SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Utility Panel with stripped screw holes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Utility Panel with stripped screw holes Login/Join 
Picture of m3zona
posted
Our house is about 3 years old. I recently inspected the utility panel on the side of the house and noticed that the internet contractor stripped all 6 of the screw holes that hold the metal cover to the utility box. The screws are now smaller than the holes they're supposed to fit into and the cover barely stays affixed.

Other than getting larger screws to tighten the panel to the utility box, are there any other options? The panel gets accessed at least once a year so I don't really want to make it difficult to access.

Posts: 62 | Location: Out West | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like sheet metal screws in an application where they have to be removed periodically, and especially if it involves anyone other than myself because they are going to go whether they follow the original threads or not, and end up like you have. My first option would be speed nuts; they come in several variations with tabs that slip over the sheet metal and have a regular nut on the backside. Otherwise you may be stuck going with a larger screw, but only go one size because you'll be making that transition again it sounds like.

Posts: 462 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go up to the next size, self tapping machine screw/bolt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Excam_Man,

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
What is the substrate that the screws attach to? metal, plastic, wood ??

The key is to get the right type of screw.
Then it will need to be a bit larger.
If metal I would tap it but that is a lot of work.
Good Luck

Posts: 22905 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If the mating surface has a flat 90 degree face where the current "stripped" holes are, use these and the correct screw thread and grip length.

Most hardware stores have them.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And don't forget about NutCerts. They have a very low surface profile and become [essentially] a permanent part of the object in which they are installed, although, like pop rivets, they can be removed and replaced if needed. And no, you do not need a special tool to set them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post