SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Modular ladders - Little Giant
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modular ladders - Little Giant Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I'm about to embark on a number of home improvement projects on our house, and am in need of a new ladder.

I have a basic 8 foot A-frame, but need something larger. 25ish feet would be ideal.

Does anyone have any experience with this style of multi-configuration ladders from places like Little Giant? https://www.littlegiantladder....variant=287884509197

Rather than simply getting a traditional 26/28 foot extension ladder, which would be more limited in usefulness and would require extra storage space, I'm thinking about getting one of these.

I could use it as a 26 foot extension ladder. And there are also several spots where setting it up as a 90-degree ladder allowing me to work face-on up against the wall would be really handy. Plus the ability to use it as a scaffolding base, or set up on uneven areas.

These seem nifty, but do they work as well as advertised? Is the versatility worth the extra weight? Are they as stable as a traditional ladder?

Are there other brands or types of ladders that you would recommend?

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the comparable ladder from Werner (Home Depot or Lowes?). Very happy with the purchase.
Very stable ladder! A little heavier to move around, but I never liked traditional ladders being all wiggly.

Edit to add...My only regret was buying too small version of only 13'. Often need more reach.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I love mine. Heavier than an aluminum one, obviously, but a lot more versatile.

Hint: put some white lithium grease on the hinge point pin locks. You'll appreciate it in 20 years (which is how long I've had mine).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I have one. Got it for a good deal at Costco. They're not as handy as their promoters would have you believe, but they are damn nice.

Exceedingly stable. Probably the most stable ladder I own, bar none.

If the joint had an intermediate locking point, about half-way between the A-frame in fully-open point, it'd be great for getting up on low roofs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one and use it fully extended as an A-frame pretty regularly. I’ve also used it on the stairs a few times, very stable. Only drawback is the weight. They are sturdy, but lugging it around the house is a chore.

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I have a type 1AA 21-foot (22-foot?) LG. It’s a heavy ladder but works well.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Little Giant, other than it being a little on the heavy side. I've had mine at least 15 years and it is still as sturdy as when it was new.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I bought a Gorilla, but it's basically the same idea, and I love the hell out of it. I especially appreciate the wide base when I am climbing from first story roof to second.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I’ve had one for years. It has been very good in use, very versatile, but it is a thinking man’s ladder. You have to think what you are doing, and be sure it is properly configured or risk disaster.

We had a light fixture in our previous house high above a stairway landing. No way you would want to try changing bulbs with a typical ladder high enough to reach. This ladder made it possible, albeit at the cost of being heavy and taking time to get it set up properly.

I’m not sure my wife could handle it by herself.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had my Little Giant for 10 years. It is a sturdy, reliable, stable, high quality piece of equipment. I am a large man and I have always felt comfortable using the ladder. It is heavy, but i am not using every day, so i do not mind the weight. There may be others that are comparable, but i have not used them.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a guy install gutter shields for us and he used one and really likes it, and uses it everyday.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What’s this thread without this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZhMfzc9RbU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=raIUDhj7lI0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I have two of the gorilla equivalent for working on X-ray systems. They are pretty useful for rooms with odd layouts.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use them a lot at work. They are versatile and steady, but they are also heavy and awkward at times. I prefer a traditional A frame ladder when I have the option.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started a thread about this a few months ago but to summarize and update...

I had a 22' Little Giant 1A get stolen from my garage back in July and when it came time to replace it my OCD kicked into high gear and I did as much research on something I will use 5X a year as NASA did putting a man on the moon.

I was going to order the Little Giant !A from Amazon because I was pretty happy with my last one and they had it on sale for $170.00 but did not want to wait for shipping nor did i trust it would last long on my doorstep if I wasn't home.

I looked at and purchased a 22' Gorilla and when I got it home and un wrapped it I found it to be a bitt "wobbly" so I returned it with every intention of ordering the LG. Then I saw that Lowes had a sale/reduced price on the 22' 1AA Werner and it was same price as the sale LG and the Gorilla so I did some more reading, spoke yo a member here who was ion the ladder business and a contractor who happened to be at Lowes when I went to look and I ended up with the Werner.

Very happy so far and the thing is sturdy as hell!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have a smaller version although I think mine is from a different company.

They are great for many tasks. Can be stored in a smaller package than other ladders.

Biggest and really the only drawback is the weight. They are heavy. That big one you linked weighs 50lbs. What a pain in the ass to be moving around.

For home use where you would need 3-4 ladders or just this one, it will work fine. At work, we have a bunch of ladders for different jobs. I would hate to lug around a 50# ladder around when I only needed a 4 or 6-foot a-frame ladder.

Again great for what they do they just do it with a weight penalty.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I have had the 22 ft LG for about 5 years now and i really like it. It is heavy but the stability of it makes it worth it to me.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve got one and really like it. I have a normal extension ladder and an A-frame and both get used more than the little giant but there are some jobs that it’s the perfect ladder for what I need. It was the first ladder I bought when I moved into my house and it’s a great first ladder for a homeowner IMO because it can do so many things.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iam2340pro1
posted Hide Post
I've owned a Little Giant 17' model for many years and it has more than paid for itself in usefulness,I would definitely recommend it over a traditional extension ladder for around the home projects.

If we meet and you forget me you have lost nothing but if you meet Jesus Christ and forget Him you have lost everything.

Posts: 758 | Location: Central Alabama | Registered: March 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First I like them in the smaller sizes as they are pretty versatile. But I have never seen one that remotely was an advantage at 25'. Heck I have never seen one remotely that large. I'm not saying it doesn't exist as I've never checked, but it would really be a beast. And its load rating I suspect would be problematic.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post