SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why did we loose our fur?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why did we loose our fur? Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
No prehensile tails, no compound eyes, fangs or anything.

Speak for yourself there normal guy.

A bit uppity normal guy too.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
'cause it was tight...

I see what you did there.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Because God created us this way.

Thank you!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Two possibilities:

Natural selection
Sexual selection

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Two possibilities:

Natural selection
Sexual selection

Nice guesses... the truth... interbreeding with ancient aliens.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
There are several ideas:
Parasites: less fur meant there were less places for lice, fleas, etc. to infest.
Moving on to the savannah. Chimpanzees stay in the shade. When humans moved to to hunt in the open fur was too hot. Lose the fur and start sweating keeps you cooler.
Big brains: large brains require lots of calories to grow and function. That requires meat, and a lot of it. Being out on the hot savannah ran the risk or over heating our brains.
All this links our loss of fur with our increased ability to swear.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story...e-key-to-our-success

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
We evolved away from it about the time we discovered fire.....for fairly obvious reasons.

We also learned to clothe ourselves, and had the ability and sense to migrate from extreme cold. Having a warm coat was no longer a requirement for survival, and may have even become a liability.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
We invented the razor!

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
We didn't get anything fun. No prehensile tails, no compound eyes, fangs or anything. Razz

...no wings, no spikey horns, no web slingers...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
All this links our loss of fur with our increased ability to swear.

Fucking a right it does! Big Grin

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
'cause it was tight...

I see what you did there......

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Too much shit from PETA.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
We didn't get anything fun. No prehensile tails, no compound eyes, fangs or anything. Razz

I got an opposable thumb...what did you get??

Now that's funny right there. Big Grin

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Try "The Naked Ape" by Desmond Morris for some anthropological takes on it. Read it many years ago and thought it was very interesting.

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Global warming, of course.

It's too damned hot to be running around in a permanent fur coat, especially if you play tennis.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:

...no wings, no spikey horns, no web slingers...

But we got them big, juicy brains, lets us build tools. Who needs any of them fangs and wings and nonsense, when we can just build a rifle, or a jet turbine engine?

The tail would be pretty cool though.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
The fur on my head is loose and I fear that I will soon start losing it. But that's ok; I have plenty of thick, healthy fur in my ears.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I have a lot more white hair now, but this is still pretty accurate.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
As I get older I'm losing hair...but on my arms, legs, underarms. Weird. Thankfully my head still has a pretty good crop.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just the big brain and opposable thumbs.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post