SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Making cedar chips NOT shavings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making cedar chips NOT shavings Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
I have a lot of cedar trees in my fence rows. I have looked into MAKING chips/shavings with them, but everything on the web (that I can find) deals with USES for cedar shavings.
Is it as simple as running these things through a chipper/shredder?
Surely there needs to be some drying in there somewhere?
Educate me, please.

shavings chips

I’ll not be doing anything artsy/crafts with them. Not going into business. No animal bedding. Maybe some mulching type stuff, of spending extra time with a few of the chips to scatter out in the house.
Mainly, I just don’t want to waste the trees, I.e. piling them up and burning them outright.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hudr,

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'd like to make an add on question please. I have pear that I use when grilling/smoking. I have know idea how to make chips/chunks with it. I usually take my sawzall and cut 1.5" discs and then use a old screw driver and a hammer to slit into pieces. Just like making mini firewood. Works good enough, but it takes five minutes to do before I start grilling. I'd love an easy way to do it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I have a lot of cedar trees in my fence rows. I have looked into MAKING chips/shavings with them, but everything on the web (that I can find) deals with USES for cedar shavings.
Is it as simple as running these things through a chipper/shredder?
Surely there needs to be some drying in there somewhere?
Educate me, please.

If you want shavings, you need to use a shaver, silly. Braun makes nice ones.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
You want chips or shavings?

If chips will do, a small gas engine chipper/shredder would be easiest, tho somewhat expensive if that's all you're going to use it for.

If you want shavings, find a relatively straight and knot/twig free piece, strip the bark and shave off what you need with a block plane.

You can get a cheapie at WalMart for around $10

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Leave the trees, go to Tractor Supply or any feed store and buy them by the compacted bag.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Leave the trees, go to Tractor Supply or any feed store and buy them by the compacted bag.

Bingo! Cut those cedars into timbers or beams for rustic mantle pieces, sell them and buy some shavings.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
First you need a bench in front of the post office and then a couple old fellers that like to whittle

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
quote:

Bingo! Cut those cedars into timbers or beams for rustic mantle pieces, sell them and buy some shavings.

You can probably find some wood turner who may be interested in turning some stuff out of cedar. I assume it is Eastern Aromatic Cedar?

That is the one they use to make cedar chests, closets etc.

Turning it on a wood lathe provides some nice shavings. I love turning that stuff, easy, makes beautiful items, and smells so nice.

If it is that aromatic cedar, I would not recommend using it to smoke food!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your goal is fragrant cedar chips, then the chipper is fine. Larger, measurable cedar shavings are another problem. Even using a power planer will likely only make smaller chips/shavings. To make long, say 3"+ shavings, would take a good, larger hand plane.

There are chippers that will take whole, younger cedar trees and make it into a pile of nice smelling chips. Rental comes to mind first. My chipper can do almost 6" diameter and self feeds. It runs from the PTO on my tractor. If you want them all gone a contractor could come in and make the lot of them into a single large pile of chips.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
quote:

Not a good option. These trees are in my fence rows. And 8 have miles of fencerows. They have to come out regardless.
And I have a friend with a chipper, so I won’t be buying one just for this project.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
When I cut down a cedar tree I usually use it for my kindling. At one time there was a fellow that made duck boats out of the white cedar trees here. He built them all by hand tools up until he died in his late 80's. Those duck boats are still called Sammy's around here. A trade handed down from generation to generation.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Turning it on a wood lathe provides some nice shavings.

Neat idea! $229 at Harbor Freight, minus 20% if you have the newspaper coupon.

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to be dumb sounding, but when I want chips I use a chipper. I chip cedar (and other trees) to make ground cover all the time. Now using a normal chipper doesn't result in perfectly uniform product but its completely usable. I use a 12" Vermeer chipper that's a pretty serious chipper so what I make is probably a bit courser than what you would get with a smaller unit. If you want I can take a picture of the end product and email it to you as I have lots of piles around at the moment as I just chipped the winter slash.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't comment on drying. IT really depends on what you intend to do with the chips. If its not for animal bedding (and you can't use cedar for that) really all you need to do is let it dry in piles. Turning if you actually care about the moisture level, but without knowing the use I can't give you a specific schedule. Because chips have a high surface area to volume they dry very fast.

posted Hide Post
Edited the original post for (hopefully) more clarity.

posted Hide Post
Chip them in any normal commercial tree chipper and you will be happy. Assuming you can move the chips later just make big piles and use as you need. If you actually don't have any way to later move the chips (a tractor for example) I'd just chip in place as you remove the trees and enjoy the new path. I do this for a living (I live off my tree farm), so if you want a more specific game plan I'm happy to do so. But in the end...remove trees, chip, do what you want with the chips. be happy.

posted Hide Post
Hrcjon...
Thanks. I have roughly 200 acres of family land that I use for cattle, mostly.
I’ll be moving the chips with my little tractor. I just wanted to be sure I wouldn’t end up with a big pile of crap before I was done. If it was an involved process, I’d just push them into a pile & light it. Smile
That’s what we always did when I was a kid.

I’d sure like to eventually make the bulk of my income from my place, but it’s just not in the cards right now. I need to diversify a bit more.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My 10hp Troybilt chipper/shredded would make proper chips easily up to about 3 1/2" diameter branches.

The 'chipper' part of this kind of device is a different process than the 'shredder' portion of the machine.

With the setting you describe probably your own tractor-powder special chipper tool would be a justifiable expense.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
We always cut the trunks into discs, drilled a hole near one edge, looped a ribbon through them. The gals loved hanging them in the closet.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Snip

If its not for animal bedding (and you can't use cedar for that) really all you need to do is let it dry in piles.

Snip

Please explain, I thought cedar bedding was used for many animals from hamsters to horses.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post