SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Explain how Rx shooting glasses work
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Explain how Rx shooting glasses work Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
After a goodly number of years with LASIK giving me good vision, presbyopia is setting in and, although my vision is still good, I'm losing the edge. I can definitely tell that I am losing definition on the front sight (at intermediate distance) and some clarity at distance.

So I went to eye doc and will be getting a relatively mild Rx in some progressive lenses.

I'd like to see about getting Rx shooting glasses with the part of my Rx for the intermediate distances to help with focusing on the front sight.

So how does one go about getting the Rx shooting glasses and how do they work? I was reading some online reviews and some suggested it's just a lense essentially glued to the actual protective lense.

What should I be looking for? Anyone have firsthand experience with corrective Rx in their safety glasses?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
My progressives have helped with the same thing lasix a while back and now find I need glasses for computer, distance and shooting.

Normal Progressives will have you tilting your head back to see the sights, tilt down to see the target, a suggestion I was given is to ask the optician to spec the lowest part up 1 mil to help keep you from having to have your head tilted back to shoot.

I need to get a set done like that..

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have had at least two sets of prescription shooting glasses made. The exact process may depend on your particular doctor. My first time, he allowed me to bring in a real gun, so I brought a S&W revolver with the cylinder removed. The second time I took a wood mockup with SIG sights glued on top. Then it is just a matter of the doctor/optometrist trying various auxillary lenses in front of your regular glasses to find what works best.

As I recall, polycarbonate is the best material. Don't get any shading if you shoot indoors.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ones that I have had for a few years have my right lens focus on front sight distance and the left one set to focus downrange. When I put them on it takes about a minute for my brain to adjust to them. Works great and I don't have to jack my head back and forth.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 726 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Instead of poly (PC), can I suggest you consider Trivex? I think the safety rating is equivalent or better but the better visual acuity, for me, is very noticeable. I've been using Hoya Phoenix (their branded trivex lenses).

I am both near and far sighted. What is working best for me is a near sighted Rx for pistols and the far sighted Rx for rifles with optics (RDS or scope). Depending on your Rx's (if you are both near/far sighted), you could try an intermediate Rx, especially for pistol. It's worked well for me; basically the Rx, just barely keeps the sights in focus while being able to see further distances in focus (vs having the sights be perfectly in focus but have limited distance vision). This works for competitions but not as well for precision shooting.

I use both everyday glasses as well as in Rx insert for Rudy Project safety glasses (the latter especially when shooting near others - classes for example).

ETA: I remembered something after Tator's post. Depending on your Rx, I would definitely get the Rudy Project lenses in my Rx w/out the inserts. I used the inserts because my Rx was such that I would have had severe distortion. My near sighted Rx is coming down with age so I might be able to get a RP with my Rx and not use the inserts. The inserts have worked for me but just one more thing to clean, etc. I think the inserts may be cheaper to replace Rx as well (can use the local optometrist) so long term costs may be lower.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My eye doctor sells glasses too. I walked out of my appt with a script, and bought Wiley X polarized (I fish in them too) progressive bifocal safety glasses. I also picked up some non-tinted frameless progressive bifocal glasses for every day wear.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have just bought the Wiley X in my distance prescription. The progressive bifocals were tough to shoot Sporting Clays.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I've been using MAGSHOT that have corrective inserts. I cut one of the lenses off so my dominate eye can see the front sight and my other eye can see the target hits.
https://www.amazon.com/Magnify...nifier/dp/B005IY8SB6

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
So how does one go about getting the Rx shooting glasses and how do they work? I was reading some online reviews and some suggested it's just a lense essentially glued to the actual protective lense.

You get a shooting prescription (which also usually works well for computer use), by having your optometrist refract your eyes while you look at something at arms length (front sight distance). When you have presbyopia as well as a distance correction, your main prescription is for the distance correction, plus an "add" on top of that for close-up. Bifocals are made by grinding for distance, and adding another small magnifying lens on the surface at the bottom (the window). Progressives incorporate the "add" into the lens in a variable way.

Say your "add" is +2. If you wanted single vision reading glasses, you would just add 2 to your distance prescription across the board, across the entire lens, and grind it with the add built in. For shooting single vision lenses, the add might be +1, or +1.25, or +.75 across the entire lens. Since I've been getting them, my shooting "add" has typically been 1/2 of my full "add". That puts the focus out at front sight distance. If your distance correction is not too bad, you should still be able to see the targets well enough while focused on the front sight.

Some people like shooting glasses to have front sight focus for the dominant eye, and distance focus for the other eye. Those kind made me dizzy. That might work better for rifle shooting, but I only shoot pistols.

I use, and like, Wiley-X with the prescription insert. You can have the insert filled by your optometrist. There are other brands that work well, too.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post