SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bouncing back from getting laid off from work...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bouncing back from getting laid off from work... Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

Im sure this will turn in to a bitch session from me but I'm at a loss.

About a year ago me and my wife decided to move back to the USA and we decided to move to Alaska, a lifelong dream of mine. Well I found what seemed like an awesome job, I was given some extra responsibilities which I welcomed.

We moved up here, I was able to find my wife some work with the school I'm a teacher at which was awesome of them and something we very much appreciate. When I started, I wasn't given a heck of a lot of training or anything, in fact my supervisor only showed up 4 times the whole year, one of which while I was out in the hospital for my broken ankle.

Anyways, about a week ago I basically get told that with the budget cuts, I'm getting chopped from the list, as was another first year teacher in the district, this is all I know but I do know that about 7 others are leaving the district, weather its by choice or the same story as me, I dont know.

Anyways, I destroyed my ankle, Now I'm finding that I'm not being invited back next year even after I've been absolutely busting my ass doing everything asked of me.

I have no doubt that I'll find a different location, probably a better one too, I just don't understand how this could happen, I never saw it coming and neither did my co-workers who were as shocked as I am.

Its just really frustrating, I've never been fired or laid off before in my life, not even close.

It absolutely sucks to have to balance the job search with my broken ankle, and still have to work the rest of the contract to the best of my abilities while trying to re-assure my wife that things will work out (hard to convince somebody of something you don't really feel).

Anybody been there?, got any advice?

thanks!!!

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your troubles. I have been down and out a few times during my 65 years on this earth, and all I can suggest you pray, keep positive, keep your head up and soldier on. I sure your situation will improve, maybe not immediately, but eventually.
Stay positive my friend.

PS: A Mexican in Alaska? Couldn't you find a warmer place to move to?

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Only advice I really have is to keep your head up.

I was laid off last May. Didn't work until late October when I was hired at the post office. That turned out to be such a nightmare that I quit on the spot a few months later. Now I'm back in the hunt.

Have you kept your LinkedIn updated and kept your networking going?

With me going to school and military duty, I've been busy and I've managed to pay the bills. While we are treading water, I feel fortunate that we aren't drowning. I'm going to hit the job hunting harder in a week when this semester ends. But I have 2 weeks of military duty each in April, May and July and I'm afraid that telling an employer that if I'm hired, I will have to take 2 weeks off right away isn't a good way to start a new job.

Posts: 13049 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, I have been keeping current, I re did my resume and cover letter, I already got it out to a dozen or so places and have had some basic introductory interviews, as well as a few more scheduled.

Its just very worrying, all of my plans were based around continuing where I am for at least another year or so. I just got the rug pulled out from under me on this one

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
newmexican,
Hang in there buddy! Went through some major life changes in last year also with being employed and then not and back again. Very challenging at best. Don't give up. I know it's hard to imagine now but something better will come along for the right reason. Keep trying and thanks for being a teacher. Decades later, I am still motivated by my teachers who cared.

To all Veterans: your sacrifices are not forgotten. Your sacrifices are honored. Welcome home. For those not home yet, please know that many of us pray for your safe return soon.

Posts: 587 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: September 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
You may not want to relocate but it may come to that.

FWIW South Dakota is crying for qualified good teachers. Only nit is the pay is low compared nationally. But the state is an excellent place to live. No state income tax. I'm partial to "west river" with its great sportsmans' paradise. Settled here two and half decades ago and have never looked back.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Hang in there! Its hard but you will be OK.

I've been laid off 3 times in the last 15 years. Each time it was unexpected. And each time I landed a better job, one of them in a financial institution in the middle of the 2009 collapse. These all came as a result of meeting a person who eventually put a good word in for me.

Take a few moments and write down every single person you know or can contact in your or related fields. Call them or send them a personsl email asking simply for a few minutes of their time to help you build your network. One of the people you know, or they know, has a lead on your next job. You have terrific experience, you just need a large network working for you.

Happy to talk more, email in profile.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you have to bust your ass on the job to do the job. Sometimes you have to bust your ass to find a job. Smile It’s the same hustle, just a different boss.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Since you are a teacher, I assume you have been doing this for a while. Teachers with experience are "expensive" to school districts and they tend to hire cheap, right out of school educators. My wife has more credentials and a 4.0 GPA in grad school and has had a terrible time finding a good school district that will hire someone with experience. Sadly or gladly...she is leaving the profession at the end of this school year to pursue anything else she can find. Maybe its different in the great white north, but that's the story for many in Ohio.

However, I have been out of work before myself and you will find something and hopefully better. Just keep pounding away and don't burn any bridges.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
keep your head up.

First time I got laid off was only after 6 months at a new company. I moved there a higher position; it was a start-up that ran out of money. I just made do with the unemployment. I took it as my job then was to find a job.

In two months, I received 3 competing offers. Out of the three, I took a job at another start-up with good potential. It was the best job I've ever had in terms of people, company, and the job itself. But after 3 years, the HQ decided to close the location I was at. I was promised a retention to stay on until the place was shut down completely. A month before my last day, I moved to a new job with an even bigger bump in pay. The old job also paid out my lay-off package and retention bonus.

That new job lasted 8 years when I decided to work closer to home at a new start-up. After six months, I quit because the boss turned out to be such a dick. But when I tallied how long I can last, it turns out the money I socked away at the 8 year job was enough to get me over the hump so that I don't have to work again.

I'm far from being an optimistic person but I've learned things happen for a reason and, often, it's for the better if you set your hopes on something higher than yourself.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best of luck and while it just isn't possible some days work on staying positive.

Was laid off for the first time August of last year after being with a company 4 years and it was pretty unexpected. It was also with a family friend of sorts we have known for 30+ years and I had to choice but to roll with it and pretend like we are all good friends because I absolutely have to have them as references to get back into the field.

What sucks is that they recruited me from the job I had which actually paid better with the benefits and 6 months after I went to work for them moved their office making my round trip commute 2.5 hours as opposed to an hour and 50 min.

All in all I'm happier now even though I'm still without full time employment but man there are still some days it just pisses me off and ends up taking me a few hours to shake it off.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I do like AK, but the practical side of me would choose SD.

All the best. That’s a big move, AK and then maybe out. Get the ankle healed best you can. If you and the wife work together you can get through this. Evaluate somewhat local options. If the opportunities are limited, relocate as needed.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post