SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is a “hybrid” bicycle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a “hybrid” bicycle? Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
"SUPERMOTO"

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two words: Electra Townie. I have two. One is a 3 speed and the other is a single speed. The 3 speed is 10+ years old and still ride like new. They are light and their "stretched" frames makes them very comfy to ride.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
As a former "hybrid" bike owner, follow the advice further up the thread: don't buy one. It truly is the worst of both worlds. I suffered with one for about a year before I bought a road bike and a mountain bike.

If you are riding on roads/rail trails, get a road bike. They make flat bar road bikes now, sometimes called "fitness" bikes, so you don't have to have the curly handlebars. They are actually very comfortable to ride, even if they don't look it.

If you are riding off road (or if you'll just be riding casual/slow on road), get a mountain bike. Period. Hybrid forks won't take the pounding that a trail can give. Plus the wider tires will make your ride easier and more comfortable.

Also, go to a bike shop and get an entry-level Trek/Specialized/Felt/whatever. You'll spend an extra $200, but it will be worth it over time. You're going to get a better frame, better components, better service, and the bike will be built by an actual bike mechanic, instead of Bubba what likes to turn them wrenches in the stockroom.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
As a former "hybrid" bike owner, follow the advice further up the thread: don't buy one. It truly is the worst of both worlds. I suffered with one for about a year before I bought a road bike and a mountain bike.

If you are riding on roads/rail trails, get a road bike. They make flat bar road bikes now, sometimes called "fitness" bikes, so you don't have to have the curly handlebars. They are actually very comfortable to ride, even if they don't look it.

If you are riding off road (or if you'll just be riding casual/slow on road), get a mountain bike. Period. Hybrid forks won't take the pounding that a trail can give. Plus the wider tires will make your ride easier and more comfortable.

Also, go to a bike shop and get an entry-level Trek/Specialized/Felt/whatever. You'll spend an extra $200, but it will be worth it over time. You're going to get a better frame, better components, better service, and the bike will be built by an actual bike mechanic, instead of Bubba what likes to turn them wrenches in the stockroom.

I'm not a serious biker; just a casual one. But based on my experience (and have had a hybrid before), +1 on this.

These days, I do mostly trails and minimal road so mountain bike fits me. One friend does road exclusively so obviously road bike. Another does a mix and he using hardtail bike but has two sets of wheels - one with trail tires and one (thinner and more smooth) set for pavement. Good compromise that works for him. Not as ideal as having dedicated bikes for pavement and trail but close enough.

For me, knobbies on pavement is fine. I'm not out to win any races. Hybrid didn't work for me. I'd rather just use mountain bike on pavement.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
To me, most of the bikes mentioned above fall into the cyclocross style, a very light off-road capable bike, but with more road bike proportions.

On the other end, I have a Marin that's more of a mtn hybrid.
Hartdail, front suspension, flat bar, upright/comfot ergo, but with 'hybrid' tires (smooth tread in the center, knobby-ish on the sides).

Great for riding the kids around the block on, but I would take my road bike for any more serious mileage.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
...Another does a mix and he using hardtail bike but has two sets of wheels - one with trail tires and one (thinner and more smooth) set for pavement. Good compromise that works for him. Not as ideal as having dedicated bikes for pavement and trail but close enough...

I actually tend to use my mountain bike for rail trail rides with the family, because they aren't as fast as I am on the road bike. The mountain gearing forces me to ride slower. I have a set of cruiser tires for it, and I'll lock out the suspension fork so it's not so bouncy.

This might actually be the best of both worlds!

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post