SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LA Times: Want to stop gun violence now? Regulate bullets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LA Times: Want to stop gun violence now? Regulate bullets Login/Join 
posted
LA Times article

http://www.latimes.com/opinion...-20180326-story.html

By Robert Muggah

Gunfire kills or injures at least 127 Americans a day. While the gun debate in the U.S. rages around the question of regulating firearms, it's the bullets that do the damage.

Depending on their weight, velocity and trajectory, bullets can puncture tissue, shatter bones and leave gaping exit wounds. But despite their destructive power, bullets are as easy to purchase as Band-Aids. In most states, large retailers like Walmart sell them in bulk. Thousands of bullets can also be bought online, no questions asked.

Chris Rock famously joked that America doesn't need gun control; it needs "bullet control." Rock has a point. If we regulated ammunition, fewer Americans would be killed or injured by gun violence.

Nearly two-thirds of Americans are in favor of universal checks for ammunition buyers. At least 60% support bans on high-capacity magazines and strict limits on the amount of ammunition that can be purchased. Yet bullets are not subject to the same federal controls as firearms.

They should be.

It is difficult to pinpoint the scale of the domestic ammunition industry because of the lack of official oversight, but Wired reported in 2013 that roughly 10 billion rounds are produced in the U.S. every year, or about 32 rounds for every American citizen.

Because bullets are so widely available, people often wonder whether ammunition can be regulated at all. The answer is yes.

Most regulatory efforts today focus only on restricting access to guns, but this was not always the case. The Gun Control Act of 1968 required all retailers to log ammunition sales and prohibited all mail-order purchases. (The restrictions were lifted two decades later by President Reagan's Firearms Owners Protection Act.)

Not only would it be possible to implement similar regulations today, but it also would be easier to carry them out.

A good place to start is the factories where bullets are manufactured. Strict control on the production and sale of unusually dangerous ammunition would be straightforward, since such sales can now be monitored digitally.

It's also cheaper than ever to mark and trace bullets with microscopic codes or serial numbers, which help law enforcement solve gun-related crimes. This data can be registered with the buyer's personal information at the time of purchase.

What's more, there are far fewer producers of ammunition than there are producers of firearms, according to Small Arms Analytics, a research firm. This makes the ammunition industry easier to regulate.

The U.S. imports ammunition from more than 30 countries. Russia is the top exporter of ammunition to the U.S., according to Small Arms Analytics. Between 2012 and 2017, Russia supplied Americans with more than 4.7 billion rounds. Mexican companies supplied an additional 2.2 billion rounds during the same period. These and other foreign suppliers can be taxed. Doing so will probably encourage more ammunition production in the U.S., which would be more easily subject to regulation.

At a minimum, state governments and retailers should introduce simple background checks on ammunition sales. At least six states have already taken this step. California and New York require point-of-sale checks, while Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts and New Jersey require licenses or permits to purchase or possess bullets.

States can also raise the age limit for buying bullets and require that vendors obtain a license to sell ammunition and keep better records of their sales. Beginning in 2019, California will require ammunition vendors to report bullet sales to the state's Department of Justice. New York and New Jersey already have similar rules in place.

As the gun debate continues to rage in circles and a "mass shooting generation" marches for change, lawmakers should move forward where they can. The strongest case for ammunition regulation is that a majority of Americans already support it.

Robert Muggah is a co-founder of the Igarapé Institute, headquartered in Rio de Janeiro, and a co-director of the SecDev Group in Ottawa.

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
The strongest case for ammunition regulation is that a majority of Americans already support it.

there's a burst of logic

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:

Gunfire kills or injures at least 127 Americans a day.

Annnd right there is where I stopped reading.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's also cheaper than ever to mark and trace bullets with microscopic codes or serial numbers, which help law enforcement solve gun-related crimes. This data can be registered with the buyer's personal information at the time of purchase.
Do tell, I'm listening...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Robert Muggah is a co-founder of the Igarapé Institute, headquartered in Rio de Janeiro, and a co-director of the SecDev Group in Ottawa.

Why should I give two fucks what someone like this says? Not even a citizen

https://igarape.org.br/en/robert-muggah/

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conveniently there is none technology yet that can meet the state of CA dual micro stamping.

God this clown has a hard on for regulating everything else though.

Fuck it. Let’s just ban it ALL. I mean it’s how we keep drugs out of prison and everything right ?

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Great. Another run on powder and primers. Roll Eyes

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah because these mass murderers care if they get caught.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
This article makes me feel bad for "guilting" SGAmmo into sending me a free t-shirt last week. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Any way to cut up the cake, huh? Frown

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a whiff of those statistics as they went by.

I know where they came from.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spieler
posted Hide Post
This has been argued in the past, but I fear in today's climate it may get some traction as it gives the politicians an easier "out" than tighter gun controls per se.

quote:
Wired reported in 2013 that roughly 10 billion rounds are produced in the U.S. every year, or about 32 rounds for every American citizen.

This figures conveniently omits how many billions go to the U.S. military and law enforcement agencies.

quote:
Strict control on the production and sale of unusually dangerous ammunition

What the hell is "unusually dangerous ammunition"? Yeah, leave that to the pols to define!

Posts: 2433 | Location: ATL South OTP | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . .What's more, there are far fewer producers of ammunition than there are producers of firearms, according to Small Arms Analytics, a research firm. This makes the ammunition industry easier to regulate.. . .

But it is much easier to make your own ammo than to make your own firearm.

So we outlaw violence, but violence still happens. We outlaw using guns for violence, but criminals still use guns. So pass laws to regulate ammo, and those with violent intentions will be thwarted as they won't be able to get bullets???

I have an idea that may work. Lets outlaw the consumption of oxygen. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
This article makes me feel bad for "guilting" SGAmmo into sending me a free t-shirt last week. Wink

Ah crud, I should have hit Sam up for a free-t shirt back in my Ammoholic days before the GDC PRK online ammo purchase ban. With the rate I was buying ammo, I doubt he would have blinked. Sigh...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
What is an "unusually" dangerous bullet?

Black Talon redux.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:

Gunfire kills or injures at least 127 Americans a day.

Annnd right there is where I stopped reading.

Yup!!

I finally figured out (I think) what such morons do with their brains. Use them to keep their head from caving in.

Good thing there is no exam for a breathing permit.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I guess the fools at the LA Times have their heads to far up their asses to tell this guy to worry about his own shithole country.

"Brazil saw nearly 60,000 murders in 2015, as many as the United States, China, all of Europe, Northern Africa, Japan, Indonesia, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand combined."

http://metrocosm.com/homicides-brazil-vs-world/

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Amazing! Sheer genius! Nobody has EVER thought of this before! Eek

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
What is an "unusually" dangerous bullet?

Black Talon redux.

Fully semi-automatic ammunition.

It's got what plants crave... It's got electrolytes!

No, wait. That's Tide Pods.

Um.... that's not it.

Damn.

I'm gonna go eat paste.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And here we go.......

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post