SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lazer dry fire trainers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lazer dry fire trainers Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have any thoughts on lazer trainers? I wanting to get one for Christmas especially in right of the costs of ammunition. Looking in the under $250 range. Thanks.

Posts: 21 | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been using a www.g-sight.com since early summer, and has worked well for me.
The O rings hold it well in the chamber, and require a pencil down the barrel to remove.
I use it in a SA/DA auto, FEG P9R so I do not have to cycle the action each time.
No experience with any other.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I use a RDS for dry fire practice. Makes it easy to see any jiggle in the sight picture when the sear breaks. Doesn’t matter whether or not the RDS and iron sights are aligned.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Laserlite as an option . They make pistols in three sizes.I have a J- frame,compact and subcompact.These are non functional blue guns but match real firearms.They also have three types of reactive targets. Good for training,no real gun so good fun for kids or to teach non gun people some basics.

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I listen to Dan Bongino's podcast a few days each week. He often mentions www.itargetpro.com (promo code is DAN, I think). I've looked at it a few times but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

(Apologies for the crummy pun. I couldn't resist.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwood4
posted Hide Post
Like my Itarget Pro

Posts: 543 | Registered: November 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Here's how I do it:
(lot less money)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...F0k&feature=youtu.be

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I just watched both videos on the iTargetpro site. What I don't get is how the Glock they use resets the trigger when there's no bang or recoil to move the slide back. Do you have to manually rack the slide back after every shot?

Posts: 3520 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I use a LaserLyte laser trainer UNIVERSAL and plain old paper target on the wall to see where they hit.

The disadvantages to the universal trainer is getting it properly seated in the bore and "sighting it in," and, with striker-fired handguns, having to use a snap-caps and racking just so to avoid ejecting them. But it's a lot cheaper than individual caliber laser training rounds.

I also decided to give a CheapShot Tactical Training Laser - O-Ring Cartridge - .45 ACP a try, and it also works well. (Though you'll want to keep a dowel rod or something around to get it out of the chamber.) CheapShot's cartridges are less than half the price of LaserLyte's and get better ratings/reviews.

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Do you have to manually rack the slide back after every shot?

With laser trainer cartridges: Yes, of course. That's the advantage to (external) hammer-fired handguns: No slide-racking.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I have a Beamhit trainer in the garage. It's old technology (uses a cheap web cam to read the hits and only works on windows XP). I actually did use it until I migrated from XP. Then it became too much of a hassle to set up.

I may break it out and try to hook it up in a virtual machine to see if I can still get it going.

My thoughts are that it's better than just dry firing.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
A few friends have the MantisX. I've played with theirs.

I like it (especially the different live/dry fire modes that work in conjunction with a phone/tablet), but I have other needs that have to get addressed before I can buy one.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Laser Ammo Sure strike. Very happy with both the company and product.

I have a small kit with sleeves for 9mm/.40/.45.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
They show the shooter manually cycling the slide between shots.

quote:
I just watched both videos on the iTargetpro site. What I don't get is how the Glock they use resets the trigger when there's no bang or recoil to move the slide back. Do you have to manually rack the slide back after every shot?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes you do but you only have to rack the slide a little bit to reset the trigger. With price of ammo these days a small price to pay to get some dry fire practice with instant feedback and makes it more fun.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post