SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I want to make my own griddle. Anybody done this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to make my own griddle. Anybody done this? Login/Join 
posted
I watched one of AvE's old videos and he made a griddle from an old grill. I have one that I just replaced the burners on, and while it is made well, it needs new offsets and cooking grates. At $75 for both, I want to turn this into the old Cockford Ollie griddle.

First and foremost, I have read untold number of online site that specify different thicknesses for optimal heat dissipation. Some have said as little as 1/8, and some have said no 5/8. As for metal choice, I have seen mention of mild steel, A36, and 316 stainless.

Anybody have any guidance? I'll need it 18"x18".

Thanks for the replies

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Made one out of a lid of a agitator washing machine.

It is aluminum and has a lip to hold the grease.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
Some have said as little as 1/8, and some have said no 5/8. As for metal choice,

Ave used full one inch thick!

I bought a 36" rhino and it is about 1/8 at most. I could see thicker as being better for searing large cuts of meat but is fine for most things it seems.

Too thick and it will take too much time and fuel to warm up for a quick burger or two. I would probably just go with what I could find cheap.

I think you will need a rim around it and a path for grease to go and collect.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thicker (within reason) will tend to distort less. 5/8 would be heavy.

Even 1/4” will have some weight to it. I would go with something in that range, we’re I in the market for one.

Is this going to contact open flame? My inclination there would be to avoid aluminum. Enough open flame any it might melt. While the likelihood is slim, I have seen aluminum melt over a campfire. My grill at home puts out 4-500*. Aluminum melt point is 1218*. Like I said - odds are pretty slim.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, no plans to use aluminum. It will s a small grill (18x18), so I'll call around and see what I can find.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Why not buy a ready made one at WalMart or Victoria's Secret?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
A36 is probably the most widely used steel and 1/4" would probably be a decently even heating griddle. Thinner material will give hotspots more readily.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I've seen them at Wal Mart, and they are the real deal, but the steel in thin, there is a massive btu output, and they are coated. Also, I like to build shit and use it. Furthermore, I only get my seafood at Victoria's Secret these days. Their other offerings are too high, and the mall is a righteous pain in the ass.

Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I worked with an Aussie that explained their idea of Bar-B-Q.
According to him they almost never put meat over a flame or coals.
The would find a suitable scrap piece of iron or steel and would put it over the fire/coals and cook the meat that way.
Not being much of a handy man I bought a Lodge cast iron job years ago.
I like the idea of making your own. Good luck with it. Hope you post pics.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

You too?

Every time I see the title of this thread i\I think of a corset.

Maybe I need to get my eyeglass prescription checked.

Another one: I see a certain member's screen name and think of a royal pickle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post