SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suez Canal blocked by container ship
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suez Canal blocked by container ship Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
Oops. Must suck - at least this time it is not the US Navy screwing the pooch. Went through the Suez on the IOWA in 1988, and I can't quite see how they screwed this up.

I'm picturing Austin Powers in the tunnel though.

MV #EVERGIVEN
Size: 400m long / 59m wide
Gross tonnage: 219,079
Capacity: 20,388 TEUs (20ft container equivalents).

One of the largest container ships in operation. Massive traffic back up in Red Sea and Mediterranean ends of canal...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That needs to be a "And you thought YOU had a bad day" meme.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Oh good gravy.

AIS shows the EVER GIVEN (max draft 16.0m) stuck just below Ma'diyah; bow to stern blocking.
Other shipping appears to be going around. Or trying to.

EVER GIVEN position Suez

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Get some damn grease!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Huge company letters on the side seems like a great idea until it's visible in these type circumstances.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
... and I can't quite see how they screwed this up.

Loss of power, loss of propulsion, loss of steering...could be any of the three. Or all three.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Steer into the skid...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yup, she's chockablocked alright.

Getting a little crowded at the entrance of the canal.

Most likely the vessel went blackship. I hate when that happens.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Women drivers Big Grin

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Since the starboard side says EVERGREEN, does the port side say EVERRED?

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Went through the Suez on the IOWA in 1988

Jealous AF. Would have loved to have met you before I skedaddled from WeHa.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It's a trap!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Tugs are on site ... trying

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Oh man ...

Kerry Packer

Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Can't they put a couple of tugs on either side and just turn it?

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Getting a little crowded at the entrance of the canal.

What do the different ship colors mean? Oil tanker vs container ship vs military vs yachts, etc?

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 578 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Can't they put a couple of tugs on either side and just turn it?

She's aground. Not sure how hard she's aground, but that makes her awfully difficult to move. Hopefully when the tide is right, they'll be able to refloat her sooner rather than later.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
High tide is about 1h 25mins away ...

Kerry Packer

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoseyWales2:

What do the different ship colors mean? Oil tanker vs container ship vs military vs yachts, etc?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
Sometimes life is a OOPS!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post