SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Holes in clothes from washer agitator?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holes in clothes from washer agitator? Login/Join 
posted
Hi all, over the last couple of years we have noticed small holes showing up in our clothes, mostly t-shirts and other light items.

I have a whirlpool top load washer that is about 10 years old with an agitator, after looking into it on the web it appears a lot of people have this issue.

My question is this; is there any way to correct the problem?, otherwise the matching washer and dryer work and work well

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
It's like my grandmother used to say, "Darn those socks!"

I'm just curious, what kind of soap/detergent/pods/etc do you use? Do you do the 'less is more' approach, or not? Could you be overloading your washing machine, perhaps? How long does your washing cycle run? Do you have any adjustments or settings to make it a less intensive wash? I'm just throwing out some ideas. If it helps (why would it) I too, use a 10 year old Whirlpool, and have none of your problems as you describe them.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife may overload it, when i wash i try not to. We use arm& hammer or tide or all free and clear, which ever has a sell going on. Bleach the whites and oxi clean as needed.
I know over loading can cause issues as well as underloaded, i try to have consistent loads.
It does have a gental cycle, however i used this machine for 5+ years before i met the wife and never had this issue.

posted Hide Post
Are you sure it's the washer? I say this because my dryer started to eat my clothes just before it went out.

The dryer tub was letting the clothes get between the moving tub and the dryer door housing.

If the dryer is making a slight scraping sound, that might be your problem.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Make sure you put the soap in first and mix it up and then add the clothes.

If the soap is still concentrated, it will get on the clothes and eat holes.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Battery acid will also do that. Move an old battery? Throw clothes in the hamper? Suddenly they get small holes in them.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its mostly under shirts so don't think its batt acid, could be the soap, however the way i usually add it is taking the cap with soap in it and washing it out by the water coming in at the start of the load

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I blame mine on my wife's bra strap hooks, been so long I have no evidence it isn't.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Detergent will not holes in your clothes. And you should load detergent then clothes then start the machine to fill. Dissolving your detergent first and then pushing the clothes into the water goes back to the days of wringer washers and soap flakes.

Holes generally come from chemical action, bleach usually but acids can do it as well. I honestly don't think your washer is the culprit.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... We sometimes get small holes in our clothes. I wonder if it's the washer or dryer?

At first we thought it was the cats, but they denied it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom had this issue and it turned out that the dryer had a burr in it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So here's my theory:
If it's not a burr in either the washer or dryer it may be brass/metal zipper pulls causing the holes. I de-horned the corners of all the zipper pulls on my shorts. So far, so good. Gonna do same with all zipper pulls with sharp edges.

To all Veterans: your sacrifices are not forgotten. Your sacrifices are honored. Welcome home. For those not home yet, please know that many of us pray for your safe return soon.

Posts: 587 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: September 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!
I have the same problem, but I thought it was me cramming all my tee shirts in the drawer and pinching the top ones when I closed the drawer!!
We hang out our clothes (when prudent) so its not the dryer.
Why doesn't this happen to any other garments?? (dress shirts, wife's' blouses, dress pants)
This thread will be one I'll follow.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
We had the same problem. Was the washer. Turns out the agitator (the thing in the middle of the tub) was loose. You could move it up and down. Removed the bolt in the center of the agitator and cleaned underneath and added a washer under the bolt. Agitator is tight again and no more holes.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
If it's just the undershirts, my guess would be the bleach. Too much of it will do that.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Not sure what is causing your problem but I will say this. Since switching to no agitator front load washers about 15 years ago I have noticed that my clothes last a lot longer without the wear and tear of the agitator.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its not just whites, but it is mostly t shirt materials.
Agitator is a little loose, when i get home Friday I'll pull it apart and inspect it and reinstall, see if it can be tightned up a bit.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit lazy in the laundry department. So I routinely over load the washing machine. Holes are common when I have done this. Lighten the load and your problem should disappear.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have a top loading Hotpoint and I got holes...like pencil size diameter..when I loaded the clothes and water and then the powdered Tide last.

Now I add the soap to the water as it fills and stir it up and then add the clothes. No more problems.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post