SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jeep jk has pin hole on tie rod end
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jeep jk has pin hole on tie rod end Login/Join 
posted
After some time I kept noticing that the passenger side of the tie rod is always wet. I usually dismissed it as excess grease.

But then I decided to pump some grease and see. Damnit, it has a tiny hole where it seeps out. How bad should it worry ? I currently the Lucas Xtra duty green grease.

Some folks tell me that not to worry. Just keep it greased every few months. ANyways, ordered new boots but will take time to arrive.

Posts: 809 | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I would not worry about it at all. Just grease it when you oil change and call it a day.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

Yep.

Grease is oil mixed with soap to provide adequate "cling" for the period between lubes for the parts lubrication needs.

The boots on ball joints are to help prevent washout and dirt from being introduced into the grease and resulting in wear. (many parts have no extra protection, but are lubed more frequently).

Many boots will "give" and excess/old grease will be forced out during lube jobs.

As long as the joint is not run dry, you will be fine.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A pinhole in a boot is nothing. I wouldn't even mess with it. But if you must, the wrong technique to separate the tie rod from the steering arm will do more harm than good.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cool, I guess you guys reinforced what I was thinking. It is wet around the edge of the boot but I can tell there's green grease inside.

Glad is the tie rod and not the draglink which does more movement. I know that when it goes on rain or floods I will need to pump grease couple times just to make sure is not too diluted.

Funny that my JK does seems more sensible when it comes to boots compared to my rav4 which is not greaseable.

anyways thanks

Posts: 809 | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
The Jeep was designed for the army. Lots of soldiers with time on their hands to do minor maintenance like greasing. The places it went and will go greatly exceed the places the Rav4 is capable of. The Rav4 is replaceable, so if it fails, just buy another.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post