SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Connecting Battery Tender to battery in car
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Connecting Battery Tender to battery in car Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
The manual says to connect the charger + lead to the + battery terminal. And then connect the - lead to the car frame or engine. Note that the - lead gets connected to the battery - terminal if the battery is out of the car.

But when I use the ring leads rather than the alligator clips, I don't really have a convenient place to attach the rings.

Is it okay to just attach the - ring to the battery - terminal? Or why not? If not, do I need to run another wire from somewhere (attached to frame) and then attach the ring to that new wire?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run a battery maintainer all winter long on my van connected to both posts on the battery without issues.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How are the "rings" supposed to attach? I'm not familiar with those.

I always read the instructions and then attach to the battery terminals anyway.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I use the rings on both posts, battery in the car and everything connected - no issues.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I do like these guys. Hook the rings to the terminals at the posts. Plug the charging cord halves together. Then plug the charger into the wall outlet.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I do like these guys. Hook the rings to the terminals at the posts. Plug the charging cord halves together. Then plug the charger into the wall outlet.

Yep.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Cool. That's what I did despite the manual. But I was waiting for an explosion all night. Smile

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
The thinking behind that is to make the final connection away from the battery to avoid any sparking near the battery cells. There's a possibility of explosive gasses (hydrogen, I think) from the charging process.

Unlikely in the case of a battery maintainer, more of an issue when connecting a fast charger, a booster or a set of jumper cables.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Good to know the basis.

posted Hide Post
Direct connection is fine. That’s exactly how trolling motor batteries are connected to an onboard charger in a boat.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
The thinking behind that is to make the final connection away from the battery to avoid any sparking near the battery cells. There's a possibility of explosive gasses (hydrogen, I think) from the charging process.

Unlikely in the case of a battery maintainer, more of an issue when connecting a fast charger, a booster or a set of jumper cables.

A battery charger of any type cannot arc or spark if it is not turned on until after you've connected it .

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use the ring connectors on my wife's car. The only time I had to "think" was when I added an extension to the 25 ft Batter Tender 25 ft extender cable. I only needed another couple of feet, but I had to plot out the positive to negative sides of the extension. Otherwise, using their cables, just connect them.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I use a Battery Tender on my motorcycles. Hook the charger harness to the battery per the instructions and anytime they're parked they're plugged in. I get 6 to maybe 8 years out of my batteries, and they crank over no problem. One of the best maintenance accessories I've ever brought.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I've had one on one car are another for 10-12 years. Always connected to the battery directly with the ring connectors. No issues.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an engineer wrote one half of the instructions then an attorney wrote the other half.
For 50 points, guess who wrote which one? Smile

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hey, sorry another dumb question.

Can I use two of the 25' Battery Tender extension leads in-line?

I want to place the Battery Tender in a particular spot near the AC outlet and use it for two cars. I can reach one car with a single 25' extension. But to reach the other car, I need an additional extension. Okay to use a second extension in-line (for long periods - days at a time - just driving to lubricate stuff / avoid tire flat spots / etc).

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Hey, sorry another dumb question.

Can I use two of the 25' Battery Tender extension leads in-line?

I want to place the Battery Tender in a particular spot near the AC outlet and use it for two cars. I can reach one car with a single 25' extension. But to reach the other car, I need an additional extension. Okay to use a second extension in-line (for long periods - days at a time - just driving to lubricate stuff / avoid tire flat spots / etc).
I've had good luck contacting Deltran directly on technical questions. They respond promptly everytime.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll ask them.

Although generally I probably would tend to trust the practical experiences here than a theoretical answer from a company's support center. I'm just not sure who from the company is responding....

posted Hide Post
Longer runs may require heavier leads. Why not just buy a second Tender and leave both cars hooked up all the time?

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Longer runs may require heavier leads. Why not just buy a second Tender and leave both cars hooked up all the time?

2nd Tender is not the issue. Placement of the Tender is. The Tender, just using one 25' cord, requires a small table (don't want to put the Tender on the floor) in order to reach the car battery. Table and Tender would be in the walk traffic area.

I'd like to place the Tender in an area of the garage not in a walk path (where we already have a work bench) and just run a longer cable.

There is a 12' extension -- that may be enough....