SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking at work trucks
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at work trucks Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
My current truck is a 2000 GMC 2500. Awesome vehicle. Still runs great. I'm going to try to get one more season out of it but I started looking at what's available and I'm not finding what I want.

Apparently, you cannot get a 2500 or 3500 with a regular cab. The guys at the dealership say I can but online information disagrees. I don't need back seats. I don't want back seats. Ideally, I'd like a short bed with a regular cab but I have found the long bed useful a handful of times. I mostly tow a trailer around town. I'm going fill the bed mostly with a lawn spraying rig but I'll need room for fertilizer and lime and such.

The dealer drones were really pushing the diesel thing at me pretty hard. I'm not sure I want that.

I'm pretty sure I want to stick with GM but I'm open to suggestions. If you use your truck for work and actually haul/tow, tell me what you suggest.

I'm more than a year from actually buying anything, probably 18 months is crunch time, but I'm setting aside some loot and making plans now.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My company factory orders Chevy 2500 work trucks single cab, long box no frills

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Have you thought of buying one without the bed and adding a flatbed with sloped gate area?

That was my favorite for landscaping. Equipment drove right up easily after grating was welded to the flat plate. No need to tow unless you need it. Eventually the company changed to cab-over box trucks that I did not like as much.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffemt44:
My company factory orders Chevy 2500 work trucks single cab, long box no frills
Excellent. I wonder why there is no mention on the website.

It's definitely a custom order then? I'm trying to find pricing but the dealer doesn't really take me seriously when I say "I'm buying in 18 months". They must rely on impulse buyers.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
https://www.gmfleet.com/vehicl...dy-style/trucks.html

Find a dealer that handles fleet sales maybe

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Have you thought of buying one without the bed and adding a flatbed with sloped gate area?

That was my favorite for landscaping. Equipment drove right up easily after grating was welded to the flat plate. No need to tow unless you need it. Eventually the company changed to cab-over box trucks that I did not like as much.
Well, I've phased out the landscaping and I'm hoping to phase out the mowing and just do fertilizing and related work. There's a lot more to be made in fertilizing it's just really slow to build that part of the business and mowing keeps the family fed right now. I'm going to need to have some sort of locking cover for the spray rig. I guess a truck without the bed could be seriously specialized for the spray rig and fertilizer transport. There's a trade-off though in the time it will take for design and fabrication.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
https://www.gmfleet.com/vehicl...dy-style/trucks.html

Find a dealer that handles fleet sales maybe
Yes, that's the info I needed! Smile

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
In the build your own on the fleet site, the short box is only available in the 1500. The 2500 has to have the long, most likely because the long wheel base helps with the higher tow rating.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Chevy Fleet guy here. GM is currently not manufacturing a 2019 reg cab pickup in 1500 or the HD's, I can get a chassis only. There are a few 2018 models left. I sold my last one a couple of days ago. I do have a reg cab 2500 with a utility. None of this is going to help you in 18 months, by then they will be building the reg cab pickup again. I can help you keep your local dealer honest if you like.

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Re: BigSwede’s offer

This is why I love this freakin place. Big Grin

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Chevy Fleet guy here. GM is currently not manufacturing a 2019 reg cab pickup in 1500 or the HD's, I can get a chassis only. There are a few 2018 models left. I sold my last one a couple of days ago. I do have a reg cab 2500 with a utility. None of this is going to help you in 18 months, by then they will be building the reg cab pickup again. I can help you keep your local dealer honest if you like.
Thank you, friend! Big Grin

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I would verify this with a tax professional, but I was told if you purchase a pick up truck that is partially used for business you must track your personal mileage vs. business use mileage.

If you eliminate the pick up truck bed and install a business use bed, the truck is considered business use 100% of the time.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I would verify this with a tax professional, but I was told if you purchase a pick up truck that is partially used for business you must track your personal mileage vs. business use mileage.

If you eliminate the pick up truck bed and install a business use bed, the truck is considered business use 100% of the time.
I track and log business mileage daily.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly. Something you would no longer have to do if you had some other sort of bed on the back. All of my trucks have utility beds and we do not have to log mileage for tax purposes.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Exactly. Something you would no longer have to do if you had some other sort of bed on the back. All of my trucks have utility beds and we do not have to log mileage for tax purposes.
I see. So if I have a specialized back made for my spray rig I only have to give the tax preparer the mileage on Jan 1 and Dec 31?

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
For years we thought we had to use pickups decked out with tool boxes and pipe racks for our plumbing and elec work... until we got a Van.

You might consider a work van... everything stays in the dry, lockable.
I know a guy that even runs a cleaning service that has gas powered steam cleaner / pressure washers installed in 4 or 5. All properly vented of course.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
For years we thought we had to use pickups decked out with tool boxes and pipe racks for our plumbing and elec work... until we got a Van.

You might consider a work van... everything stays in the dry, lockable.
I know a guy that even runs a cleaning service that has gas powered steam cleaner / pressure washers installed in 4 or 5. All properly vented of course.
If I can get out of mowing altogether I would get a van. Backing up a trailer is the biggest concern. It sucks bad enough with an open pickup backend. Hmmm, maybe with the backup camera it won't be so bad.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I guess a Hennessey is out of the question?

Completely unhelpful linky

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12413 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
There is probably a deal on a 2017 Standard Cab / Long Bed 2500HD waiting for you to find it via gmfleet.com.

GM may not be making that configuration in 2018/2019.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post