is the last one.
I have had one friend and one co-worker go through this and they said the cleansing drink was the worst.

Even told me it was worse than some of the old $5 a fifth swill we use to guzzle before we became refined and could afford Old Grandad, Old Crow etc..

Come this weekend if you get bored or restless, I start my 2100 to 0700 shift at the M.E. Office from Friday to friday. Feel free to give me a shout

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Good luck Porter.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Good Luck, Brother. I was a member of the "Brown bag club" after my bowel resection due to diverticulitis in 2010. Not a lot of fun. Will you need a colostomy bag?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you. Please keep us updated.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best wishes; I trust all will go well.
s.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine is dealing with complications of intestinal surgery, I know what you're going through. Hang in there, positive thoughts.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
good luck and best wishes for an outstanding outcome

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Good Luck, Brother. I was a member of the "Brown bag club" after my bowel resection due to diverticulitis in 2010. Not a lot of fun. Will you need a colostomy bag?

I shouldnt need one unless the in-hospital recovery week shows something wrong with how my gut is healing. I didnt have one as a kid.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Good luck and hope for speedy and full recovery. I had major surgery small intestine resection in 2013 to remove blockage that was a tumor at age 61. It went well but worst part was waiting to make sure all the plumbing was working as it should be again, the very numerous trips to the bathroom all day and all night, and I could not eat any solids for first couple days, with first meal being a Popsicle. The "on demand" push button IV pain med drip was pretty cool though. Be sure to bring along plenty of stuff to keep you occupied during recovery including chargers and cords for electronic devices.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Prayers for the best possible outcome on your surgery with a quick and full healing...hang in there!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I hope you power right through! Smile

And that the surgery and recovery go well.

Good luck.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
The "on demand" push button IV pain med drip was pretty cool though.

OH - they're giving me the option of an epidural or the push-button narcotics.

I don't really know what to pick.

posted Hide Post
Go push button. I loved watching the juice come down the tube. And best wishes.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Here's hoping everything turns out well PorterN .

My son has also had Crohn's most of his life. He had to have several centimeters of his intestine removed. It was in 2010 and he has been doing well enough since. I'm sure he has issues but not the debilitating pain as before. He is injecting Humera now and it seems to be working.

What a rough road to travel. I've seen him doubled over from the pain and it breaks a parents heart to see their children suffer so.

I'm sending my strongest good vibes your way. Be well!

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
My 13 yr old daughter was diagnosed with Crohns, she lost 20% of her body weight, was anemic, ate very little. After pediatric Drs failing to diagnose the disease she ended up in a Children's Hospital. She is on remicade infusions and doing well.

Prayers for a speedy recovery.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post